Thread: Odds Slashed on The Rock Appearing at WrestleMania 34

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Odds Slashed on The Rock Appearing at WrestleMania 34

If you've been keeping up with the betting odds for this year's WrestleMania, you'll know the chances of an appearance by a certain jabroni beating (alala), pie eating, trail blazing, eye brown raising etc... individual have been slashed. As such there is anticipation that this year's WrestleMania will feature a guest stint by none other than Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Now since his guest hosting stint at Mania 27, Johnson hasn't missed a Mania with the exception of last year's, and frankly his presence was not missed.

Fan's patience with 'The Great One' wore a tad thin the year prior when he took the better part of an hour (no, seriously), on an already overly long and bloated show, to come out with a flamethrower, flanked with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders (again, seriously), in order to announce the - disputed - attendance figure for WrestleMania 32. This lead to an extended talking segment opposite The Wyatt Family, a (very short) match with Erick Rowan and a tag team ring clearing alongside former nemesis John Cena. This came off the back of a similarly long segment the year prior alongside Ronda Rousey and opposite the Authority tandem of Triple H and Stephanie McMahon which is being revisited in the latter's mixed tag team match versus Rousey and Kurt Angle. Could that be related to the Rock's appearance? Is he going to be a corner man for the two Olympic medalists? Could he run interference on their behalf?

Well...maybe.

Most fantasy bookers/news sites seem to be under the impression his appearance will be to save the day after an extended concert by Elias at WrestleMania. Elias has talked about wanting a segment with the Rock at Mania in an interview recently, while Rock himself has held several 'concerts' in the past, so it is entirely possible the two men trade musical barbs before getting physical. One would assume this would come off the back of Elias cutting a scathing promo/song on the Superdome crowd with Rock the all-conquering hero to save the day. Given his status as the biggest movie star in the world and legendary resume inside the squared circle, the artist formerly known as Rocky Maivia is guaranteed to get a major pop and time to work his magic. However, with the 34th WrestleMania already sporting a (probably) 14 match card, not to mention the various skits, segments, video packages, elaborate entrances, Hall of Fame commemorations etc... the show is going to be exceptionally long. So, given Johnson's tendency to elongate segments by milking the crowd and spouting catchphrases, will this fun idea be bogged down by the same issues as his two previous appearances at 'The Grandest Stage of 'Em All'?

Only time will tell. What are your thoughts on a potential Rock appearance? What would you like to see him do? Who would you like to see him interact with?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The usage of Rocky in recent years has been very indicative of how WWE uses their part time/stars of yesteryear. He shows up, the live crowd enjoys it, he reminds everyone of why he used to be cheered by the masses, then nothing of real note happens and he goes away for a while. No one benefits from his presence. He gives no rubs to anyone. He (usually) isn't even announced ahead of time to drive ticket sales.

If they have him do something with Elias it will be Elias starting his concert, Rock coming out and spouting off catchphrases and sophomoric humor and hitting a Rock Bottom on Elias. They should have all that happen, until it comes for for the Rock Bottom, then have Elias smash the guitar on Rock and leave him down and out. You can never take that moment away from Elias and he benefits by getting to brag for a while about how laid out the Rock and Wrestlemania.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd lose my shit if Elias is in the middle of the ring and then Steve Austin and The Rock appear over each shoulder holding a guitar.

But I can't imagine Austin sees Elias as somebody worthy of sharing a segment with him.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Jeff Jarrett might be willing to share the spotlight with him. Seems more reasonable to me if Elias becomes an HoF whipping boy Sunday. The Rock sharing a segment with him smacks of Wrestlemania sweetness, but part of me really wants to see someone hit him in the head with a named guitar. The Rock or any other huge name doing it feels like a waste.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    No one benefits from his presence.
    Bullshit. the live crowd does.

He gives no rubs to anyone.
    He tried to give his cousin Roman the rub, and the mongoloids from Philthy shit all over him.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It seemed relatively clean while I was there...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I want to see The Rock at Mania but only if they keep his segment short.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was really hoping he would be Rousey's partner. I'll take a 30 minute talking segment, though.

Thread Information