Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most overrated matches in your opinion?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    CM Punk vs Chris Jericho at WM 28. This definately wasn't the best match on the card as some said back then.

Almas vs Gargano from TakerOver: Philladelphia. Why was this 5-stars when HBK vs Undertaker wasn't?

Any Okada vs Omega match. Yes, they were definately great and maybe 5-stars, but going 6 stars, 6,5 stars was insane...

Reigns vs Cena. Just like Rock vs Hogan before that and Andre vs Hogan even before that, here we have a match that absolutely sucked but the fans loved it because of the names involved. Which raises the question: what is considered a good wrestling match? A match that gets the fans screaming or a match that is technicaly amazing and has great psychology?

IMO a 5-star classic should combine story, fan reaction, in-ring work, psychology and storytelling.

Also, Undertaker vs Triple H at Wrestlemania. All of them. The first one was a glorified brawl. The second one was a big battle, sure, but it wasn't the best match of WM 27. The third one was overbooked and Undertaker looked like an immortal that night. So much that 3 F5s 3 years later seem not enough to put him out. All of them were great, but not as great as people make them out to be.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All of the matches between Kenny Omega vs Okada.

Yes, I'm biased.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA 2.0 View Post
    Reigns vs Cena. Just like Rock vs Hogan before that and Andre vs Hogan even before that, here we have a match that absolutely sucked but the fans loved it because of the names involved. Which raises the question: what is considered a good wrestling match? A match that gets the fans screaming or a match that is technicaly amazing and has great psychology?
    1) Reigns vs. Cena was garbage and this is the first I'm hearing of it generally being considered a good match. 2) Rock vs. Hogan and Hogan vs. Andre are both stupendously good. The latter might seem peculiar when viewed through a modern lens but if you don't understand Rock vs. Hogan, you don't understand wrestling.

Of course, there's the argument mentioned earlier that is obviously super compelling: if you entirely ignore that professional wrestling is largely the art of playing to and controlling a crowd, it's not very good. That's why I watch all matches on mute and pitch a vicious tent any time there's an empty arena match. When I was watching Gargano vs. Almas in Philly, I was frantically shushing everyone and telling them there was no way to tell the match was any good if they didn't stop yelling.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Undertaker vs HHH was the best match at WM17, sans TLC.

I think HBK vs Hart at WM12 is pretty overrated. Most Iron Man matches are.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Thread Information