Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Discussion

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was going to start a new thread to talk about this season of the NBA, but I figure this one will do nicely.

So the NBA season officially started a couple nights ago. Boston played the Sixers and, I know it's early but I do believe that Boston is easily the best team in the East and beyond that, they're the second best team in the NBA. I legit think that they have a pretty good shot to not only face the Warriors in the Finals but actually but a damn decent challenge and maybe even win. Boston is so deep it's pitiful. Their bench could be a legit starting 5 on a lot of other teams.

Houston got beat by New Orleans last night. I know it's just first game of the season but the Rockets looked horrible. No defense whatsoever. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually excited to see where the Suns go this season. They played the Mavs last night and they looked very very good. Devin Booker mixed with Deandre Ayton is going to be an exciting duo to watch. Atyon might still be very young but he's very talented and Booker has been on the cusp of being an All Star for a little while now. The only reason he hasn't been is because the Suns have sucked so bad.

Do I even need to talk about the Warriors. Barring injury they'll be just fine. Excited to see the Lakers play tonight, but I'll be happy if they just make the playoffs. Toronto looked good last night and Leonard is still probably the best 2 way player in the league. Derozan looked awesome with the Spurs. He's going to fit right in. That's all I've got to say about the NBA so far. This looks like it's shaping up to be an exciting season. Love basketball.

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, I'm most pissed about the Rockets losing me 200 bucks. I thought they were my lock bet and they ended up getting blown out by the damn Pelicans at home. I'm not sure what to think of that... I'm obliged to put it down to "first-game jitters" or not taking the Pelicans as seriously as they should have (though I generally find those to be shitty arguments). Not to mention the Pelicans were shooting at just an insane percentage. I'm sure Houston will bounce back quickly enough. They still won't be anywhere near as good as they were last year though.

Boston looks, obviously, very good. Even with Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving playing dreadfully, they still managed to put the Sixers down with relative ease. I still think Philly was insanely overrated by just about everyone going into the season and won't match what they did last year but, we'll see. My Raps looked a little shaky at times, but I think once Leonard gets rid of the rust they're going to be a very tough team to beat. They're extremely deep and added two very good 2-way players in Leonard and Green which should greatly improve our defense. Offense is not going to be a problem whatsoever. I'm looking forward to the game against the Celtics to see just how close the Raptors are to competing with them.

Interested to watch the Lakers tonight. I think it'll be a close game and I wouldn't be shocked to see them go down to Portland.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
    Boston looks, obviously, very good. Even with Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving playing dreadfully, they still managed to put the Sixers down with relative ease. I still think Philly was insanely overrated by just about everyone going into the season and won't match what they did last year but, we'll see. My Raps looked a little shaky at times, but I think once Leonard gets rid of the rust they're going to be a very tough team to beat. They're extremely deep and added two very good 2-way players in Leonard and Green which should greatly improve our defense. Offense is not going to be a problem whatsoever. I'm looking forward to the game against the Celtics to see just how close the Raptors are to competing with them.
    I didn't think Boston looked that great to be honest, Kyrie and Heyward were especially unimpressive. The Sixers were just even more booty.

I don't think the Sixers are that overrated. Embiid is definitely the most dominant big in the game, and I think he's good for at least 72 games this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes the full 82. Simmons is already a star and will only get better, and Fultz clearly has the skills to be an effective guard, though he still has a long way to go I think. They have a great supporting cast with a mix of younger guys like Saric, Covington, and McConnell and vets like Chandler and Reddick. They're definitely a top 4 team in the East, but I don't think they're unseating the Raptors or Celtics from the top of the table.

I caught a little bit of the Suns/Mavs game on opening night. Both Ayton and Doncic, probably the two most hotly anticipated rookies this season, looked great from what I saw. It's also worth adding that Ariza was an absolute beast, it looks like he took a few sips of whatever James Harden has been drinking. I think the Suns could actually be a lower seed playoff team this year if Ayton plays at a consistently high level and their other pieces contribute. By next season I think they should for sure be playoff locks.

LeBron's Lakers debut was a little anti-climactic with the loss, but he definitely appeared to be committed to leading and playing hard for the team. I only caught the first quarter and some of the 2nd (Bron playing in the West is a double edged sword, we'll see him against the tougher teams but only if you can stay up late enough ), but he looked great. Love him scoring his first 4 points as a Laker on two impressive slams.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    I didn't think Boston looked that great to be honest, Kyrie and Heyward were especially unimpressive. The Sixers were just even more booty.
    That's kind of what I meant. Boston may not have played that well offensively (I did think they were terrific defensively), but the fact that they were able to handle the Sixers with ease despite their struggles makes them look even more impressive. You know Kyrie and Hayward will be much better going forward and Tatum, Brown, and Rozier pretty much picked up right where they left off. When they're firing on all cylinders, they're going to be very tough for any team to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    I don't think the Sixers are that overrated. Embiid is definitely the most dominant big in the game, and I think he's good for at least 72 games this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes the full 82. Simmons is already a star and will only get better, and Fultz clearly has the skills to be an effective guard, though he still has a long way to go I think. They have a great supporting cast with a mix of younger guys like Saric, Covington, and McConnell and vets like Chandler and Reddick. They're definitely a top 4 team in the East, but I don't think they're unseating the Raptors or Celtics from the top of the table.
    Joel Embiid is one of the reasons I think the Sixers are so overrated. The guy is good, but people are acting like he's the next coming of Shaq or something. There's no way he's a better or more dominant big than Anthony Davis or Boogie Cousins, and I would take KAT over Embiid as well. His numbers were decent last year but nothing that we haven't seen from big men before. It helps that he plays in Philly. Chris Bosh was putting up similar numbers when he was on the Raptors and he was barely seen as a top 5 big in the league. If people think Embiid's the star that's going to carry the Sixers to a championship, I think they're going to be disappointed. Philly is still going to be a top 5 seed in the East, but, whereas a lot of people are thinking they'll distinguish themselves as being in the same category as the Raps/Celtics, I'm betting they'll be competing with Indiana and Milwaukee for the the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Unless of course, Ben Simmons manages to break out this year and become one of the top players in the league.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    KAT going to be a little bitch this year if jimmy butler dont get shipped and nobody wants him either so KAT going to be a little bitch

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
    Joel Embiid is one of the reasons I think the Sixers are so overrated. The guy is good, but people are acting like he's the next coming of Shaq or something. There's no way he's a better or more dominant big than Anthony Davis or Boogie Cousins, and I would take KAT over Embiid as well. His numbers were decent last year but nothing that we haven't seen from big men before. It helps that he plays in Philly. Chris Bosh was putting up similar numbers when he was on the Raptors and he was barely seen as a top 5 big in the league. If people think Embiid's the star that's going to carry the Sixers to a championship, I think they're going to be disappointed. Philly is still going to be a top 5 seed in the East, but, whereas a lot of people are thinking they'll distinguish themselves as being in the same category as the Raps/Celtics, I'm betting they'll be competing with Indiana and Milwaukee for the the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Unless of course, Ben Simmons manages to break out this year and become one of the top players in the league.
    He's definitely not better than AD, but I might take him over Cousins or KAT. So far this year (and I know it's early, but still) he's averaging 11 more points a game, and one more rebound and assist. Embiid is also still developing his game, he's only played one full season, and he's playing for a team that's building its identity, and he's going to be a big part of that identity. I don't think he's going to reach Shaq's level, but he's for sure an All-Star, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on some 1st teams All-NBA, I think his upside is just that high.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Golden State is still clearly the best team, no surprise there. Houston will be there, if they limit Carmelo and don't allow him to screw everything up. The Lakers will only get better. Lebron and a ton of young talent is a good combination.

I thought the Celtics would be the clear #1 in the East, but Toronto looks really good. Also really happy with the Pistons. If they can stay healthy and everyone plays up to their potential, no reason they can't finish top 5 in the East.

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Rockets are just straight booty right now. I know that they lost some key defensive players, but that's not the only reason they're losing right now. Hell, I haven't really seen any defense played during these first few games of the season except from teams like Boston, Toronto, Spurs, and such. I hope that Houston can get it together. There's a rumor going around that they're very close to getting Jimmy Butler for Eric Gordon and 4 future first round picks. If they do that that will make them better both offensively and defensively as Butler is one of the better 2 way players in the league. That would give Houston a starting lineup of CP3, Harden, Butler, Tucker, and Capela with Melo being the fire power off of the bench. They might not be so bad if that happens.

Like others, I thought Boston was going to rule the east but I didn't realize how much better Leonard would make Toronto. They're playing extremely well and as of right now, I think they're the best team in the east. I will say, though, that I don't think it's sustainable for them. Boston is still a lot deeper and the only reason that Boston isn't running away with the east right now is because their two best players a struggling right now as both of them are coming off of major injuries. As soon and Irving and Hayward get back in shape and rhythm; I think Boston is going to be hard for anyone to beat. Toronto will be right there though as will the Sixers if they actually start to play to their potential.

I know it's been said before but Golden State is just unfair. Curry scores 51 pts through three quarters and then a week later Thompson scores 52 through 3 quarters on 14-24 from 3. Also, during that scoring binge he held the ball for a total of 96 seconds and only dribbled the ball 9 times. It's safe to say that Curry is the greatest shooter the NBA has ever seen, however, Thompson is the greatest catch and shoot shooter that the NBA has ever seen and they're on the same team. When was the last time where the third best player on a team scored over 50 pts in a game? When was the last time a team had two former MVPs playing together who were both still in their primes? By the way people, Cousins still hasn't played yet, but he's practicing and could be ready by Xmas. As I said, Golden State is unfair. Why don't we just go ahead and give them the trophy and pick a name out of a hat for which one of their starters get's Finals MVP? This is ridiculous.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 76ers have aquired Jimmy Butler for Robert Covington and Saric. IMO, this trade instantly makes them better both offensively and defensively and puts them in contention with Toronto and Boston for the East. Also, don't sleep on Milwaukee. The Greek Freak is balling right now. I don't think it's sustainable for them though.

15. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
    The 76ers have aquired Jimmy Butler for Robert Covington and Saric. IMO, this trade instantly makes them better both offensively and defensively and puts them in contention with Toronto and Boston for the East. Also, don't sleep on Milwaukee. The Greek Freak is balling right now. I don't think it's sustainable for them though.
    Butler is fantastic. If they don't hate his guts, they should be really good.

The Bucks are really good, too. They need another good player, but the Freak may be the second best player in basketball.

17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information