Thread: Superstar Shake-Up 2018

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Superstar Shake-Up 2018

As announced on this past Monday's RAW, the 2018 Superstar Shakeup is set to take place across both RAW and SmackDown Live next week. Last year was basically just a whole bunch of people showing up on the brand they were reassigned to, so I very much expect the same (underwhelming) formula to be replayed this year. One assumes the only people exempt from this will be the champions (midcard titles moved last year, so perhaps not those, but would they move Rollins and Jinder across brands, especially when plans beyond are already in place for both at Backlash?) so its a guess who goes where.

A lot of people are in desperate need of a refresher with both the Women's and Tag Team divisions on both brands really dying for a make-over. Given she lost the championship on Tuesday, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Charlotte moved back to RAW to set up her versus Rousey down the line. In turn Asuka moving to SmackDown on a permanent basis allows for her to murder Carmella for the title and it seems Alexa Bliss has exhausted all possibilities on RAW at the present time (not that she hasn't done the same on SmackDown, highlighting the shallowness of the division). Sasha and Bayley pulling an Owens/Sami is also possible with one moving thinking they've gotten out of the shadow of the other, only to be followed over and continuing their feud. Usos seem to have done everything they can on SmackDown so a move to Monday's seems inevitable. Maybe Gallows & Anderson make the journey to Tuesday's in exchange?

As for main event/higher card talent, its a bit more open. Finn Balor moving to SmackDown could be on the cards and would be a welcome change for him - Balor vs. Nakamura, vs. AJ or, vs. Bryan (assuming he doesn't move) could all be a lot of fun...though I'm sure he'll be given that usual introductory treatment of being put in a lifeless feud with Dolph Ziggler. Randy Orton going to RAW seems obvious, but he's got a US title match with Jinder ahead of him, so perhaps its farewell to Daniel Bryan? They did give us AJ vs. Bryan on free TV, with no build, and perhaps that is why?

Regardless, lots of possibilities ahead - what do you think - who'll by flying the red flag and who'll be feeling blue this coming week?

To be honest, I don't mind if they don't go through some big hoopla as they used to do with the WWE Draft. I don't need to watch matches in which the winner determines which brand gets the next pick and all that stuff.

I don't expect anything different from last year in that we'll have some women moved around, some mid-card guys moved around, a tag team or two from each brand moved and maybe one or two of the lower card teams broken up. They're gonna keep up the whole "free agent" thing with John Cena, Brock Lesnar will be kept on Raw because we all know, despite Vince's completely transparent marketing campaign aside, Raw will always be the priority in his eyes and that means he'll keep his Lesnar on Monday nights, Roman Reigns will almost certainly still be on Raw, I wouldn't mind seeing the mid-card championships, along with the champions, switch brands, I'd like to see the Miz head back to the blue brand to possibly go after the WWE Championship and, at some point, renew his rivalry with Daniel Bryan. I wouldn't mind seeing Sanity called to the main roster and for either them or AOP to be on the blue brand. The fun is seeing who winds up where and what that possibly means in terms of feuds.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

3. Likes Wildcat66, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The draft formula that used to take place was stupid. I always hated the random drawing and wished it was like the first draft where Vince and Flair just picked people they wanted. Why in kayfabe would I want to win a match that gets my show a pick for another wrestler who could end up being someone like Lesnar or Reigns?

I don't see really any big names moving on this nor do I care that much. If Miz goes to Smackdown i'll be happy and that's about it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm more curious to see who gets released after they've decided who goes where on each brand. Ziggler and Kane and my two picks for high profile releases.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    I'm more curious to see who gets released after they've decided who goes where on each brand. Ziggler and Kane and my two picks for high profile releases.
    I dont think they'll go the release route with Kane it'll be retirement

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Complete Shake-Up Run-Down:

RAW
    • Jinder Mahal (feat. Sunil Singh)
    • The Riott Squad (Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan, Sarah Logan)
    • Zack Ryder
    • Mojo Rawley
    • Breezango/The Fashion Files (Tyler Breeze & Fandango)
    • Natalya
    • Dolph Ziggler
    • Baron Corbin
    • Mike Kanellis
    • The Ascension (Konnor & Viktor)
    • Bobby Roode
    • Chad Gable
    • Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn [Free Agents]
    • Drew McIntyre [Via NXT]

SmackDown Live
    • The Miz
    • Jeff Hardy
    • Absolution (Sonya Deville & Mandy Rose)
    • Samoa Joe
    • Big Cass
    • Asuka
    • Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson
    • The Bar (Sheamus & Cesaro)
    • R-Truth
    • SAnitY (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe, Killian Dain) [Via NXT]
    • Andrade "Cien" Almas & Zelina Vega [Via NXT]

So coming into this, RAW was far too top-heavy, especially with Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns monopolizing the top title. SmackDown had too many bland personalities packed into a dull midcard. Both shows have remedied that problem with SmackDown gaining multi-faceted stars who are flexible in their position - Joe, Miz, Hardy, Sheamus and Cesaro can all work in the midcard or higher up - while RAW has thickened its midcard with guys like Corbin, Roode, Mahal etc... allowing guys like Rollins and Balor to move further back up the card. Oh and both McIntyre and Almas on opposite shows could make for some intriguing viewing.

Tag team wise, SAnitY could be a lot of fun opposite any of the major players in the division - Bludgeon Bros. Usos, New Day, Gallows & Anderson or The Bar on SmackDown - and RAW seems to have refreshed itself with the arrival of the Authors of Pain last week and the new tandem of Woken Matt & Bray Wyatt, not to mention the Fashion Police, could we see the Fashion Files return as a bit on the longer RAW? Maybe even Sami & Kevin can enter competition their? Or the Miztourage on their own? And there's that new Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre duo too so plenty of options.

With regards to the women's division, there was enough change to produce new match-ups etc... across both shows with strong cores of Asuka, Becky, the IIconics, Carmella and Charlotte on SmackDown and Nia, Ember, Alexa, Sasha, Bayley on RAW (not to mention Rousey too). I'm sure it'll be cycled through and redundant again by SummerSlam, but for now there is some freshness.

Who won? SmackDown, for sure. They've got seasoned, developed competitors all over their card and a nucleus of Styles, Nakamura, Bryan, Joe, Miz, Jeff Hardy etc... which is frankly frightening with the amount of talent available (not to mention Mr. Match of the Night, Andrade "Cien" Almas). Their women's and tag scenes are developing nicely and the direction of the show is at once obvious but also surprising. RAW is packed with people and should be a better balanced programme, but as long as the main event is dominated by the same stale stories as before, it'll remain a slog.

Thread Information