Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owens and Zayn in the ARMBAR??!

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fuck it, it's a good idea as any. It would make the ARMBAR watchable at least. K.O and Sami running wild and eliminating dozens of wrestlers would be fine by me.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WWE will want eyes on the ARMBAR this year as the HBO documentary is slated for release a few days later. I'm not surprised that a few main roster upper-carders are rumoured for the match. I've said in another thread that it would be cool if some people in the match called out Cena for being "too good" for the Battle Royal. Sami and KO would be a good choice to do that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    A) A clusterfuck ladder match at Wrestlemania? Truly groundbreaking

B) HAHAHAHA NO!

C) You mean start a feud with the guy who had been involved in about one original feud in five years and hasn't been in an interesting feud in even longer? That seems like money

D) Roode is already involved in a program that will likely carry him into Wrestlemania, and it likely won't get him off the pre-show. Even if it does, Roode needs a marque W

E) This is the best option, but at the same time, it is simply a title shot for the sake of a title shot. What has Owens (Or KO/Sami as a team) done to deserve any form of title shot?

And the reason Owens is not a big time player is because he isn't booked accordingly. Jinnder Mahal was World Champion for six months, but he wasn't a major player because no one bought it. You can have Owens beat up Vince, Shane, Stephanie, the deformed McMahon sister they keep locked in a basement in Stanford. None of it matters if they book him like a loser, and they have.

He needed outside interference to beat Shane McMahon. His Universal Title win was used as a building block for lackluster Triple H part time feud #4 (which Owens wasn't even part of). His entire lackluster run as Universal Champ was used to build to a lackluster US Title feud with Jericho. The Face of America thing was terrible for the three weeks that lasted. So yeah, Owens is not a major player because he isn't booked like one.

Besides, go back to that earlier list. Big Show is a former World Champion and got physical with McMahons more than once. Yeah, he is up there is age but he has been in each one thus far. Kane is another who fits both those criteria. The Miz and Mark Henry were both World Champions. Del Rio as well. Ditto Rey Mysterio and Sheamus.

Look, I get it, you don't want a guy, or guys, you like being in a pointless match at the biggest show of the year. Nothing at all wrong with that, but to pretend that 1) They are somehow above the match based on pre determined accomplishments and 2) That any of the other options you suggested (Minus Shane) are anything other than pointless as well, well pretending those things is just silly.
    Clear something up for me. Do you believe that Owens should be booked as a big time player or not? Because if you believe that Owens should be booked as a big time player and that he is GOOD, then you know that you can't just throw him in a battle royal. Sure, Owens' year sucked. But Randy's was worse. Randy, by your logic, also deserves to be in the ARMBAR. And why should Roode be at the main card in a proper feud and not Owens?

Yeah, they don't have anything going for him at the moment. But the fact that he's being placed in there, doesn't mean that he deserves to be in there. He's there because creative just fucked up and decided to leave them without any proper feud.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA 2.0 View Post
    Clear something up for me. Do you believe that Owens should be booked as a big time player or not? Because if you believe that Owens should be booked as a big time player and that he is GOOD, then you know that you can't just throw him in a battle royal. Sure, Owens' year sucked. But Randy's was worse. Randy, by your logic, also deserves to be in the ARMBAR. And why should Roode be at the main card in a proper feud and not Owens?

Yeah, they don't have anything going for him at the moment. But the fact that he's being placed in there, doesn't mean that he deserves to be in there. He's there because creative just fucked up and decided to leave them without any proper feud.
    He is good. He isn't great, but he is good. If creative hadn't booked Owens like a loser for the past, well the better part of a year, he would be worthy of having a story going into Wrestlemania. The moment he got paired up with Shane, it was a death sentence, because we all started to see just how much the creative team looks at Shane and sees $$$. Owens is not a guy who transcends the product that you are losing business if you don't book him into a storyline for Wrestlemania, and given that after Fastlane they will have less than a month to build something for him, I don't want to see something rushed just for the sake of putting him in something.

Like I said, he is not Cena who will draw people in no matter the story. He isn't Orton, who still draws. He isn't Roman who is the most over guy on the roster in terms of drawing a response. He isn't AJ, who has had some of the best booking since he came to WWE and is arguably the best pro wrestler working today. He isn't an attraction like Lesnar or Rousey, or even on a lesser level like Trips or Angle. The fact is, Owens, for as much talent as he has, does not transcend the product in ways other guys do and him being in a throwaway battle royal is not some great travesty. Since he got to WWE, he has been booked as a secondary player, which truth be told, I think absolutely suits him. Since his program with Cena, nothing he has done has made a lasting impact and his Universal title reign caused viewership to decline. Most will call it shitty booking, some will point to Owens not being as talented as smarks would like him to be, but the fact is that Kevin Owens in WWE is not Kevin Steen in ROH. Yeah, there will be people on internet wrestling boards who piss and moan about this, but they will still watch, so it isn't having any impact on anything at all.

You also ignore the possibility that KO and Sami being in the ARMBAR is a catalyst for something. Maybe they play up the great disrespect they are being shown by being put here. Maybe it is simply the lazy option to set up their next program through some form of in ring encounter. More likely though, this is WWE signaling they are giving up hope on Owens to ever be anything more than a secondary player.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just....why? We've spent months and months building up Shane and/or Bryan vs. Owens/Zayn and now we're just dropping that for what? Some Shane singles match that gets thrown together in a month? This is the kind of stuff that gets on fans' nerves and makes Smackdown nearly unwatchable at times.

Now that being said, Sami and Owens going to the battle royal is another bad idea as odds are they won't win. Instead, odds are we'd be seeing them thrown out and fighting each other later as a result while some midcarder wins the battle royal. That's fine if the winner goes somewhere, but the battle royal doesn't have the best track record. This would be another item on the list of things that make your head hurt about this year's Wrestlemania.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    Just....why? We've spent months and months building up Shane and/or Bryan vs. Owens/Zayn and now we're just dropping that for what? Some Shane singles match that gets thrown together in a month? This is the kind of stuff that gets on fans' nerves and makes Smackdown nearly unwatchable at times.

Now that being said, Sami and Owens going to the battle royal is another bad idea as odds are they won't win. Instead, odds are we'd be seeing them thrown out and fighting each other later as a result while some midcarder wins the battle royal. That's fine if the winner goes somewhere, but the battle royal doesn't have the best track record. This would be another item on the list of things that make your head hurt about this year's Wrestlemania.
    Wait.. it gets worse. Here is another rumor, as to who WWE wants to win the battle royal. He's a big name and WWE hopes he will bring publicity just in time for the Andre documentary.

Click for Spoiler:
    Goldberg

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They would at least make me want to watch the ARRMBAR this yearcas opposed to skipping it so that's a check in the plus column.

Matches like this need top(ish) talent so people give a fuck. I don't see anything wrong with them being in it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    They would at least make me want to watch the ARRMBAR this yearcas opposed to skipping it so that's a check in the plus column.

Matches like this need top(ish) talent so people give a fuck. I don't see anything wrong with them being in it.
    Hey! Milenko coming in with the solid point. The ARMBAR is basically the de facto piss break now that we are supposed to care about the women. If you fill it with 30ish low card guys, then people will give zero shits as opposed to the two or three shits they currently give. You need some uppercard guys to bring name value to make the match worthwhile.

And let us not pretend that battle royals are not the fun type of clusterfuck. Yeah, just like the Rumble, you will have your Curt Hawkins do nothing of note and your R-Truth spend three or four minutes at a time hooking himself lazily on the ropes while a couple of guys pretend to try to lift him, but you are also going to get fun spots. Cesaro bodyslamming Big Show over the top rope was a cool moment despite nothing coming of it. The way the crowd erupted when Damien Sandow finally stood up to Miz was great. Even seeing that uninformed security guard try to keep Gronk from doing his job last year was fun. Even the mid match spots have been memorable at times. Mark Henry eliminating all three members of 3MB at once, Fandango dancing on the apron and Sheamus beating twenty+ forearms into his chest. Cesaro uppercutted Rey out of mid air to eliminate him. Kofi has done his save routine. Wrestlemania 32 had Shaq and DDP (and Tatanka) to spice things up.

Thread Information