Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Workout Thread

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't do any exercising at all. If you want to look like an out of shape JBL, I'm your guy.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Currently doing StrongLifts 5x5. Recently switched to 3x3 because I was getting nauseous after doing 5x5 on 265 lbs. squats and throwing up after the workout. The switch has made a hell of a difference and I'm getting stronger. Here's where I'm at currently:

Squat: 300 (I'm supposed to be at 285, but I made the jump to challenge myself. Managed to get the 3x3).
    Bench press: 155
    Row: 170
    Overhead press: 135
    Deadlift: 310 (Jumped from 290 to keep it ahead of squats).

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I

Had a torn meniscus and MCL repaired

Tore an abdominal muscle

have three herniated discs in my back

and hip bursitus

So I dont do much of shit any more.

I lift, but not crazy, and no more free weight. All machines, medium to low weight, medium to high reps. Most cardio is done on the exercise bike a few times a week.

A far cry from what I was during the original workout thread days, but thats what years of not taking care of yourself properly will do.

Im on the wall of my gym in the thousand pound club, and have a video of me overhead pressing 315 from back in those days, its all good. I had no stated goal when I started, and im comfortable that the heights I reached were pretty damn good. Working out is way more of a chore now than back then, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Lift with proper form, warm up, always be very mindful of core strength and your felixibility. TRUST ME.

4. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 13thNorthMan View Post
    I

Had a torn meniscus and MCL repaired

Tore an abdominal muscle

have three herniated discs in my back

and hip bursitus

So I dont do much of shit any more.

I lift, but not crazy, and no more free weight. All machines, medium to low weight, medium to high reps. Most cardio is done on the exercise bike a few times a week.

A far cry from what I was during the original workout thread days, but thats what years of not taking care of yourself properly will do.

Im on the wall of my gym in the thousand pound club, and have a video of me overhead pressing 315 from back in those days, its all good. I had no stated goal when I started, and im comfortable that the heights I reached were pretty damn good. Working out is way more of a chore now than back then, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Lift with proper form, warm up, always be very mindful of core strength and your felixibility. TRUST ME.
    Understandable. When you've had injuries like those, it's wise to be as cautious as you can and is probably best to keep your workouts more low key, such as what you're doing. My cardio is mostly power walking, I've never been much of a runner due to hip issues and I get bored really quickly using a bike or machine. Basically, I just go for a nice, brisk 6 to 8 mile walk a few days a week in the park, though I admit I do get a little lazier than I should sometimes during the winter when it comes to that.

One thing I do avoid is the dead lift. When I was in high school, I pulled the muscles in my lower back severely several times, something that's happened a handful of times over the years since, but I wasn't even doing dead lifts at the time. I figured that if I my lower back was that vulnerable, then dead lift was something I was probably better off avoiding.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    Understandable. When you've had injuries like those, it's wise to be as cautious as you can and is probably best to keep your workouts more low key, such as what you're doing. My cardio is mostly power walking, I've never been much of a runner due to hip issues and I get bored really quickly using a bike or machine. Basically, I just go for a nice, brisk 6 to 8 mile walk a few days a week in the park, though I admit I do get a little lazier than I should sometimes during the winter when it comes to that.

One thing I do avoid is the dead lift. When I was in high school, I pulled the muscles in my lower back severely several times, something that's happened a handful of times over the years since, but I wasn't even doing dead lifts at the time. I figured that if I my lower back was that vulnerable, then dead lift was something I was probably better off avoiding.
    The deadlift, if anything, would solve the problem because of how much it would strengthen your lower back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elky View Post
    The deadlift, if anything, would solve the problem because of how much it would strengthen your lower back.
    While you are technically correct, the risk of going too much, of not warming up perfectly, of jerking the weight is immense. Unless under the care of a personal trainer, I would stay away from them too. Which deeply saddens me, since a big part of that thousand pound club was my deadlift. I fucking LOVED deadlift, T-Bar row, and over head press, by far my favorite lifts. This also makes me intimately familure with the risks and reoccuring issues one can have with them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, ultimately if you don't want to deadlift then that's perfectly fine. The Rock doesn't deadlift and he's doing just fine.

But the best way to conquer fears of deadlifting is by just doing it. I used to be deathly afraid of blowing out my back via poor form, but once I started using Mark Rippetoe's 5 step deadlift and just listened to my body rather than overthinking form, I've gone from 65 lbs to over 300 without having any weird feelings in my lower back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With all due respect, 300 isn't a weight that one would need to worry at anyways.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely a far cry from what I remember reading you did NorCal but times change. Reading that thread actually got me motivated to workout hardcore. I still remember Rickyâ??s ridiculous questions and Liger praising low carb at every turn.

Iâ??m not supposed to be doing half the stuff I am right now if my medical paperwork is anything to go by actually and it will come back to haunt me later. I had a disc sticking into my spinal cord two years back and had surgery, took a long time to get semi back to what I was before along with losing about 50lbs. Junk foodâ??s deliciousness tends to increase when you know you canâ??t work out anyway lol.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Food is the thing that would kill me if I went full gym junkie. No fucking way could I give up food and drink (not alcohol necessarily)

Thread Information