Thread: Brock Lesnar is apparently breaking CM Punk's title reign

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brock Lesnar is apparently breaking CM Punk's title reign

Another Punk accolade to push under the carpet right? Lesnar is already at 392 days and counting. There will be no title defense at Backlash and the next one is Money In The Bank in mid-June. Lesnar will be pushing 440 days by then.

I don't know how I feel about this. Could it be Rollins to beat Lesnar now that Roman has lost 2 times in a row? (Alright, couldn't get the job done, not lost actually)

However it's notable to ask: is there anything Brock Lesnar hasn't done? Right now he is head and shoulders above the entire roster. The only thing Lesnar hasn't done in his career is win the Money In The Bank, but who really cares. By the time he retires he will have under his belt:
    King of the Ring 2002
    Royal Rumble 2003
    3 Wrestlemania main events
    Streak Breaker
    First man to squash Cena
    Beat Undertaker at HIAC twice
    Longest world title reign of the modern era
    Probably the most paid wrestler ever, too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know I'm somewhat in the minority on this, but I like having a main-event WWE champion who doesn't show up every week. I like that Brock Lesnar matches are made to be a huge deal. I have absolutely no problem with Lesnar breaking Punk's streak (if it were to happen), because Punk's streak really was only significant because of its length, not because of his reign itself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I know I'm somewhat in the minority on this, but I like having a main-event WWE champion who doesn't show up every week. I like that Brock Lesnar matches are made to be a huge deal. I have absolutely no problem with Lesnar breaking Punk's streak (if it were to happen), because Punk's streak really was only significant because of its length, not because of his reign itself.
    I'm of two minds of this. I agree a champion who doesn't show up all the time has more mystique. On the other hand giving all these accolades to Lesnar is essentially doing the same thing again. If Lesnar leaves with bad blood between them they'll have to start from scratch again trying to make a new record. It's also more impressive for Lesnar to have a better set of matches during his reign when he only turns up occasionally and WWE are actually behind him.

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

4. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've thought this for a while. I agree with Slyfox, I like that Lesnar appears occasionally and is a big deal. However, if this is the plan, I find it strange he's defeated Reigns so soon and I'm not sure who else he can run through.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    is there anything Brock Lesnar hasn't done?
    Win the:

U.S., Intercontinental, any version of the tag-team championships. Yes, I know those championships are much below a guy like Lesnar. I apologize for nit picking this, but I couldn't resist.

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    I doubt WWE has given breaking CM Punk's reign a 2nd thought and has little or nothing to do with Lesnar's long run with the Universal Championship.

This may come off as nitpicky, but Punk's long title run has already been broken by other champions with other titles. At 434 days, Punk's run as WWE Champion was the longest run of any title recognized by the company since the 478 day tag title run of Demolition began if March of 1988. As we all know, New Day broke that record and Asuka was NXT Women's Champion for more than 500 days.

I know there's the whole argument about those titles not being on the same level as a main event title, which does have some weight to it. I also get the complaints about Brock Lesnar and agree with some of them. I've complained about Lesnar only wrestling on occasion and the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much the light schedule that irks me as it is the lack of great 1 on 1 matches as champion. As Universal Champion, Lesnar had a good match with Samoa Joe that, while on the short side, worked because the match was physical and it was the first time we'd seen Lesnar look vulnerable against a wrestler who wasn't from the Attitude Era. I don't think many of us expected him to lose but it was nice to see Lesnar in a singles match where he didn't just flat out run over the guy. The other strong singles match he's had as Universal Champion was against AJ Styles at Survivor Series; again, nobody really expected Lesnar to lose but it was a great match where, again, Lesnar didn't just run over his opponent. If Lesnar had a stronger history of 1 on 1 matches as champion, then him having the longest World Championship run in WWE in more than a generation would be a lot easier to take.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

9. Likes DNA 2.0 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    I doubt WWE has given breaking CM Punk's reign a 2nd thought and has little or nothing to do with Lesnar's long run with the Universal Championship.

This may come off as nitpicky, but Punk's long title run has already been broken by other champions with other titles. At 434 days, Punk's run as WWE Champion was the longest run of any title recognized by the company since the 478 day tag title run of Demolition began if March of 1988. As we all know, New Day broke that record and Asuka was NXT Women's Champion for more than 500 days.

I know there's the whole argument about those titles not being on the same level as a main event title, which does have some weight to it. I also get the complaints about Brock Lesnar and agree with some of them. I've complained about Lesnar only wrestling on occasion and the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much the light schedule that irks me as it is the lack of great 1 on 1 matches as champion. As Universal Champion, Lesnar had a good match with Samoa Joe that, while on the short side, worked because the match was physical and it was the first time we'd seen Lesnar look vulnerable against a wrestler who wasn't from the Attitude Era. I don't think many of us expected him to lose but it was nice to see Lesnar in a singles match where he didn't just flat out run over the guy. The other strong singles match he's had as Universal Champion was against AJ Styles at Survivor Series; again, nobody really expected Lesnar to lose but it was a great match where, again, Lesnar didn't just run over his opponent. If Lesnar had a stronger history of 1 on 1 matches as champion, then him having the longest World Championship run in WWE in more than a generation would be a lot easier to take.
    Watching Brock Lesnar climb that cage like King Kong and him being frozen on top of the ropes was way too damn funny. You are correct. Lesnar just can't give a good match. He's a spectacle but he's a boring spectacle. People only tune in to see if he's going to lose and when he does lose, there will be nothing of importance left of him. Maybe people will tune in to see him getting a redemption angle, but Lesnar will have to lose again and after two straights loses his aura will be gone. He's no John Cena or AJ Styles, guys that can lose a million times and people will tune back in to see them WRESTLE. Nobody tunes in to see Brock wrestle. They just tune in to see whether or not Lesnar will lose. Just like Undertaker at Wrestlemania, but worse. Cause Taker can wrestle and his career isn't defined by his Streak only. But what else defines Lesnar other than his dominance? Nothing.

Thread Information