Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Speech Is Dying In The United Kingdom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat66 View Post
    And I agree! Comedy is subjective and people have the right to tell jokes. But the difference between Charlie Chaplin, Monty Python and Dankula was that Charlie and Monty were making fun of the Nazis. That in itself is perfectly fine with the general public. Dankula did not do that.
    A dog is being trained to raise its paw in a certain way. I'd say that's mocking Nazi's and their overly authoritarian regime and conformity towards it.

If Alex Jones isn't seen as alt-right, then why do many people in the alt-right know and like his work? RationalWiki has also categorized Alex Jones as being a part of the alt-right and he himself has had contact with several alt-right personalities over the years. Tommy Robinson may not be as popular a name, but nationalism is a trait most people in the alt-right tend to have.
    1: RationalWiki is a joke. I've seen less bias on Uncyclopedia and Encyclopedia Dramatica combined, and they're at least self-aware that they're satire.
    2: Many of the actual alt-right (white supremacists who seek an ethnostate) only like Alex Jones ironically because of his stupidity; otherwise, they consider him a shill.
    3: Contact with the alt-right does not an alt-right make.
    4: Being a nationalist /=/ being alt-right.

It's like I said before. People do not take fondly about talking to Hitler in a positive manner because he represents a dark time for Germany and the world in general. He's one of the main reasons World War II got started and it's likely he would've taken over all of Europe had the United States not been invaded by Japan or declared war.
    Let's not tangent too much onto history. Nobody is talking about Hitler in a positive manner here.

And again, I do have some sympathy for him. But since people do not like others talking about one of the most reviled figures in history in a positive manner or even like neo-nazis in generals, Dankula is going to face consequences. It isn't an assault of free speech, it isn't a sign of it dying out either. It's simply a case of someone making a really bad decision in life and now he's going to have to deal with it.
    Are people free to tell him that his joke is not funny, and for them to think he's potentially a neo-nazi? Sure, that's free speech in of itself. But there's a clear difference between subjective opinion, and being punished by the law of the United Kingdom. This is clearly the latter.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    But there's a clear difference between subjective opinion, and being punished by the law of the United Kingdom.
    Did he break the law?

3. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    Did he break the law?
    Is the law nebulous in its definition to begin with? (hint: yes)

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Is the law nebulous in its definition to begin with? (hint: yes)
    So you're not going to answer my question?

6. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As an outsider looking in, I find this part hilarious and part sad. The context of the joke was the guy wanted to make his girlfriend's pug "the least cute thing" because his girlfriend always raved about the dog's cuteness.

Is the joke unfunny? Could be. Humor is subjective. The more important thing to find here is, was it really hate speech? I saw the original video and I didn't find any evidence of hate speech. At most, it was a poor attempt at humor that could've offended some people. But I find it really ironic that making Hitler look foolish is a punishable crime. If there was ever a time to quote 1984...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The guy who made the video, Markus Meechan (AKA Count Dankula) is one of my best friends. Proof of which I can prove if need be. Regardless of that, I want to clear a couple of things up. First of all, what he did was stupid. He apologised for it, so that shows some sort of remorse. Second, Markus is actually communist. He has never been a Nazi and never will be. He was once presented with free shares from our work, worth hundreds of pounds, and rejected them. What he says was his reason for making the video was 100% the reason. Third, if this video hadn't had made the front page of Reddit, no one would have batted an eyelid. He's a victim of his own success to many degrees. Fourth, as I pointed out, he knows it was stupid and potentially offensive. But to he sent to jail for this is ridiculous. We've all did worse and said worse at some point, it's ludicrous.

9. Likes Fallout, Wildcat66, jmt225, CyberPunk liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know he's one of your best mates, but what he did was idiotic. I may have done stupid things here and there but I'm not getting $900 a month off Patreon or have 60K followers on twitter or god knows how many youtube subscribers. Oh and I've never thought "I wonder if I can make the dog seem not cute by getting it to do a Sieg Heil at Hitler videos". Absolute stupidity and not potentially offensive, it is offensive.

Read what the guy from the Jewish council says in this from September. Read the full quotes as to why it is https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...i-dog-11148574

11. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I know he's one of your best mates, but what he did was idiotic. I may have done stupid things here and there but I'm not getting $900 a month off Patreon or have 60K followers on twitter or god knows how many youtube subscribers. Oh and I've never thought "I wonder if I can make the dog seem not cute by getting it to do a Sieg Heil at Hitler videos". Absolute stupidity and not potentially offensive, it is offensive.

Read what the guy from the Jewish council says in this from September. Read the full quotes as to why it is https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...i-dog-11148574
    To be fair, he didn't have any of that before the video.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You are either defending Nazi imagery or attacking Islam, neither is a good look. Given your history of bringing up Islam in the past I'd say you are a thinly veiled Islamophobe.

14. Likes HBK-aholic, Fillet Club liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Incredibly stupid, yes. But does it warrant jail time? Are you saying that offending someone unintentionally warrants jail time? Does context matter?

Thread Information