Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sports Fandom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    College sports: Kentucky Wildcats. Graduated from UK in 2010, live ten minutes away from Rupp Arena, why settle for anything but the best?

MLB: Cleveland Indians. My dad is a die hard baseball fan and had stickers of each team on his tool box. I always liked the Indians logo as a kid and became a fan as a result.

NFL: Dallas Cowboys. The first game I ever remember seeing was Super Bowl XXX between Dallas and Pittsburgh. My dad is a Steelers fan so I picked the other team and they won. I stuck with them.

NHL: Dallas Stars. No idea why and I only know one player on the team. I'm far from what you would call a real fan.

NBA: New Orleans Pelicans. Back when they were the Charlotte Hornets, they had two UK players in their starting lineup. Who else could I like?

Super League (Rugby League in England): Leeds Rhinos. My wife is a huge fan and took me to a few games. It was a lot of fun and Rhinos is a rather cool name for a team.
    Thoughts on your Indians changing their logo?

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Really doesn't bother me. It's the same team and if people are offended by it, change the thing. It's not that big of a deal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NFL - Jacksonville Jaguars. I’ve lived in Jacksonville my whole life and I was 5 during the franchise’s inaugural season, so I don’t really have sports memories from before the team’s existence. Some of my earliest memories are going to Jaguars games and my family had season tickets for nearly every season. This is the one team I am super die-hard passionate about. Duuuval!

NBA - Orlando Magic. They’re the closest regional team and have had a lot of success mixed in with the down years. Following their run to the 2009 NBA Finals was one of my favorite sports years and that team just was special. I truly think they helped revolutionize the NBA into what it is today with their 3-point shooting. I have a hard time watching them these days, and have maybe caught 4-5 games at most this year. Still, growing up watching Penny and Shaq and then T-Mac was pretty awesome.

NHL - Winnipeg Jets. This might seem random but there’s actually logic to it. I got into hockey really hardcore during last year’s playoffs. I instantly became hooked with the Nashville Predators after they swept the Blackhawks and loved the passion surrounding the team. But after they made the Stanley Cup Finals, I felt like I’d be a bandwagon fan if I continued fheering for them. Around the same time, Jacksonville received a minor league affiliate of the Hets. The Jets seemed a lot like the Jaguars: A young team that was on the rise but not quite there yet, so I latched on to them. And so far they’ve had a really fun season. I can’t wait for the playoffs to start.

MLB - Atlanta Braves. I don’t follow baseball much anymore, but growing up I loved the Braves. Why? 1. I’m from the South. 2. They were on TBS every night. 3. Chipper Jones, Gred Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz.

College - North Carolina and Florida. I’m very casual about both teams, and am most passionate about my alma mater’s - the University of North Florida - basketball team. But my dad, brother and sister all went to UNC, so I was raised to hate Duke. Most of my wife’s family went to Florida, and some players I’ve covered as a sports writer play there, so I root for them too. The Gators were also my team growing up, but I fell out of love with them because I felt Irban Meyer was super sleazy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I never understood caring about teams outside of your personal area. I love Detroit teams and MSU, and have a strong hatred for Michigan.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Well I have tried and I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell cricket is, so consider us even.
    So you have the playing field and then in the middle is what is not as the pitch. At each end of the pitch you have a set of wickets (think of this as the strike zone). You have two teams of 11 players (generally teams are made up of a balanced lineup of 5 batsmen, a wicketkeeper, an all-rounder who is skilled in both batting & bowling and 4 bowlers) on top of this you can have substitute fielders who can come on when a team member needs a rest, to use the toilet or is injured.
    There are three forms of cricket, two are limited overs and the other is known as Test cricket. T20 (Twenty Twenty), each team bats for twenty overs (an over is six balls bowled by the bowler) and the team with most runs wins. One Day cricket is similar in nature to Twenty20 cricket but its 50 overs for each team instead. Test cricket is the original form of cricket and as such is the most prestigious. Test cricket is a five day contest, each day consists of 90 overs (captains can be fined for slow over rates by the ICC) and each team bats twice. At the end of the five days if both teams have not been dismissed twice the game will be a draw regardless of how far in front one team is in front of the other. There is no limit on how long an innings can last in test cricket, it is only over when 10 batsmen have gone out or the captain of the batting team declares the innings over believing they have enough runs scored.
    Scoring is rather simple. The batsmen (there are two batsmen at a time) can hit the ball anywhere they please, they must then run to the other end of the pitch and that counts for one run. If the ball makes it to the boundary rope without bouncing (a home run basically) it is worth 6 runs. If it makes it to the boundary it on the bounce it is worth 4. If the bowler bowls an illegal deliveries (a no ball for overstepping the mark, or bowling it wide on the pitch) the batting team will be awarded a run and the bowler will have to bowl the delivery again.
    The bowler aims to dismiss the batter. This can be done multiple ways. He can bowl them out by hitting the wickets (the strike zone), get caught out (like baseball), ran out by the ball being fielded and thrown into the stumps before a batter can complete a run or they can be stumped which is where the batter charges down the pitch to hit the ball, misses it and the wicketkeeper takes the ball and hits it into the stumps before the batter gets back to his mark.

Simple yeah? Cant be anymore complicated than NFL where you guys dont even know what a catch is ffs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For me, it was a combination of my Dad choices in teams, and where I'm from, South Jersey. My favorite teams are the Philadelphia Eagles, the Philadelphia Sixers, the Philadelphia Phillies, and the Philadelphia Flyers.
    I donâ??t know if you know!! I donâ??t know if you care!! I donâ??t care if you know!! I donâ??t care if you care!!

I will tell you something about anything, if not everything!!

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As most people here know, I'm a huge basketball fan. I was raised in KY everyone I knew and their mothers were UK Wildcats fans. So I started watching basketball at a young age and liked it instantly. I started playing basketball in 6th grade and was pretty terrible because I was smaller and honestly afraid of getting hit. So, I was lucky if I played at all when I first started. What turned it around for me was after my 7th grade season ended in Feb. 2001 I was pretty down on myself thinking that I was too small to be good. One day, during P.E. in late May, our teacher had us watch a video. It was of the Sixers/Raptors playoff game where Iverson and Vince Carter both went crazy. That game changed my life. I watched Iverson, the smallest guy on the court go out and out play, out hustle, and out heart everybody and from that day on he's been my basketball hero and I've been an NBA junkie. After that I became a better player because I tried to play like Iverson and I got pretty damn good too.

So I've never really had a team, I've always just had a favorite player who'd I root for. It went from Iverson, to Nash, to now CP3. I root for whichever team they're on because I've never lived in an NBA city. I'd like to one day though.

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Chicago. For the most part.

Bears. Though Iâ??m odd with the NFL. Between family and friends Iâ??ve picked up hopefuls. Pats, Lions and Browns.
    Baseball - Cubs. Never met a White Sox fan. Not sure how they fill their stadium. Hard to not like the Indians. Major League is literally one of my favorite 80â??s movies.
    Hawks - Havenâ??t kept up well enough. Glad theyâ??re doing as well as they have been though. Hockey is stupidly underrated.
    Bulls - Used to love basketball, but the culture has changed so much I have a hard time handling it.

Thread Information