Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Finals

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wrestlemania: Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Finals

I feel like I'm trespassing on Jack-Hammer's turf, but I felt like it's not too early to be talking about this. Last night's episode of 205 Live finalized the Semi-Finals of the Championship Tournament, leaving us with our final four.

One one side we have Cedric Alexander vs Roderick Strong in what might the backbreakiest match ever, paired against Drew Gulak vs Mustafa Ali.

There's no combination of finals that I would be disappointed with, but I suspect the finals will be Cedric vs Mustafa. These two had a hell of a match a few months back that made some minor waves. It would be proper poetry to give then a Wrestlemania match so they can make a larger impact on a larger stage.

I think Cedric is a lock, but I'm not going to discount Drew Gulak. His transformation from bumbly-lovable heel into, as JH said in another thread, a Mr. Backlund type, is certainly worth airtime at Wrestlemania. Plus there's an upside for a heel denying two fan favourites a shared Mania moment.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't find Strong at all special. A fine hand to have, but he was never really my cup of tea. You can do all the moves you want, and he does them well, but he has so little personality that I can't get invested.

Outside of that, I have no issue with any of the guys left. My personal preference would be Gulak as I feel he is the most interesting character left, and possibly on 205, but I think Cedric gets the big W. For one, it would seem silly to have a tournament, especially one that ends at your biggest show, end with a heel victory. Two, he has twice had his title shot pushed back. First when Enzo was sick in the hospital and second when Enzo got that millionth Instagram follower. No issue if they go that route, but with the interest in Gulak, I don't think they keep the belt on him long.

I think it'll be Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak in the finals. I'm sorta like Yaz in some ways when it comes to Roderick Strong, I like the guy and think he's someone who can be counted on for quality matches but he's not much on charisma.

I think Mustafa Ali has come a long way as a character over the course of the tournament. These sit down interviews he's done have really made him into a likeable, sympathetic babyface in my eyes but I just don't see it happening.

Gulak is a lot of fun, he's also come a long way in the past several weeks. The potential was always there, you could tell that with his uptight, conservative sort of gimmick but his metamorphosis into a Mr. Backlund type of character, without all the silliness, coupled with his aggression and legit technical skill makes him seem dangerous.

Ultimately, I think Alexader winds up going all the way.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Gulak vs. Alexander was my original prediction for the tournament. It made the most sense and the buildup for Cedric has been going on for months now. However the minute Ali defeated Murphy I changed my mind. I think we go with Ali/Alexander now. There's a bit of backstory there. Recently they fought on 205 Live and absolutely tore the house down. The match was one of the best this year (short timeframe) and the crowd loved it. They were eating it up and that's a big deal for 205 Live. I believe before that they teased some tension between Cedric and Mustafa. We know they are buddies but we also know that if they get in each other's way, they will tear each other apart. As much as I'd love for Gulak to win the title, I think he will ultimately be the guy who dethrones the champ.

As for Roddy, I love Roddy. Dude was one of my favorites on NXT (still is) and I know I'm gonna get a great showing if he is involved. However, I think that's all he provides. I think Roddy will ultimately be that reliable hand, who you know is gonna put on a great show, but not amount to much in terms of accolades. I hope I'm wrong as I find Roddy to be killer.
    Theo was here

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What are the chances of this ending up on the pre-show? I think it would be cool to see it get a main card spot but I don't see it happening.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it's 50/50. While the Cruiserweights are not held in very high regard, but they're making tremendous effort to make it work. Putting it on the main show serve as good faith to that. Hell, might make a hell of an opener.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My preffered finals match up is Alexander Vs Gulak with Cedric going over. They can put on a great match and i wouldn't mind either man walking out champion.

I just hope it's on the main card because they deserve it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does it matter who win? Aren't Ciampa and Gargano going to pop up any month now to give us the emotional investment we need.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    Does it matter who win? Aren't Ciampa and Gargano going to pop up any month now to give us the emotional investment we need.
    Probably. And they do have a lot to contribute, but I think more and more people are beginning to believe in 205 Live. Gargano and Ciampa will be huge plusses, but let's not undervalue 205's critical strides without them. Frankly, many in the tournament are doing the "desperate to get to WrestleMania" storyline almost as well as John Cena. I'm emotionally invested in them, myself.

Cedric Alexander has punched his ticket to WrestleMania. Hell of a match with Roderick Strong ends with the kind of small package roll-up that doesn't leave you feel cheated. Roderick Strong is kinda playing two characters in WWE right now, and it seems to me their modeling his "205 persona" after Dean Malenko. Respectful, but calculating. I would have liked to see Drew Gulak attack Alexander after the match. Even if Drew doesn't beat Mustafa Ali next week, they still have a few episodes without tournament matches before April 8th.

10. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    Frankly, many in the tournament are doing the "desperate to get to WrestleMania" storyline almost as well as John Cena. I'm emotionally invested in them, myself.
    That storyline really resonates with people like Cedric Alexander, Mustafa Ali and Roderick Strong. The emotion displayed by Alexander and Strong this past Wednesday, for example, was palpable. Strong looked like he was ready to yank his hair out and bawl his eyes out due to his disappointment with coming up short after such a high stakes, hard fought match and Alexander delivered about as picture perfect a babyface promo as you can ask of anybody following it. As for Mustafa Ali, these little sit down interview videos of him have really helped him become one of the stand out guys on 205 Live, he's come a really long way in a really short time as a character. Also, like we're seeing right now with what looks to be the budding feud between Tozawa & Itami and the Luchadores, the evolution of Jack Gallagher and Drew Gulak, the foundation is being laid for storylines with actual characters that have a point rather than the sports entertainment silliness that's dogged 205 Live from the very beginning. There's more work to be done but they've made very positive changes and are moving in the right direction.

There's a report via the WON that the finals will be Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali. I like Gulak, I like where they're going with him, but I think this is the right move for WrestleMania. Alexander and Ali are the emotional centers of the tournament and having them just go out there, tear it up and leave it all in the ring rather than the traditional babyface vs. heel dynamic with Alexander vs. Gulak is probably the best way to go.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

12. Likes smarkmouth liked this post

Thread Information