Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports Fandom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sports Fandom

Kinda been mulling this over in my head for a bit, wanted to start a topic on it. How did you come to root for the sports teams you root for?

Sure, the simple and most abundant answer will likely be that people root for their home town/state team. That is certainly the case for me for the Indianapolis Colts and the Indiana Pacers.

Indiana however, doesn't have an NHL or MLB franchise. Not a major league one anyway.

So in the NHL I root for the Colorado Avalanche. When I first started getting into hockey in my early teens, Colorado was good, so they were on TV a fair bit and that made them accessible. They also have some pretty cool jerseys. How can you not root for a team with a yeti print on their shoulder?

In baseball, I root for the Atlanta Braves. Growing up we had two stations that showed baseball games on the reg. WGN and TBS. WGN was based out of Chicago, so they showed a lot of Cubs games and the occasional White Sox game. Ron Santon was the biggest homer announcer of that time and it turned me off to the Cubs (Plus Harry Caray is overrated, fite me). The Braves were also a better team in the mid 90s, so it felt good rooting for a winner a kid.

I'm most interested to hear those who don't live in an area with any pro teams, like Ty, as I know he roots for Minnesota in the NFL and Golden State in the NBA. Also those who have a rooting interest in a team in another country, like American fans of European soccer or UK fans of American spots. I know certain guys, like Lee, root for the Toronto Bluejays because he saw a game in Toronto. Simple enough.

Me, I root for Everton in the EPL because when I was getting into soccer they had a prime Tim Howard and it was easy for me to root for them because one of their best players was American.
    (I wish he would have played for a better team.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Would MMA warrant its own thread or should I keep it in here?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Alabama - One time I bought a shirt from a flea market in Alabama, and well... who am I kidding. I'm a proud member of the Nick Saban bandwagon! Roll Tide! But I'm here for life, even after we eventually start to suck.

Green Bay Packers - Who doesn't love watching HOF QBs execute go-ahead drives in the 4th quarter, only to see the defense fall apart in the closing minutes.

New Orleans Pelicans - I'm just a huge Anthony Davis fan and think he's the second best player in the league.

4. Likes King Patrick Star liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Alabama - One time I bought a shirt from a flea market in Alabama, and well... who am I kidding. I'm a proud member of the Nick Saban bandwagon! Roll Tide! But I'm here for life, even after we eventually start to suck.

Green Bay Packers - Who doesn't love watching HOF QBs execute go-ahead drives in the 4th quarter, only to see the defense fall apart in the closing minutes.

New Orleans Pelicans - I'm just a huge Anthony Davis fan and think he's the second best player in the league.
    I am neither shocked or mad you are a Bama fan you little fuck.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Baseball and Basketball are all location for me. Phillies and Sixers. That one is pretty logical. Football however, the Eagles were never my thing. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a Vikings fan. In fact I've had people just assume that I love all Minnesota teams because I openly support the Vikings. It comes as a shock to some that I'm a Phillies and Sixers fan.

Anywho, there's no crazy story on how I became a Vikings fan. As a kid I loved Barney (the dinosaur). I was three or four or so and because I loved Barney, purple was my favorite color and at that time the Vikings were the only team that wore people and it stuck. During that same phase I also was rooting for the Jazz and the Rockies (they were new at the time, so it worked). However those teams never stuck like the Vikings.

I don't care for hockey. I don't follow it. All my friends are Flyers fans, so I just tell people I love the Penguins (more so Sidney Crosby) to piss them off. It brings some joy to my dark soul.
    Theo was here

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyCompton View Post
    Would MMA warrant its own thread or should I keep it in here?
    If you want to talk about why certain fighters are your favorite, I think that would add to the thread for sure. If you wan't to start up the old WZ MMA threads again just for general discussion, I'd also support that.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oregon doesn't have any pro teams except the Portland Timberscand I'm not a huge soccer fan. Luckily i grew up in New York so my favorite Football is the Giants.

Other than that i don't really have a favorite

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Everton as itâ??s te team my family have always supported.

Re Tim Howard, he did play for
    Manchester Utd first in England but wasnâ??t quite good enough for them. Everton were more his level for a time, and I feel we kept hold of him too long in the end. Landon Donovan was the best American I saw for us. Brian McBride was good too. Joe Max Moore barely played in a poor side

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    Oregon doesn't have any pro teams except the Portland Timberscand I'm not a huge soccer fan. Luckily i grew up in New York so my favorite Football is the Giants.

Other than that i don't really have a favorite

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the Pittsburgh Pirates after growing up in Jersey a Yankee fan. There was something lovable about the losers in Pittsburgh in the early 00s. At first it was mostly the incredible new ballpark that took my breath away, but then it took on a new level just watching certain guys give it their all , like Jack Wilson or Brian Giles, despite being stuck on a horrifically bad team with a horrifically bad culture. I somehow managed to be optimistic through all of that suck. In 2013, that culture changed and the rush that ensued is really hard to describe. Yes, I know, a return to the doldrums is likely to happen the next couple years, but I still have optimism, because crying about it certainly isn’t going to help a return to winning baseball.

In football, I’m a Bears fan. They won the super bowl in 85, and 8 year old me jumped on the bandwagon. I never jumped off,.

In NBA action, I dig the 76ers. Just always have.

NHL, I’m a Devils fan.

13. Likes Sully, Fire Marshall Bill liked this post

Thread Information