Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 2018 Fantasy Wrestling Tournament - Introduction and The First Four Revealed!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Nick Dudley View Post
    People seem to ignore how dominant Brock has been, especially during his second run. He can place in anyone's top ten and be secure.
    Dominance (particularly when the number of matches you wrestle a year are in the single-digits) might be more useful in the old format of considering the participants to be in matches together, but in terms of contributions and legacy to the wrestling industry, Brock is much lower on the totem pole.

This is a list I made a while back, so it might be subject to change, of all the people I'd personally rank above Lesnar in terms of overall legacy and impact:

Click for Spoiler:
    1: Hulk Hogan
    2: Lou Thesz
    3: Stone Cold Steve Austin
    4: John Cena
    5: Bruno Sammartino
    6: El Santo
    7: Ric Flair
    8: The Undertaker
    9: Andre The Giant
    10: The Rock
    11: Antonio Inoki
    12: Sting
    13: Shawn Michaels
    14: Randy Savage
    15: Rikidozan
    16: Triple H
    17: Bret Hart
    18: Harley Race
    19: Nick Bockwinkel
    20: Dusty Rhodes
    21: Verne Gagne
    22: Misuharu Misawa
    23: Gene Kiniski
    24: Roman Reigns
    25: Antonino Rocca
    26: AJ Styles
    27: Randy Orton
    28: Chris Jericho
    29: Edge
    30: Kurt Angle
    31: CM Punk
    32: Brock Lesnar

Of course, that's subjective, but other than his MMA career (which is more a testament to his legacy in MMA) and his dominance, why should Lesnar be ranked above Hogan, Thesz, Cena, Sammartino, Santo, Flair, Taker, Andre, Rock, Inoki, Sting and Savage?

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Of course, that's subjective, but other than his MMA career (which is more a testament to his legacy in MMA) and his dominance, why should Lesnar be ranked above Hogan, Thesz, Cena, Sammartino, Santo, Flair, Taker, Andre, Rock, Inoki, Sting and Savage?
    At this point I'd put Lesnar over Sting and Savage, and really Michaels too. Compared to 2014/2015, where the Brock Smash arguments got annoying as hell, I think he's done enough the past 2 years to really solidify himself as the top name of this decade. This current run of his has been great.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    At this point I'd put Lesnar over Sting and Savage, and really Michaels too. Compared to 2014/2015, where the Brock Smash arguments got annoying as hell, I think he's done enough the past 2 years to really solidify himself as the top name of this decade. This current run of his has been great.
    His current run (post WM32 onwards) is definitely better than his 2015 run, but I think that's more because of the brand-split than anything. Orton, AJ and yes, even Mahal to his credit, created a main title scene on Smackdown to fill the void. It was bad, especially with Mahal's time with the belt, sure, but I'd take a bad main title scene than a main title scene that gets very little focus, and even when it did get focus, it was Heyman more so than Brock selling the title picture.

I would put Lesnar above the likes of Goldberg and Ultimate Warrior (37th and 38th respectively on my list if you're interested), because of his cross-over success with MMA, but in terms of wrestling, I can't think of an argument that would put him above Savage, Sting and HBK. When you get to Rikidozan, Triple H, Bret Hart and Harley Race, I could understand some arguments, even if I would rank them higher, but Savage was consistently the #2 guy who was far more iconic in the industry, Sting was the only American wrestler of his era I can think of that was instantly recognisable to a mainstream audience without ever needing WWE (he was a made man by 2014), and HBK might have been a bit overrated for his first run, but his career renaissance pushes him way up the ladder for me, even above Hart, who was arguably more popular in HBK's era.

The guy right behind Lesnar on my list is Batista. Batista has some mainstream popularity outside of wrestling with his movie roles, and even whilst wrestling, Batista was a name a mainstream audience would recognise, as was Brock before he quit for the first time. I'd say Lesnar is probably just under that level of popularity and impact on a mainstream level personally, but I'd say breaking the streak just gives him the edge over Batista, but that's the level I'd probably put Lesnar at.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    First to spill blood.

Come at me, my brothers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The South and West regions are now open for discussion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hmm. I have to think a bit about HBK vs Andre..

Thread Information