Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 418

Thread: NBA Discussion

  1. #401
    Senior Member SSJPhenom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    306
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    162
    Memphis may buy out Andre Igoudala's contract. If they do, the Lakers have said that they're keeping a roster spot open just in case that happens. If the Lakers get Iggy, they may well be unstoppable.

  2. #402
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    813
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, he just had coaches fired and got eliminated out of the playoffs until he had a team around him that was playoff caliber even after he retired.
    I love the coaches fired argument against Jordan when youíre arguing for Lebron James. Please keep making it.

    And you do realize Jordan was playing against the 80ís Celtics, right? Yeah, never mind. They sucked. Or, heaven forbid, getting seriously injured. I guess James has that on Jordan.

    But, sure, I mean think of all those great years the Cavaliers have had after LeBron leaves, it is JUST like the Bulls in '94 and '95. Right?
    Man, itís almost as if proper coaching can win out if you actually know what youíre doing. Not like youíd appreciate that Maybe Gregg Popovich would.

    How many times must we go through this, Sly?
    Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill; 07-25-2019 at 10:15 PM.

  3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  4. #403
    Administrator Slyfox696's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    621
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Marshall Bill View Post
    I love the coaches fired argument against Jordan when youíre arguing for Lebron James. Please keep making it.
    It's your argument. Your insinuation is that Jordan was successful without pulling strings with the team, no matter who his teammates were. It's a dishonest argument.

    Jordan pulled strings also, so only criticizing James for it is silly. So I will keep making it, so long as you keep trying to undermine James by arguing he did what Jordan did.

    And you do realize Jordan was playing against the 80ís Celtics, right? Yeah, never mind. They sucked. Or, heaven forbid, getting seriously injured. I guess James has that on Jordan.
    And James played against the 00's/10's Spurs and the 10's Warriors.

    What's your point? That they both played against and lost against historically great teams/franchises? Because, yeah, I totally agree. That is exactly my point.

    Also, in '85 Jordan's Bulls lost to the Bucks. In '86 and '87, the Bulls only played the Celtics because they were the #8 seed. In '88, '89 and '90, they lost to the Pistons, not the Celtics. And in '95, they lost to the Magic.

    So...Jordan didn't just play against the Celtics, he lost to the Bucks, the Celtics, the Pistons and the Magic in the playoffs.

    Man, itís almost as if proper coaching can win out if you actually know what youíre doing. Not like youíd appreciate that Maybe Gregg Popovich would.
    Ahh, so what you're saying is that when the teams of LeBron lost to all-time great coaches with below average coaches, it was just because James couldn't win, but when Jordan lost to all-time great coaches with below average coaches it was...completely different somehow?

    How many times must we go through this, Sly?
    As many times as it takes for you to admit you are wrong.


  5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  6. #404
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    813
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It's your argument. Your insinuation is that Jordan was successful without pulling strings with the team, no matter who his teammates were. It's a dishonest argument.

    Jordan pulled strings also, so only criticizing James for it is silly. So I will keep making it, so long as you keep trying to undermine James by arguing he did what Jordan did.
    You’re going to compare the two? James literally comes in and changes the entire team and anyone involved. Coaches and players. He’s already gotten the Lakers coach fired. There’s literally already talk about the current one being filler until James works Kidd into that spot. Just wait.

    The ironic thing is I would give him credit for bringing power back to the players. They practically do what they want now, assuming they’re good enough to leverage it. Just look at AD. But it’s also turned the game into a joke, because there’s rarely competition anymore.

    And James played against the 00's/10's Spurs and the 10's Warriors.

    What's your point? That they both played against and lost against historically great teams/franchises? Because, yeah, I totally agree. That is exactly my point.

    Also, in '85 Jordan's Bulls lost to the Bucks. In '86 and '87, the Bulls only played the Celtics because they were the #8 seed. In '88, '89 and '90, they lost to the Pistons, not the Celtics. And in '95, they lost to the Magic.

    So...Jordan didn't just play against the Celtics, he lost to the Bucks, the Celtics, the Pistons and the Magic in the playoffs.
    Using the Bad Boy Pistons? Really? At one time they had 4 Hall of Famers on their team. The core always had 3. 3, by the way, that didn’t collude to play together. And 95 Jordan had just come back and clearly was not in form. If you want a nice Magic reference, how about James losing to them in the playoffs? I’ll take Shaq and Penny all day against Dwight Howard and no one. The East has been a joke since 09.

    And honestly, do we really not understand players have primes? Did I even bring up James’s early years?

    Ahh, so what you're saying is that when the teams of LeBron lost to all-time great coaches with below average coaches, it was just because James couldn't win, but when Jordan lost to all-time great coaches with below average coaches it was...completely different somehow?

    As many times as it takes for you to admit you are wrong.

    I forgot that the Dallas Mavericks were all timers. Nowitzki and who? Frankly, that should’ve been James’s easiest victory since they’re owned by one of David Stern’s most hated owners. He practically robbed him of a championship once before. That is entirely my opinion of course. But that is the worst championship of all time in my opinion (06 I mean).

  7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  8. #405
    Senior Member SSJPhenom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    306
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    162
    Even I have to admit that there's no good argument to explain LBJ's meltdown in the 2011 Finals against Dallas. I know it was because they hadn't worked out whether he was the guy or whether it was Wade's team, but still, LBJ as a superstar should've said, "Give me the ball and get the hell out of the way"! Since then, however, LBJ has had a record run. 8 consecutive Finals appearances. The most for any non-Celtic. Some of the best numbers and performances in the post season. Averaging a triple double in the Finals. Taking the Warriors to 6 games when his next best player was Dellavedova. 12 consecutive All NBA 1st team selections. He's at least earned a spot in the conversation as greatest ever and by the end of his career I'm confident that he'll be the consensus best ever. Especially if he wins another title or two.

  9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  10. #406
    Administrator Slyfox696's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    621
    Likes (Given)
    52
    Likes (Received)
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Marshall Bill View Post
    You’re going to compare the two?
    Isn't that what the entire discussion is about?
    James literally comes in and changes the entire team and anyone involved.
    A) That's an exaggeration
    B) Yes, he pulls strings to make the team he's on better. Just like Jordan did.

    Coaches and players.
    Doug Collins and Isiah Thomas say hi.

    He’s already gotten the Lakers coach fired.
    A) Luke Walton failed on his own before James got there.
    B) Jordan had Collins fired, James had Blatt fired.

    There’s literally already talk about the current one being filler until James works Kidd into that spot. Just wait.
    So...your argument is James pulls strings and the Lakers fired Walton for LeBron, only to hire a coach LeBron didn't want because LeBron wanted a former NBA head coach?

    I'm not sure you see the inconsistency of that argument.

    The ironic thing is I would give him credit for bringing power back to the players.
    And he does deserve that credit, perhaps more than anyone else.

    They practically do what they want now, assuming they’re good enough to leverage it. Just look at AD. But it’s also turned the game into a joke, because there’s rarely competition anymore.
    That's on the owners to figure out. They are the ones who decided to make the NBA a star driven league and they are the ones who have manipulated the league in such a way that there is no incentive to play for a loser. Also blame the media for their crazed obsession with determining quality of player by number of rings collected, even though that's a TERRIBLE way to judge greatness.

    Using the Bad Boy Pistons? Really? At one time they had 4 Hall of Famers on their team.
    Curry, Thompson, Green and Durant. Parker, Ginobbili, Duncan, Leonard.

    Again, I am not sure you are making the argument you think you are.

    The core always had 3. 3, by the way, that didn’t collude to play together.
    There was no little to no free agency at the time. Also, they had a competent roster. What's your point?

    And 95 Jordan had just come back and clearly was not in form.
    ...so?

    How come when LeBron goes to the NBA Finals and loses that is held against him, but when Michael is not good enough to get to the Finals, there is always some excuse?

    If you want a nice Magic reference, how about James losing to them in the playoffs?
    What about it? I'm not the one making arguments about championships.

    Also, if you want to compare a Bulls team that was playoff caliber without Jordan to a Cavaliers team that became the worst in history when James left, then feel free. But I think we both know there's not a very good argument for you there, on multiple levels.

    I’ll take Shaq and Penny all day against Dwight Howard and no one. The East has been a joke since 09.
    Yes, because the East was so tough during the 90s...

    And honestly, do we really not understand players have primes? Did I even bring up James’s early years?
    I don't think I said anything about Jordan failing to reach the playoffs with the Wizards.

    I forgot that the Dallas Mavericks were all timers. Nowitzki and who?
    Jason Terry, Shawn Marion, Tyson Chandler and Jason Kidd.

    And Rick Carlisle is a darn fine coach.

    Frankly, that should’ve been James’s easiest victory
    Agreed. And the Heat were the more talented team, though I think their depth and chemistry was not very good and that is often overlooked.

    But at the end of the day, my point is pretty clear. Using championships to measure greatness is silly. But if we're using that metric, Jordan only went to the Finals 6 times, LeBron has been 9 (including 8 straight). Jordan lost to historically great teams (Boston, Detroit), but so did James (San Antonio, Golden State). Both have pulled strings with the team to better it and both are credited for getting coaches fired.

    Championships and pulling strings are not my argument, but if it is your argument, then Jordan does not have an advantage.

  11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  12. #407
    Senior Member SSJPhenom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    306
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    162
    Well the NBA season kicked off in earnest last night and it was one of the best opening nights that I've seen in recent years.

    Everyone is talking about how Toronto won last night but all I seen from them was that they were struggling with a Zion-less Pelicans who's main players were all new. I don't think Toronto is going to have a seat at the table of best teams in the East this year. That's clearly (and I know we've just begun but barring injury) going to be the Sixers and Bucks and maybe the Celtics. Once Durant comes back, the East may well be able to contend with the West as far as powerhouse teams go.

    Then there was the epic Battle: Los Angeles. (See what I did there?) The two teams most people think are going to win it all are not only in the same city but they're in the same building. It was awesome to watch and some people think that the Clippers winning last night shows that they have the edge. I mean hell, they didn't even have Paul George last night. I'm not worried about the Lakers, though. Every player on the Lakers is new except for 3 people. So I expect them to struggle. Hell, even the coaches are new on the Lakers. It's going to take them the first 20 or so games to get it right. Also, they're dealing with injuries of their own with Rondo, Kuzma, and Cousins out. The Clippers, on the other hand, are the opposite. Everyone on their team, except for 2 players, played for them last year. They have the same coach and the same system. So I expect that the Clippers will be more impressive early on, but basketball, more than any other sport, comes down to who has the best players on their team. LBJ and AD are a better duo than Leonard and PG. So when it comes playoff time and the Lakers have had time to gel (again, barring injury), I expect that they'll be the better of the two and come out of the West to face the Sixers in the Finals.

    That's right, I'm predicting it now! It'll be Lakers/Sixers for the 2020 Finals.

  13. #408
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    137
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    114
    Dallas looks great, too. That's a duo. We're moving into the age of duos again, which I'm more than happy about. Makes the NBA far more competitive. I think the WCF ends up being Mavs/Clippers, ECF being Bucks/Sixers.

  14. #409
    Call me, Rhea #RicSolarFlair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,733
    Likes (Given)
    1023
    Likes (Received)
    1577
    Way too early to predict Eastern/Western Conference final match-ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    Oh shit! #MrScissorsKick is going nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    I'm ok with Raw being 3 hours of Rhea Ripley.

  15. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
  16. #410
    Senior Member SSJPhenom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    306
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    Way too early to predict Eastern/Western Conference final match-ups.
    If you had of said this last year or even a couple of years ago; I would've easily been able to argue the point. That's the beauty of this NBA season though. There's a legit 7 or 8 teams that have a realistic chance of competing for a championship this season. That's f'n awesome.

    Having said that, I completely stand by my prediction. (Barring injury)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •