Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular/Controversial Opinions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wholeheartedly believe life begins at conception. I'm still pro-choice.

The Divine Comedy was horrible.

I hate reading. If I'm going to sit and read through an entire book, I usually need a prior interest in its content and the first few pages have to interest me greatly. I've read plenty of great literature, and I've read some garbage.

Friends and family of mine would tell me that I have to read The Divine Comedy, specifically the Inferno portion, as though it was written just for me. I was told that they knew without a shadow of a doubt that I would love it and want to read it again.

The Divine Comedy is a story written by Italian poet Dante Alighieri in the 1300s, and Dante himself is the main character (not really though, I'll explain).

Dante is a whimpering little moron who wanders around outside hoping that he'll just run into salvation. Now, I get that this story is heavy in symbolism, but the allegory of "the true path to enlightment comes with great hardships" didn't come through as strongly as "Dante is a pussy, so God did everything".

Dante runs into three beasts, each one representing a part of his psyche that kept him from recognizing God's salvation. Dante didn't conquer these beasts, he instead decided to go into a cave so he could feel safe from them. You don't hear about these beasts for the rest of the story, so I guess hiding from your negative compulsions was the message.

Dante meets Virgil, and a bromance like no other ensues. Virgil is all "come this way", and Dante is all "Oh, I'm coming".

Dante leads us through the 10 layers of Hell, and Virgil explains what's happening in each layer. Now, one argument I make, in regard to popular opinion stating that Dante is the main character, is that Hell itself is the main character. Hell is the only part of the story with any depth, or tangible character. Dante is a pathetic flake, Virgil is a mindless drone, Satan can't do anything, and God is only referenced. Hell on the other hand is constantly being regarded in interesting ways.

One thing that really pisses me off about this story is that Dante doesn't do ANYTHING except walk in a straight line and whine. He comes upon a gate (can't remember to which circle of Hell it led to), and it's locked. Demons are on the gate heckling Dante, so Dante just sits and spins. An Angel comes down from Heaven and opens the gate. A fucking Angel solves that dilemma for basically no reason.

Satan (literally) is the final layer of Hell, and he can't do anything. He's trapped in ice, which is a fun idea for a painting or something like that. For a story where the build to meeting Satan was the main reason I kept reading, that's bullshit. Dante and Virgil recognize that in Hell down is up, so they climb into the ice that holds Satan and after descending past his feet they escaped Hell. So...... umm, the fun little idea of down being up was how a sniveling little shit like Dante conquered eternal damnation.
    Last edited by EnviousDominous; 05-09-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Actual news has been replaced with poorly written hyperbole, and it’s been that way for a good twenty or so years.

4. Likes Fallout, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBits View Post
    Actual news has been replaced with poorly written hyperbole, and it’s been that way for a good twenty or so years.
    The press has thought of themselves as untouchable since Watergate I feel.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    The press has thought of themselves as untouchable since Watergate I feel.
    I can agree with that. It’s just in the last 20 years or so it’s really gone off the rails. Even when good stuff happens all they want to talk about is how terrible it is. And I’m not singling out any agenda or anything, they all do it, from every angle.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBits View Post
    I can agree with that. It’s just in the last 20 years or so it’s really gone off the rails. Even when good stuff happens all they want to talk about is how terrible it is. And I’m not singling out any agenda or anything, they all do it, from every angle.
    Misery sells. It's probably why the internet is so popular nowadays, people can find out about stuff even quicker if they're on social media, or browsing forums, and nobody cares enough to report on good stuff. It seems society is trapped in this rut that they need to continue hearing negativity in order to make themselves feel less negative. Sometimes, it can be vicarious ("Imagine if I was on that plane that crashed."), or it can be a hitpiece attacking someone they don't like, or even a celebrity dying. Society is predicated on negativity, especially nowadays, and I think it correlates with the absolute explosion in depression and other developed mental conditions, it's almost like a drug.

I just try and make sure I keep myself and the people close to me happy. I'd like to help everyone, but some people don't want to be helped, and that's not my responsibility really.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Robert Rodriguez is a better and more varied director than Quentin Tarantino

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I didnt like spider man homecoming at all. I felt it went completely against everything about the character. Everything special about him was given to him by Stark. Tom Holland has the Parker/Spiderman hybrid down, but Spidey is his own entity. Made his own suit without any of that high tech bullshit. Only thing that was good was Michael Keaton as Vulture.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Undying View Post
    I didnt like spider man homecoming at all. I felt it went completely against everything about the character. Everything special about him was given to him by Stark. Tom Holland has the Parker/Spiderman hybrid down, but Spidey is his own entity. Made his own suit without any of that high tech bullshit. Only thing that was good was Michael Keaton as Vulture.
    That really shouldn't ruin the whole movie for you. It was definitely a high quality popcorn flick.

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It showed him making his own webbing and such.

14. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information