1 16.67%
  • Edge

5 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCF Tournament, Round of 32 - AJ Styles vs. Edge

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SCF Tournament, Round of 32 - AJ Styles vs. Edge

The following match is scheduled for one fall. The match is held in Indianapolis, Indiana and is a Round of 32 matchup. All seeds represent overall tournament seeding.

#15 AJ Styles vs. #18 Edge

The discussion period will last for two days, followed by two days for voting. You may vote for whomever you feel deserves to win this match. Please post your reasons below if you wish.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For most of his career, AJ Styles has been a big fish in a small pond. As soon as Edge ascended past Vampire Lackey, he was an integral part of the biggest wrestling organization in the world, in one way or another, working his way up from one of the most beloved tag teams in the company's history to one of the most hated villains in the company's history.

I'm not sure what the argument for Styles over Edge could be, maybe one could argue he's a better wrestler? But I think that would be a weak argument to make, and while Styles certainly has high flying moves that Edge does not, Edge was a wildly entertaining performer that took him to the top of the wrestling world. Edge's influence on American wrestling is certainly greater than Style's, and he's Canadian which gives anyone a few extra brownie points in my book.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is a close match, but I think AJ has one major quality over Edge in this match-up; the fact that he, more than any other name, whether that be Angle, Joe, Jarrett or anyone else, established TNA as the definitive #2 company in America during his tenure there. Edge was fortunate that he was exposed in an environment that was already highly popular due to the Attitude Era and what came before it, and then later etched his name in the history books through that company. AJ's path was a lot more difficult, having to work in a relatively unknown company, and through his excellent matches and TNA's continued prosperity in the late noughties, became a household name, and eventually made it to WWE, going on to have a great career in his own right. So while both men have had great careers, I think AJ had the extra mountain to overcome that AJ didn't, which makes his accomplishments all the more special in my opinion.

No disrespect to Edge, but AJ edges this out on merit for me.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    This is a close match, but I think AJ has one major quality over Edge in this match-up; the fact that he, more than any other name, whether that be Angle, Joe, Jarrett or anyone else, established TNA as the definitive #2 company in America during his tenure there. Edge was fortunate that he was exposed in an environment that was already highly popular due to the Attitude Era and what came before it, and then later etched his name in the history books through that company. AJ's path was a lot more difficult, having to work in a relatively unknown company, and through his excellent matches and TNA's continued prosperity in the late noughties, became a household name, and eventually made it to WWE, going on to have a great career in his own right. So while both men have had great careers, I think AJ had the extra mountain to overcome that AJ didn't, which makes his accomplishments all the more special in my opinion.

No disrespect to Edge, but AJ edges this out on merit for me.
    While AJ Styles was building the TNA brand, Edge was headlining WrestleMania.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    While AJ Styles was building the TNA brand, Edge was headlining WrestleMania.
    And Roman Reigns was most likely in diapers when Hogan bodyslammed Andre. I don't understand your point.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And Roman Reigns was most likely in diapers when Hogan bodyslammed Andre. I don't understand your point.
    Spending your career propping up the #2 wrestling show < Spending your career succeeding immensely on the #1 wrestling show

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    Spending your career propping up the #2 wrestling show < Spending your career succeeding immensely on the #1 wrestling show
    I disagree. Whilst Edge was most definitely successful in his career in the WWE, his overall success and legacy is predicated on him being in a company that was already established, and during Edge's prime, he didn't exactly move the needle; if anything, the needle moved in the wrong direction. I'm not trying to blame this on Edge, but in the grand scheme of things, he'll be seen as a big fish in an ocean full of talent.

AJ is in a similar position when it comes to the WWE, a big fish in an ocean full of talent, which is what makes this match as contentious as it is. However, AJ has one distinct advantage over Edge, in that he was one of the instrumental players in building TNA into a legitimate wrestling company; and probably the reason that despite its horrendous mismanagement for nearly 10 years now, it's still staying alive on past glory. AJ became a huge name without needing the WWE, and the only other wrestler I can think of that transcended that accomplishment in modern wrestling history is Sting.

Edge is great, as is AJ, and it's a very close one to call. However, AJ has ultimately had the more difficult path to tread, which makes it all the more of an accomplishment that he's reached where he has today.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Him humping Lita got a 5.2 rating. Neither men were Steve Austin, but this moving the needle talk seems to favor Edge way more than Styles.

AJ worked hard to become a name outside of WWE. Admirable, but I think it's more impressive that Edge became a headliner in the biggest pro wrestling company in the world while guys like John Cena and Batista were staking their claims around the same time. Can you imagine Styles being a big deal if he was in the same promotion as them? Or a Triple H or a still spry Undertaker? I can't. AJ's biggest challenge was TNA.

My vote is swaying Edge right now but I may change my mind if there's something other than AJ being the only notable in a company that never rivaled WWE.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I mean, sex sells regardless of its quality, just look at the Fifty Shades series.

Also, AJ Styles is a headliner today in a wrestling company more stacked than ever. I'd say his rise to the top in the WWE is even more impressive than Edge's, just look at the sheer amount of talent on the WWE roster currently.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I mean, sex sells regardless of its quality, just look at the Fifty Shades series.
    You said he didn't move the needle, even stating that it went backwards when it's clear this wasn't true.

Also, AJ Styles is a headliner today in a wrestling company more stacked than ever. I'd say his rise to the top in the WWE is even more impressive than Edge's, just look at the sheer amount of talent on the WWE roster currently.
    You may be giving Jinder Mahal more credit here than he deserves.

11. Likes JGlass liked this post

Thread Information