Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular/Controversial Opinions

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We have become too attached to hyperbolic language in modern times. Even if I agree with the person making the point, nothing turns me off more than seeing said point presented in a spectacularly bad way. If you believe something sucks, tell us why it sucks. Don't fill a paragraph with coarse idioms and silly nonsensical comparisons. Seems like a frequent occurrence lately, whether from headlines telling me how "Subject X is killing/destroying/etc Subject Y", or even in this thread about The Godfather, it hurts discussion more than it helps.

2. Likes Fallout, BaconBits liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    The Godfather is a coming-of-age story with a strong basis in reality. This is why the movie hits such a chord with so many people.

Major spoiler for those of you who haven't seen the film, so I'm going to keep it in spoiler tags, but this is, in my opinion, the most powerful moment in cinema.

Click for Spoiler:

This works because it's so real. There's no bullshit, it's a real, tragic situation juxtaposed with the innocence of a child thinking he's just playing along with him and a lot of people can relate to playing with their grand-parents when they're younger like this, being chased around in a playful way.

It's not supposed to be a movie like Star Wars with heroes and villains. It's supposed to represent the ugliness of the realities of life. Michael is the focus of the movies, who is coming of age in the first movie, making him fully realise the hardships and evil in the mob world and how he needs to embrace it to succeed.

I don't think you're entering the movie with the right mindset, it's more akin to something like Macbeth in that you're not supposed to really like the characters as much as observe them and the themes around them.
    Yeah, I've heard all that before and I don't buy it. I know it's a coming of age story and all that, I just think it's cowflop. Ultimately what I see about Michael Corleone is someone who gets sucked into the mob life, albeit reluctantly, but he does allow it to happen and finds that he gets off on the power. I get the realities of it, which only reinforces my own opinion that every character in the movie is some sort of scumbag with few redeeming qualities.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pokemon X and Y are better than Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

X and Y certainly aren't perfect. There's not many new Pokemon, and a lot of them have bad designs. The games are also a little too easy, and the experience share (although you can turn it off) just about breaks the games. However I've always enjoyed them and have found the games to have the most replay value. They bring back a lot of my favorite older Pokemon, such as Salamence, Krookodile, and the Kanto starters. The story is great, and Lysandre is one of the best villains in the whole series. There's also basically no level grinding, even with the exp share turned off.

My biggest problem with Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum is that the games are SO slow. Everything feels like it's in slow motion, and it really harms the overall enjoyment. There's still great games, as every game from Gens 1-6 are, but they're probably my least favorite.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Doritos cool ranch > Doritos Nacho Cheese.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    Doritos cool ranch > Doritos Nacho Cheese.
    Spicy Nacho Cheese > Cool Ranch and regular Nacho Cheese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hate it when someone quotes me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    People should never get offended by a joke of any kind. No matter the topic or how offensive or dark it might be

Why? Because it's just a joke. People don't mean any harm by them, and they're just trying to get a few laughs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    I hate it when someone quotes me.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    ^ cool.

Al Michaels > Bob Costas.

11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    hot takes > what the OP asked for

13. Likes A11 liked this post

Thread Information