Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Fandom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All my favourites teams come from originally playing video games of the sport (except MLB) and just liking a player and sticking to that team.

Lakers were the first American team to enter my heart. NBA live 06 was my first or second basketball game (NBA ham being the other) and Kobe Bryant would always be my first pick in fantasy draft so I just decided to like the Lakers. Weird stage as well. After Shaq but before Pau, hard times.

Philly Eagles came about because I use to play NFL street and Donovan McNabb was my boy. I never really watched NFL (consistently) until about 4-5 years ago so my knowledge on what was actually going on was limited. Have watched every game since 2012 pretty much but I haven’t been as excited for a player than I am for Wentz when I see him on there since McNabb so I’m really into it at the moment. Also the Eagles are the name of my favourite team in the AFL (Aussie rules) so it kind of goes hand in hand.

Arizona Diamondbacks. Yeah no real story to this, started watching a few years ago and didn’t really have a team for the first year. I decided to pick D-backs because they could score but weren’t a good team but still had a decent player (Goldy). I’m not as into one side in the MLB because I still really like the Athletics, Cubs, Cards and Mariners but Arizona are definitely the team I support when it comes down to it.

Manchester United, back when Pro Evolution Soccer was good, the United team was stacked on there, being 8 it 9 at the time, you like being the best so having Rooney, Ronaldo and Owens all up in one attack was sexy. Ronaldo is still my favourite player to this day but I stuck to the Red Devils because my brother liked Chelsea and mate liked Arsenal, so I had to stay in the prem league.

10 year old me seemed like a huge glory hunter (though how else do you like a foreign sport I suppose), but I’ve stuck through the good to the bad to the good coming back again so that’s all that matters.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    College sports: Kentucky Wildcats. Graduated from UK in 2010, live ten minutes away from Rupp Arena, why settle for anything but the best?

MLB: Cleveland Indians. My dad is a die hard baseball fan and had stickers of each team on his tool box. I always liked the Indians logo as a kid and became a fan as a result.

NFL: Dallas Cowboys. The first game I ever remember seeing was Super Bowl XXX between Dallas and Pittsburgh. My dad is a Steelers fan so I picked the other team and they won. I stuck with them.

NHL: Dallas Stars. No idea why and I only know one player on the team. I'm far from what you would call a real fan.

NBA: New Orleans Pelicans. Back when they were the Charlotte Hornets, they had two UK players in their starting lineup. Who else could I like?

Super League (Rugby League in England): Leeds Rhinos. My wife is a huge fan and took me to a few games. It was a lot of fun and Rhinos is a rather cool name for a team.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NFL: Minnesota Vikings. Mom and dad were both Vikings fans. I was corrupted at a young age, and now I bleed purple. Tears have been shed over my team even going back 20 years. This is my one true sports team love. I have a god damn Minnesota Vikings garden gnome in my office.

NBA: Warriors and Wolves. Alright hear me out. Not a bandwagon jumper, I just follow certain players. Curry was one of my favorite players when he played in college, so when he jumped to the NBA I started following him and the Warriors. It just so happens they become a god damn juggernaut a few years later. This may be rescinded if they win again, it's getting boring. Wolves are kind of my 8 hours away hometown team, and I really like KAT.

MLB: Minnesota Twins. They won the World Series a little less than 2 months after I was born. Again, see Vikings, Wolves as they're my hometown team.

NHL: Minnesota Wild and Dallas Stars. When the North Stars moved to Dallas, there was no hockey team around here, so I just stayed with the Stars. Then the Wild were created and they're my primary team now.

NCAA Basketball: Syracuse. Always liked saying the name Syracuse growing up, so I kind of stuck with it. Plus that zone defense is sexy. Villanova is kind of a secondary team to me as I always seem to overrate the fuck out of them while filling my brackets out.

NCAA Football: Uh.....Oklahoma I guess? I don't follow one team super close but I guess Oklahoma would be my pick. Mostly because Adrian Peterson was my favorite NFL player for a lot of years.

NCAA Hockey: University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Yeah I know they're the Fighting Hawks now, but fuck that, they will always be the Fighting Sioux to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I forgot to mention college sports.

Indiana University is a rooting interest across all sports. Like the majority of the fine Hoosier population, Bobby Knight was the coach to us. Complete assbag, but successful. Speaks to your talent when you yourself are an arguable top five coach and your protege is the top coach of all time. IU Football is pretty brutal, but there are few things more exciting than hoping to hit that magical sixth win each year to get to a bowl.

I am also a fan of Texas. Something about that burnt orange. Both football and basketball are in transitional periods right now, but that can be fun to root for. Plus, the most exciting sports moment of my life, happened thanks to UT.

My college basketball exclusive rooting interest is Butler. Smaller Indiana school that constantly puts out a solid team and was one shot off upsetting Duke for the title a few years back. When Stevens left for a rightfully deserved NBA job, they fell off a bit, but have remained one of the most consistent non Power Conference teams.

In college football, I tend to fall for those Cinderella teams, but I don't have like a set 3rd team.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As an aussie I couldnt give a shit about College sports, will watch the big games for the contest but thats about it

Never really been able to get into an NFL team. At one point I liked the chiefs for some reason, then the eagles and then I kinda got around the steelers when Big Ben rocked up on Raw but yeah never really managed to connect with these teams

NBA is Miami, I had NBA street V3 on the original xbox and that was the team I connected with in the career mode

NHL is San Jose. It was the ducks purely for the mighty ducks but they scrapped the mighty ducks part and I didnt like the new look. Got drafted by San Jose in like NHL 12 (maybe I cant recall the exact year) and that was that.

My number one team (in terms of professional sport) is without a doubt Melbourne Victory. I love football (soccer to the common folk) and this is my local team. Manchester United in Europe but I cant be arsed watching it as much anymore because its just at shit times

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow! This is one thread I'm completely out of place. But hey, I like sports!

As an Indian, of course the biggest sports here is Cricket, and I played and watched it for a long time. I've lost interest in the limited over formats (ODI or T20; I'll still catch occasional games though). If it's a test series between one of the top 4, I'll probably watch.

Football (or soccer) is my favorite sport though. In PL, Man City is my favorite team to watch. Admittedly, I started following them when I first played FIFA 06, so it's been like 13 years I've been following PL, plus the obnoxious Man Utd fans of my neighbourhood with there songs of history drove me even further towards the other side of Manchester. Happy to see them doing so well this season and with Guardiola at helm, I can see consistent success.

While ISL has tried to change the face of Football in India, it's still in its infancy and the lack of star power has plagued it since last season. The biggest star playing in the league is Berbatov, I believe, but most games are of poor quality, especially when you watch a superior European product. I really hope at some point my city gets a franchise in so that I can get a team to cheer in the ISL.

Tennis is another sport I sporadically follow, mostly the grandslams.

Never understood American Football or Baseball.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I didn't start paying attention to college sports until after I moved to Oregon so that left me with 2 Pac 12 teams to choose from. Oregon State has been pretty bad since i moved here and Universriy of Oregon hasn't.

They also fight for a Platypus trophy every year which is pretty fun to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberPunk View Post
    What would you like to know?

8. Likes CyberPunk liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberPunk View Post
    Wow! This is one thread I'm completely out of place. But hey, I like sports!

As an Indian, of course the biggest sports here is Cricket, and I played and watched it for a long time. I've lost interest in the limited over formats (ODI or T20; I'll still catch occasional games though). If it's a test series between one of the top 4, I'll probably watch.

Football (or soccer) is my favorite sport though. In PL, Man City is my favorite team to watch. Admittedly, I started following them when I first played FIFA 06, so it's been like 13 years I've been following PL, plus the obnoxious Man Utd fans of my neighbourhood with there songs of history drove me even further towards the other side of Manchester. Happy to see them doing so well this season and with Guardiola at helm, I can see consistent success.

While ISL has tried to change the face of Football in India, it's still in its infancy and the lack of star power has plagued it since last season. The biggest star playing in the league is Berbatov, I believe, but most games are of poor quality, especially when you watch a superior European product. I really hope at some point my city gets a franchise in so that I can get a team to cheer in the ISL.

Tennis is another sport I sporadically follow, mostly the grandslams.

Well I have tried and I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell cricket is, so consider us even.

Just cultural things really. Baseball was the most popular sport here for a long time and has history dating back all the way to the Civil War. Was just our take on rounders, but it was the first sport that was fairly accessible to everyone. Just needed a stick and ball. American Football though is uniquely American in that we know it is incredibly dangerous and is about 98% likely to leave its players with brain issues and shorten their life, but fuck if we can't stop watching. It is far and away the most popular sport here, and it exists almost nowhere else in the world. Canada and Mexico have pretty solid NFL followings, and the Canadian Football League is fairly popular in Canada. 105 countries actually have a national team, but the only ones outside of North America that seem to care about the sport are Japan, Germany, and Sweden. They held the first IFAF World Championship in '99 and have held it every four years since.

In '99 Japan won over Mexico. Finland, Sweden, Australia, and Italy were the others to compete.
    Japan won again in 2003, though it was only a four nation tournament with Mexico, Germany, and France.
    In 2007 the IFAF invited the United States to field a team, and it was about what you expected. They beat South Korea 77-0, Germany 33-7, and Japan 23-20 in double overtime. Unlike FIFA and FIBA rules, the IFAF didn't allow the US team to field professional players. Probably because they didn't want to broadcast a snuff film.
    2011 was much the same. They beat Australia 61-0, Germany 48-7, Mexico 17-7, and Canada 50-7.
    2015, no team scored more than 18 points on the US.

There is hope though, as the IFAF was so tired of America dominating American Football, they kicked them out.

Why the fuck did I just type all that out?

10. Likes CyberPunk liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    nba: I really don't care until the playoffs. The Pistons are/were my favorite, since I was born there.

NFL: Packers or Ravens.

MLB: Brewers or Tigers.

NHL: Red Wings. I have a signed Chris Chelios jersey and i've met plenty of former red wings over the years.

Soccer/Futbol - Liverpool and Real Madrid. Something about them drives me crazy, but i love the passionate fans and the first time I went to England I saw a Liverpool game and the whole game was awesome.

CFB - This is my sanctuary. This is what I wait for every year. CFB is where I mark the F out. I don't have a favorite, I'm just a huge fan of the game.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NFL: New Orleans Saints. Lifelong fan, born just an hour away from the stadium. My dad specifically raised me to be a fan.

NCAA: LSU. In the same city, my mom worked there for almost 40 years, and my entire family bleeds purple and gold.

NBA: I used to love the Sacramento Kings. Chris Webber is my all time favorite player. Since his departure though, my fandom for the sport as a whole has died down. If the Kings become good again with their new core of guys I may start following again.

MLB: Houston Astros. Closest to a local team we have in Louisiana. My uncle is also a massive fan and took me to many Astros games growing up when I would visit my family in Houston.

NHL: Anaheim Ducks. I loved the Mighty Ducks growing up lol.

Thread Information