1 16.67%
  • Edge

5 83.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCF Tournament, Round of 32 - AJ Styles vs. Edge

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    I disagree. Whilst Edge was most definitely successful in his career in the WWE, his overall success and legacy is predicated on him being in a company that was already established, and during Edge's prime, he didn't exactly move the needle; if anything, the needle moved in the wrong direction. I'm not trying to blame this on Edge, but in the grand scheme of things, he'll be seen as a big fish in an ocean full of talent.

AJ is in a similar position when it comes to the WWE, a big fish in an ocean full of talent, which is what makes this match as contentious as it is. However, AJ has one distinct advantage over Edge, in that he was one of the instrumental players in building TNA into a legitimate wrestling company; and probably the reason that despite its horrendous mismanagement for nearly 10 years now, it's still staying alive on past glory. AJ became a huge name without needing the WWE, and the only other wrestler I can think of that transcended that accomplishment in modern wrestling history is Sting.

Edge is great, as is AJ, and it's a very close one to call. However, AJ has ultimately had the more difficult path to tread, which makes it all the more of an accomplishment that he's reached where he has today.
    This argument is so stupid. It would be like saying, "Sure, I know Tom Brady just had a fantastic football season, but Buck Folgers is putting XFL on the map!" You're comparing a top star in the best league with a top star in a second rate league and giving the second rate star the edge because he has LESS competition? Edge had to compete with Cena, Orton, HHH, Batista, HBK, Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, and yet he still became an 11 time World Champion.

And this whole "not moving the needle," argument is just incorrect on its face. This is a man who pioneered the TLC match. He won the first Money in the Bank ladder match. He was the top heel in the company for the better part of a decade.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Both these guys careers are quite similar. AJ has carried Smackdown for the last 2 years. He's held the WWE title for a combined 284 days and counting. Edge did the same thing, helped carry SD from 2007-2009 as a foil for Batista and Undertaker, and then again from late 2010 up until his retirement. He also helped boost RAW as a major foil for Cena during his first run. And later Triple H and Jeff Hardy. I think a major point against Styles is that he's been established as a lesser champion than Brock Lesnar. While Edge never had a show built around him like AJ has, he's never been made to look like a lesser champion.

It's a tough match. I think it's all about longevity, and Edge has that. He's was a headliner in the most profitable wrestling promotion in the world for longer than AJ has been. Even if you factor in the time AJ spent as a top draw in New Japan.

I think AJ needs time. For now, I say Edge wins.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My gut is telling me that AJ should have won this, though I'm not really sure why. Edge is more decorated against better competition but there are a litany of unexpected stars who made it to the top through graft. There aren't many like AJ who were big elsewhere and then made the transition to WWE seamlessly. WCW's biggest stars that moved across were probably DDP and Booker T and they didn't come close to establishing themselves as AJ did. Jericho, Guerrero and Benoit took ages to do it, as did the Big Show. Goldberg is probably the only other wrestler that was entirely associated with a rival national promotion that came in as a championship contender, but he was a huge flash in the pan. I don't know, I think what AJ has done has been remarkable, and despite continuously having 'bigger stars' brought in above him he kept smashing through the ceiling. I like Edge a lot, and can see why he's won, but Styles is better for me.

Thread Information