Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samoa Joe released

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    I don't see the problem with trimming the fat........
    After reading that, I presumed this was going to be a post about Samoa Joe.

Seriously, though, a recent column said that Joe's weight was always a negative factor in his continued employment although that must have been apparent when he was first hired, right? Still, I doubt he's been losing poundage since sitting behind the announcer's table and he probably would look even more unsightly in the ring at this point. No, every wrestler doesn't have to look like a chiseled statue to work for WWE, but, c'mon now.

Still, I wonder what Tyson Kidd thinks about Joe's release.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt the XVII View Post
    After reading that, I presumed this was going to be a post about Samoa Joe.

Seriously, though, a recent column said that Joe's weight was always a negative factor in his continued employment although that must have been apparent when he was first hired, right? Still, I doubt he's been losing poundage since sitting behind the announcer's table and he probably would look even more unsightly in the ring at this point. No, every wrestler doesn't have to look like a chiseled statue to work for WWE, but, c'mon now.

Still, I wonder what Tyson Kidd thinks about Joe's release.
    I agree image matters but I don't think every stat has to look like a chiseled god. Part of Joe's allure was that he came across as a legit intense badass. Add that to his athletic ability considering his size and you have someone who's quite a rarity in WWE. I feel if Joe lost the weight he would have lost some appeal.

It's a shame he never got a 'Mania match.

Welcome to the site by the way.

There are any number of stories and theories about this. Some suggest that this has a lot to do with Nick Khan, WWE's Chief Revenue Officer, having some sort of "vision" for where he wants to take WWE as he's allegedly gotten a LOT of power and support from Vince.

Another thing I've read about, and thought that might be possible myself when I first heard about this, is that maybe Joe wanted to return to in-ring action, WWE wouldn't clear him and they decided to mutually part ways. I could see this as a legit possibility as we know how much of a struggle it was for Daniel Bryan to get cleared; it was the looming threat that he might head somewhere like New Japan, which looked poised to start a serious expansion into the US at the time and Bryan being part of that was something they didn't want to happen. In Joe's case, Joe's no Daniel Bryan when it comes to popularity and level of star power. To be fair, however, Joe has gotten injured fairly frequently in WWE; it seems like something would happen to put him on the shelf right when he was in the initial stages of getting pushed or was in the middle of a significant push. As a result, his reliability was questionable at best. I thought he was doing a really good job on commentary but if he wasn't happy and wanted to wrestle, but couldn't get cleared, then going elsewhere is the best decision I think.

As for the rest of those released, while I never like to hear about anyone losing his or her job, especially during a time like this, I can also see why it happened. Aside from Joe, none of these wrestlers have been any sort of significant deal for a long time; some were probably let go as they weren't worth keeping around in the eyes of management, some may have shot their mouths off at the wrong time or too the wrong person, etc.. Of those released, Chelsea Green was the least surprising as she just simply did not make a good first impression on the "main roster" considering she broke her wrist on her first night. Too bad because, if nothing else, she was sweet to look at.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes Rembrandt the XVII liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    To be fair, however, Joe has gotten injured fairly frequently in WWE; it seems like something would happen to put him on the shelf right when he was in the initial stages of getting pushed or was in the middle of a significant push. As a result, his reliability was questionable at best.
    It seemed that Christian also had this problem. He would get injured, work hard at rehab, get cleared to return......and then almost immediately get injured again.

Some would argue that it's "not his fault" that he was hurt, and this is true, but they're not seeing the company's point of view on this; that a wrestler forced out of action is a drain on WWE's resources, both financially and from the manpower/creative standing.

Samoa Joe might very well fall in this category. Paying him to not wrestle doesn't serve the company well.

6. Likes mrluck_07, Storm Trooper liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Overall Samoa Joe had one of the better careers of recent WWE signings. Had world title feuds with Lesnar, Kofi, and Styles. Beat Rollins, Reigns, Wyatt, and Balor at Extreme Rules. Squashed Mysterio at Mania. He's high on my list of guys should've been world champion (at least over Jinder, whose title reign tanked Smackdown).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fine by me. He is a great talent being wasted by a company that had no use for him. This opens up the door for him to go back to impact and join AEW and he used properly. This will work out very well for him.

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    More releases today!

Tony Nese, Daivari, Ever-Rise, Tyler Breeze, Fandango and August Grey.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bollywood Boys now too.

205 live roster is stacked y'all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Heard Nick Khan said he'd take the heat from the releases today. (This part is true.)

That's taking more responsibility than his brother, Tony. (This is my attempt to be somewhat humorous.)
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wish they'd have released Fandango before his annoying appearance presenting Top 50 Tag Teams on the Network

Thread Information