Thread: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards Are Out

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards Are Out

And.....yeah I can't say I'm surprised.

It’s that time of year again. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards have been released and that means it is time to hear about how bad WWE is, how great AEW is and how no one really knows any other promotions aside from those two and New Japan. As usual, some of these are going to be good, some of these are going to be in the middle, and some of these are going to either make you laugh or need an aspirin. Let’s get to it.

As usual, I’ll be skipping the MMA awards because they’re still not wrestling.

Wrestler Of The Year – Jon Moxley

I can get this, but the garbage brawls in the main events were starting to grate on me. It was almost always going to be him or Drew McIntyre though and that’s fine. Roman Reigns was great, but he was gone for about half of the year so it’s kind of hard to go with an amazing four months over a very good twelve months.

Most Outstanding Wrestler – Kenny Omega

Are you really surprised by this in any way, shape or form? It’s pretty clear that Meltzer thinks Omega is the greatest thing ever so him winning this is hardly a shock whatsoever.

Tag Team Of The Year – Young Bucks

They don’t hold the Tag Team Titles for most of the year but they’ve won the award five times before so…..yeah of course they win here, despite maybe not being in the top three teams in AEW.

Best Interviews – Eddie Kingston

Yep.

Promotion Of The Year – All Elite Wrestling

Some of you may be noticing a pattern emerging here and while this is far from some ridiculous pick, I think you might be starting to see how these awards are going to go. If you’re talking just WWE vs. AEW then yeah I can see it, but I’d take NXT overall if that’s an option (and fair enough if it wasn’t).

Best Weekly TV Series – AEW Dynamite

It’s a toss up between this and NXT, though Ring of Honor’s Pure Tournament stuff was quite good. Again though: with a six month hiatus, how much praise can you really give them? Same with NXT UK, though the hour being chopped off is a helpful tool.

Match Of The Year – Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. Young Bucks

That’s what I had too.

MVP Awards

USA – Kenny Omega

Japan – Tetsuya Naito

Mexico – Rey Fenix

Europe – Walter

Non-Heavyweight – Hiromu Takahashi

Women’s Wrestling – Bayley

These continue to be the most pointless awards of the year, but given that Fenix wrestled in Mexico FIVE TIMES in 2020 (and not at all from March 7 – December 12), I think there might be some better candidates.

Box Office Draw Of The Year – Conor McGregor

The guy fought once for 40 seconds in January. This is a totally realistic comparison to wrestlers appearing for free on television 52 weeks a year.

Feud Of The Year – Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston

I had it on my list of options but went with Bayley vs. Sasha Banks instead. Part of the problem is they only had two matches, one of which was thrown onto TV because of Lance Archer being held off the show. The promos were great, but I could go with a bit more than something that lasted about five weeks, started out of necessity more than a plan, and had some pretty obvious results.

By the way: that is now eight awards (not counting ones including MMA or the regional MVPs) and AEW has swept the year. WWE’s lone win: their international developmental champion who didn’t appear for six months and wrestles elsewhere.

Most Improved – Britt Baker

I could see this one, but I’m really not sure I can go with it. Bobby Lashley had a banner year and seemed primed to FINALLY move into the main event. Roman Reigns is the best heel in years (again: time issue). Bayley found every groove you could want as a heel. But then there’s Main Event Jey Uso, who may I remind you is JEY USO IN THE MAIN EVENT. Baker was very good and I don’t see it as some horrible choice, but Uso blows this away for me, just due to the surprise factor alone.

Most Charismatic – Maxwell Jacob Friedman

If you go with the stuff before the Inner Circle, it’s hard to argue. Sidenote: Orange Cassidy got second place. Isn’t his thing that he doesn’t have charisma or energy or anything close to it 90% of the time?

Best Technical Wrestler – Zach Sabre Jr.

That guy is so good with this stuff that he scares me, mainly because I don’t know how he is doing what I’m watching. I’d say that qualifies (and it has for seven years in a row now).

Best Brawler – Jon Moxley

His brawls aren’t even that great. I’m not sure who I would give this to, but I don’t think it’s Moxley. Lance Archer maybe? His are a bit more entertaining a good chunk of the time.

Best Flying Wrestler – Rey Fenix

I mean, he misses a lot of stuff but there are times where I can’t believe what I’m seeing from him so yeah I’m good with this too.

Most Overrated – Bray Wyatt

One day I’m going to need to get a definition of overrated, because it seems to be a lot closer to overpushed than anything else. And hey: WWE won something! Sure it’s a negative award but the streak is broken!

Most Underrated – Ricochet

Again: who thinks Ricochet is underrated? People are begging for him to be more regularly pushed. That’s not what underrated means, at least anywhere else. By the way: this is now 24 years in a row (and 27/28) that a WWE wrestler has won this award.

Rookie Of The Year – Pat McAfee

I would have been actually mad if this had been ANYONE else.

Best Non-Wrestler – Taz

I had Pat McAfee as he barely wrestled, but Taz is a fine choice as he has revitalized his career.

Best Television Announcer – Excalibur

Not until he learns how to properly say “combination”. Excalibur isn’t the best commentator on either show he appears on, nor is he anywhere close to the best in the business today. That goes to the criminally underrated Ian Riccaboni, who makes wrestling sound like a sport, makes Nickelodeon and TGIF references and seems like the nicest guy in the world. This is the most wrong of all the choices, but I guess commentary stopped being about telling stories etc. and becoming more about knowing who invented an armbar in Japan thirty years ago while wearing a mask and insulting JR for suggesting that Mid-South was good.

Worst Television Announcer – Michael Cole

Is that who is under Excalibur’s mask?

Best Major Wrestling Show – Revolution

I didn’t even have to look it up. I’m going to assume that Takeovers don’t count as major shows because I need to keep my blood pressure low and move on.

Worst Major Wrestling Show – Super Showdown

It’s the only show where I felt guilty for watching it so I think that qualifies.

Best Wrestling Maneuver – One Winged Angel

You knew this was coming as that’s 4/5 years in a row. I can’t wait for someone to kick out of that thing so we can stop acting like it’s the legdrop or Stunner.

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic – WWE Releases Wrestlers While Making Record Profits

And no. Back in April, WWE released a few dozen wrestlers. Some of the names included:

Eric Young

EC3

Mike/Maria Kanellis

Aiden English

Heath Slater

Curt Hawkins

Sarah Logan

Primo/Epico

No Way Jose

Curtis Axel

There were other names and yeah some of them (Rusev/Good Brothers) felt pretty ridiculous. But look at that list of 12 names and tell me who had any serious value in WWE. Not who COULD have had value, but which of them was more than house show filler at the time of/within let’s say six months of their release.

Yeah it sounds harsh that they were released, but WWE isn’t a charity and as William Regal once said, no one owes you a living. The same is true of the agents who were furloughed: there aren’t as many shows taking place, so what are they supposed to get paid to do? I get the knee jerk reaction to this (and I had one as well because it was so shocking), but WWE has done this kind of spring cleaning for YEARS (not as much recently, but it’s hardly some unheard of idea) and it wasn’t a big deal. Low level wrestlers got released. That’s not disgusting.

You know what is? Matt Hardy flying off of a lift, slamming his head onto the concrete and being cleared about three minutes later so he could climb the set to do a stunt to end a match with Sammy Guevara at All Out. What WWE did was business (not nice business, but business). What AEW did with Hardy was disgusting.

Worst Television Show – Raw

At least it didn’t have Tommy Dreamer as a featured star, a still going feud over a wad of money, a portal to another dimension so the wrestlers could have a reality show, Eric Young as World Champion and a whodunit over a manager getting shot at a wedding by someone who was changed into another personality by cologne. Oh or another promotion coming in to constantly point out how pathetic the show is. I can’t imagine how badly that show would be seen. The more I read these things, the more convince I am that I’m the only person who watches ROH and Impact.

Worst Match Of The Year – Bray Wyatt vs. Braun Strowman (Swamp Fight)

I went with that too, though if you want to go with an actual match, that time where Matt Hardy’s head bounced off of some concrete and he continued the match in a few minutes because AEW’s concussion protocol can be done faster than defrosting a frozen General Tso’s chicken might qualify.

Worst Feud Of The Year – Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt

That’s kind of hard to argue.

Worst Promotion Of The Year – WWE

AEW’S OWNER IS COMING TO IMPACT WRESTLING EVERY WEEK TO TELL THEM HOW MUCH THEY SUCK AND IMPACT’S OWNERS ARE COMPLETELY OK WITH THIS!!! As usual, fans think that Raw is all WWE does and as usual, those people are wrong.

Also, the Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic Award was related to WWE’s business practices. Those practices are making them millions upon millions upon millions of dollars a year, not counting the latest (yes latest) BILLION dollar deal that they announced early in 2021. Yeah they have one bad TV show, but they probably make more in a month than most promotions do in a year. Now what’s worse: a bad TV show from a company making no money or a bad TV show from a company making more money than we could ever hope to spend in a lifetime?

Best Booker – Tony Khan (AEW)

You knew (wait for it)

Best Promoter – Tony Khan (AEW)

It was coming (there you go)

Best Gimmick – Orange Cassidy

When your gimmick is being lazy, I’m not sure how much praise it is worth. At least he’s back down in the midcard where he belongs.

Worst Gimmick – The Fiend

It won Best Gimmick in the year of a DQ inside the Cell and wins Worst Gimmick here. What a fickle bunch. I’d probably go with Dexter Lumis, but I get that he has an audience.

Best Pro Wrestling Book – Killing The Business (The Young Bucks)

I have a wrestling bookshelf across the room from me, plus a pile next to me at the moment. Between those we have:

The Eighth Wonder Of The World (Bertrand Herbert/Pat Laparde)

Under The Black Hat (Jim Ross)

Rowdy (Ariel/Colton Tombs)

Master Of The Ring (Tim Hornbaker, which I don’t own but want to pick up)

Take any 320 pages out of those (it can be from any book in any order) and I have a feeling it’s going to be better written/more interesting than the Bucks’ story.

Documentary Of The Year – Owen Hart (Dark Side Of The Ring)

That wasn’t even the best episode of the season, but I can go with it for the emotional impact.

Final tally (ignoring awards for things other than wrestling/regional MVPs and one off wins from outside the big two):

AEW – 19

WWE – 10 (8 negative, with Underrated being kind of a negative as well)

I have no issue buying that AEW was better than Raw, Smackdown and NXT, but come on with some of these. Raw for Worst TV Show? Cole as Worst Announcer? Excalibur as Best Announcer? WWE as Worst Promotion (again: IMPACT IS HAPPY WITH AEW COMING OVER AND INSULTING THEM!)? The Bucks get book of the year?

I’ve said many times before that there is no such thing as being unbiased in reviewing (it’s literally impossible). That’s all well and good, but there is a difference between being somewhat biased and just picking what you like and going against what you don’t like. These awards have felt like they are more the anti-WWE awards for years and if that’s what the people voting think then rock on, but good grief with some of these.

WWE wasn’t great in 2020, but it’s not like AEW was that much better. These would have you believe that 2000 WCW was laughing at WWE and it just wasn’t that bad. I’m not upset about any of them (save for the Promotional Tactic deal, which was just dumb) but I’m also not surprised by some of the most ridiculous ones.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Honestly who cares about Meltzer

3. Likes #AbsoluteUnit liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've never read his stuff but looking at those winners you would think AEW is an outstanding promotion. Personally it is my least and this is from somebody who has been watching Raw.

5. Likes #AbsoluteUnit liked this post
    Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wrestling Observer is Fox News and Dave Meltzer is Donald Trump. It's really that simple.
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dave Melter is salty that he can't get into the Inner Circles in the WWE. Fair play to the guy for cultivating a following but his awards like credibility when they are so nonsensical.

Dave Meltzer is so insignificant to the wrestling business that if his existence was wiped from ever beginning, the wrestling buisness wouldn't even notice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Wrestling Observer is Fox News and Dave Meltzer is Donald Trump. It's really that simple.
    I wouldn't go that far lol.

Meltzer and his fans seem to think their preferences in wrestling are objective facts, and as such, he probably finds AEW thrilling because it appeals entirely to his sensibilities. Meltzer's achieved a hell of a deal in getting a wrestling show to cater to him and his cult of personality he's developed over the years.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not a fan of him but yeah, these are beyond ridiculous.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

#RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Reasons to watch Raw
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    I wouldn't go that far lol.
    OK, We're entitled to differing opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Meltzer and his fans seem to think their preferences in wrestling are objective facts, and as such, he probably finds AEW thrilling because it appeals entirely to his sensibilities. Meltzer's achieved a hell of a deal in getting a wrestling show to cater to him and his cult of personality he's developed over the years.
    I guess you would go that far....

Lets take what you said. If you replace Meltzer with Trump, wrestling with politics/news, and change AEW to Fox News (I'm not making a comparison between AEW/Fox, my case is about the Wrestling Observer).

Trump and his fans seem to think their preferences in politics are objective facts, and as such, he probably finds Fox News thrilling because it appeals entirely to his sensibilities. Trump achieved a hell of a deal in getting a news channel to cater to him and his cult of personality he's developed over the years.

Where's the lie?

*please note, this is not a political post. I'm sure the other political parties have/had similar issues. I'm just using the most recent example.
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Reasons to watch Raw
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    OK, We're entitled to differing opinions.

I guess you would go that far....

Lets take what you said. If you replace Meltzer with Trump, wrestling with politics/news, and change AEW to Fox News (I'm not making a comparison between AEW/Fox, my case is about the Wrestling Observer).

Trump and his fans seem to think their preferences in politics are objective facts, and as such, he probably finds Fox News thrilling because it appeals entirely to his sensibilities. Trump achieved a hell of a deal in getting a news channel to cater to him and his cult of personality he's developed over the years.

Where's the lie?

*please note, this is not a political post. I'm sure the other political parties have/had similar issues. I'm just using the most recent example.
    Fair enough, I just wouldn't go as far to compare Meltzer to Donald Trump because politics have serious consequences, and for as daft as Dave can be, he's not as ignorant and narcissistic as Trump.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Meltzer is one of the worst things to ever happen to pro wrestling. Awards like these do nothing to dissuade me from that opinion.

14. Likes Storm Trooper, #AbsoluteUnit liked this post

Thread Information