Thread: WrestleMania: SmackDown Women's Championship - Charlotte (c) vs. Asuka

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WrestleMania: SmackDown Women's Championship - Charlotte (c) vs. Asuka

This is the money match for the Women's division across RAW, SmackDown or NXT. These are the two most dominant, decorated and celebrated women since the whole 'Women's Revolution/Evolution' movement/PR campaign began and finally they're going to collide at WrestleMania. They've never met before and as such the hype for this one is just that much bigger: Charlotte, the second generation, multiple time women's champion across all three brands, unquestionably the face of WWE's female roster. Asuka, undefeated since debuting in the Autumn of 2015 (bloody heel!), the longest reigning NXT Women's Champion in history, and the winner of the first ever Women's Royal Rumble match.

Without hyperbole this could main event: people want to see these two collide, Asuka won the Rumble, and that main event spot would go a long way in not only legitimising that achievement, but the notion that men and women in WWE are now equal. It's a 'hot take', I'm sure, but of all the matches touted for this event, this is the one I'm a) looking forward to most and b) think deserves that main event spot...so it'll probably be shoehorned into a middling position on 32 match, 10 hour card.

Asuka winning is the way to go it seems with the undefeated streak continuing until she gets to that money match with Rousey next year. Charlotte has been atop the ladder for a good while now, and she's not getting knocked off that pedestal for a good while yet, but she doesn't need the title to continue in that position.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It is the money match, which makes it strange that they're going for it so soon. I get it, they actually see more value in Bliss and Nia than they do Asuka. But that match is now the same as an Ember Moon match, two people who couldn't beat Asuka fighting over a belt she doesn't want.

I guess if Asuka is on Smackdown they can keep that streak going out of prying eyes. When she's ran through the that division and they want the Rousey match she should be on about a thousand days undefeated.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm so glad Asuka's jumping to the blue brand. She's done everything that she can on Raw, including defeating Alexa Bliss. But even without that little logistic, I'm so down for Charlotte vs Asuka. The more I think about it, I agree with OP. This could absolutely Main Event.

Asuka takes this, but it's going to be a hell of a fight.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maybe the 3 top matches that close Wrestlemania should be Asuka vs Charlotte, Styles vs Nakamura and Cena vs Undertaker, with Lesnar and HHH taking a back seat. Lol, obviously they won't do that, but they should.

Charlotte/Asuka could literally steal the show from Nak/AJ. All they need are solid 15-20 minutes. Will they give it to them? They should. In fact, they should minimize the time that Lesnar vs Reigns and HHH/Steph vs Angle/Ronda gets, so that the IC triple threat, this match and AJ/Nak can get more time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's just a shame this is happening when they're both faces, that detracts from it considerably for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Something tells me that this won't go the way people think it will go. Right now we have Carmella, who holds the MITB briefcase and has the chance to cash-in for the SD Women's Championship. We also have Asuka, who can't and shouldn't have her streak broken by any means right now. It has to end at a big match down the line, after her streak has also become a much bigger deal. I think it's too early to end Asuka's streak. So, how do you keep Asuka's streak going and also have Carmella cash in without her being the one to end Asuka's streak?

IMO, Charlotte will turn heel during the match, which will lead to Asuka winning via DQ after a very good match that will leave the fans wanting to see more of them. After Asuka's victory via DQ, Carmella will either cash-in at Wrestlemania or someplace else at Charlotte. Then Asuka will get the title from Carmella and the big Asuka vs Charlotte rematch from Wrestlemania will either happen at MITB or Summerslam...

There are many scenarios this whole deal with Asuka/Charlotte/Carmella can play out. They could also have Charlotte break Asuka's streak, which I find stupid. They could have Carmella end Asuka's streak with a cash-in, which I also find it to be underwhelming. They could go full-on sports-entertainment and have Carmella cash in one week before Wrestlemania. At Wrestlemania, Asuka first squashes Carmella and wins the title, then Charlotte challenges her at the same time and Asuka beats her as well.
    Last edited by DNA 2.0; 03-22-2018 at 08:18 AM.

I agree with Jake in that the fact both of them are faces does take away from this program a bit.

In my eyes, Charlotte is far better as a heel, just like her old man, and they need to do something in the next few weeks to add some heat to her match with Asuka. As of right now, they're portraying Charlotte as a somewhat vulnerable heel champion that's visibly nervous about going up against the undefeated Asuka and they seem to be going more for the "mutual respect" deal that's often the case with two babyfaces.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The likely outcome is going to be Asuka retaining and kicking Carmella's head off afterward in a failed cash in attempt.

Or they go with the more interesting option of either Asuka tapping to Charlotte or losing her streak off of a cash in by Carmella. Interesting as in I would have some good reading material for the next few weeks on here and other places.

Thread Information