Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WrestleMania XXXV Location

WrestleMania XXXV Location

It was announced yesterday that next year's WrestleMania will be returning to the New York/New Jersey area and the MetLife Stadium. The same venue hosted WrestleMania back in 2013 which saw the rematch of John Cena vs. The Rock with the WWE Championship on the line, Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker vs. CM Punk.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What is up with just going in and exploiting the same markets over and over? Is that not massive over-saturation? I mean this year we're back at the Superdome for the second time in less than five years. Texas and Flordia have had between them five Mania's in the last ten years, and this is the second time in six years for a Mania in the New York/New Jersey area which also hosts SummerSlam in 2018, as it has done for the past three years.

I get this is a big money spinner (Mania 29 was the most profitable Mania ever when it hit) and New York's a major tourist destination to lure people in with the travel packages etc... but good grief, how about sharing this thing around a little more? Surely Massachusetts or Illinois or Toronto are due one of these any year now? I mean, I'm all but expecting them to announce 36 will be California again based on the recent track record.

I mean obviously that's a bit odd coming from someone who'll likely have to travel thousands of miles to see a WrestleMania at some point regardless, but seriously, I enjoy the idea that it's supposed to be 'a global phenomenon' so how about moving around your home country/continent at least?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FunKay View Post
    What is up with just going in and exploiting the same markets over and over? Is that not massive over-saturation? I mean this year we're back at the Superdome for the second time in less than five years. Texas and Flordia have had between them five Mania's in the last ten years, and this is the second time in six years for a Mania in the New York/New Jersey area which also hosts SummerSlam in 2018, as it has done for the past three years.

I get this is a big money spinner (Mania 29 was the most profitable Mania ever when it hit) and New York's a major tourist destination to lure people in with the travel packages etc... but good grief, how about sharing this thing around a little more? Surely Massachusetts or Illinois or Toronto are due one of these any year now? I mean, I'm all but expecting them to announce 36 will be California again based on the recent track record.

I mean obviously that's a bit odd coming from someone who'll likely have to travel thousands of miles to see a WrestleMania at some point regardless, but seriously, I enjoy the idea that it's supposed to be 'a global phenomenon' so how about moving around your home country/continent at least?
    The problem is there are only so many places that can host a Wrestlemania. Not only from a financial incentive perspective, but also in terms of infrastructure, lodgings, stadium, etc. Wrestlemania is massive so I'm sure they go to the same places for the same reason the NCAA Tournament goes to the same places.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    The problem is there are only so many places that can host a Wrestlemania. Not only from a financial incentive perspective, but also in terms of infrastructure, lodgings, stadium, etc. Wrestlemania is massive so I'm sure they go to the same places for the same reason the NCAA Tournament goes to the same places.
    I feel like pretty much any city with an NFL or MLB team could potentially host one. There are a few big cities that have the stadium size that haven't hosted a WrestleMania, or haven't had one in a long time. Tampa, Charlotte, Nashville, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Minneapolis could all be first-time hosts, and then add Los Angeles and Las Vegas both getting new stadiums in the next few years. There's also places like Seattle and Indianapolis that have hosted them in the past but haven't had one in a while.

I know there's more to it than just picking a stadium and setting up a ring, but there are plenty of options to move the event around the country. And with it being on the WWE Network, I don't see any reason why it can't go overseas as well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can't complain. It will be the 35th event of the show of shows. And not the 35th anniversary.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Am I wrong in saying that it's a bidding process for Mania these days? Kinda like the Super Bowl is done.

If it is, you can't blame the WWE for taking the highest offer, or the offer that will reward them with the highest pay day. They are a business at the end of the day. Plus, it actually doesn't make a difference to me when I'm watching it from home.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It does kind of upset me that Indianapolis has this nice and relatively new NFL stadium that is constantly voted among the best stadiums in the US and nothing there.

I get some of the thinking. With the size and scope of Wrestlemania these days, you would need an NFL or large college football stadium to host it. The largest baseball stadium, Dodger Stadium, hold 56k. Ever since Wrestlemania 23, when they started to use actual stadiums as opposed to arenas, the attendance has always been about 70k or higher. Not even the Pope drew those numbers when he was in Dodger Stadium, so there are limited options.

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is a literal shithole. The sewage systems frequently drain onto the field so you can rule that out. The new Raiders stadium opening in 2020 in Vegas would be a good shout though. Other than there, and StubHub Center, which is actually just a soccer stadium being rented out to the Chargers, all NFL stadiums hold at least 61k people, with Soldier Field in Chicago being the smallest. There are also numerous college stadiums that hold 60k plus, with a handful even holding 100k plus. So again, there are options. Don't just rotate around the same few areas.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    It does kind of upset me that Indianapolis has this nice and relatively new NFL stadium that is constantly voted among the best stadiums in the US and nothing there.

I get some of the thinking. With the size and scope of Wrestlemania these days, you would need an NFL or large college football stadium to host it. The largest baseball stadium, Dodger Stadium, hold 56k. Ever since Wrestlemania 23, when they started to use actual stadiums as opposed to arenas, the attendance has always been about 70k or higher. Not even the Pope drew those numbers when he was in Dodger Stadium, so there are limited options.

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum is a literal shithole. The sewage systems frequently drain onto the field so you can rule that out. The new Raiders stadium opening in 2020 in Vegas would be a good shout though. Other than there, and StubHub Center, which is actually just a soccer stadium being rented out to the Chargers, all NFL stadiums hold at least 61k people, with Soldier Field in Chicago being the smallest. There are also numerous college stadiums that hold 60k plus, with a handful even holding 100k plus. So again, there are options. Don't just rotate around the same few areas.
    I know it's 26 years ago, but go back and watch Wrestlemania VIII and look at the upper deck. It looks like the crowd for a high school football game in big sections which are very visible on camera. Vince holding a grudge over that wouldn't shock me whatsoever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Am I wrong in saying that it's a bidding process for Mania these days? Kinda like the Super Bowl is done.

If it is, you can't blame the WWE for taking the highest offer, or the offer that will reward them with the highest pay day. They are a business at the end of the day. Plus, it actually doesn't make a difference to me when I'm watching it from home.
    Exactly. If New Jersey is paying more, why not go there? Itâ??s that simple.

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FunKay View Post

Go ahead and add Las Vegas to that group in 2019, as they will have the Raiders new stadium within eyesight of the strip built. I imagine WM will be there every 5 years or so after that.

Booking destination and infastructure cities is pretty much the way of things for them going forward I think, since WM and everything that surrounds it is so huge now. It is what it is.

LA will also have the Rams / Chargers stadium done and ready to rock in 2020, so you can bet your ass that gets added to the market rotation as well.

Thread Information