Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't mind the PWI awards as they tend to come from a more neutral perspective; and are far less smarky in nature. The WON awards however, are basically a Meltzer dick-slurping contest, coupled with a Japanese victory lap, random MMA awards, and "lol WWE are so behind the times, man."

I don't hate Meltzer, I think he's a very intelligent wrestling mind, but his fanboys are insufferable. As in, so bad they make me not want to watch puro at all, and can be as bad as the worst Rick And Morty fans.

I also don't agree that Raw was the worst TV show, not even remotely close. I agree that it can be inconsistent but it's generally pretty solid most of the time. New Japan on AXS TV isn't remotely a traditional TV show. There are no storylines or angles, it's mostly just them showing the top matches from ppvs and/or tournaments. If I'm not mistaken, they aired the entire G1 Climax tournament last year, long after it happened btw, and given that the show is only an hour each week, that in and of itself provided months worth of content each week. From top to bottom, NXT has been the most consistently good wrestling TV program for several years now, at least in my opinion.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

3. Likes Wildcat66, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA 2.0 View Post
    What did the Young Bucks do that makes them tag team of the year?? And why is Okada "outstanding"? I get him being voted the best, accomplishments and impact wise.. but he's not outstanding. AJ Styles is the one that's outstanding.

In 2017, AJ had an amazing match with Cena to start the year. Then gave Shane an actual wrestling match that was above average. Then won the US title in MSG, then became the first person to win the WWE title outside of the US, plus had three amazing PPV matches on a row: Balor, Lesnar, Mahal.
    The Young Bucks held the ROH tag titles for 8 months of the year and made 10 successful defenses, they won the IWGP junior tag belts for the sixth time and held them simultaneously with the ROH belts, and they also spent the first 3 months of the year as PWG champs before ending a nearly two year reign. Then they threw in a 6-man title reign with Adam Page the night after dropping the regular ROH tag straps. And they did it all while putting up like 20 four star matches and having the best tag match all year against the Hardyz on Mania weekend.

They more than earned the award.

As for Okada, he had the best year by any metric. He held the IWGP title every single day of the year, and it can be realistically argued that he had the best year from a match quality standpoint that anyone has had in the last 30+ years.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkest Timeline View Post
    The Young Bucks held the ROH tag titles for 8 months of the year and made 10 successful defenses, they won the IWGP junior tag belts for the sixth time and held them simultaneously with the ROH belts, and they also spent the first 3 months of the year as PWG champs before ending a nearly two year reign. Then they threw in a 6-man title reign with Adam Page the night after dropping the regular ROH tag straps. And they did it all while putting up like 20 four star matches and having the best tag match all year against the Hardyz on Mania weekend.

They more than earned the award.

As for Okada, he had the best year by any metric. He held the IWGP title every single day of the year, and it can be realistically argued that he had the best year from a match quality standpoint that anyone has had in the last 30+ years.
    Well you SUPERKICK!!!

And did I menSUPERKICK!

FLIP DIVES WITH MELTZER REFERENCES!!!

They have a stupid SUPERKICK gimmick, they're not funny, and they SUPERKICK embrace the idea that flipping makes you talented. The Young SUPERKICK Bucks are everything wrong with indy wrestling and have been for a SUPERKICK long time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not that I like them, but how can they be wrong? Wrestling has no set definition of what makes for good or bad. You can dislike them and find them overrated and gimmicky, I totally agree, but to say they are what is wrong with indy wrestling, when indy wrestling is thriving like it never has before is off base.

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Not that I like them, but how can they be wrong? Wrestling has no set definition of what makes for good or bad. You can dislike them and find them overrated and gimmicky, I totally agree, but to say they are what is wrong with indy wrestling, when indy wrestling is thriving like it never has before is off base.
    As Chief Justice Potter Stewart said on obscenity: I may not know how to define it, but I know it when I see it.

That's the case with bad wrestling.

Thread Information