Thread: Randy Orton...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Randy Orton...

...isn't very interesting, is he? Of course this is my opinion. I'm not a big Randy Orton fan, but I have always thought of him as a decent worker. However, it seems that last few years his programs have been the most uninteresting ones. He isn't a major attraction anymore and his feuds are some of the most boring ones across all WWE shows. His WWE title program with Jinder was a big dud (working with Jinder isn't a very exciting prospect in itself), and his current program for US title isn't the most interesting either. But it's just not the feuds. His matches are also pretty boring. I used to enjoy his matches, but they seem more and more formulaic. His feuds don't generate any strong emotions in me, and they haven't in a good 2-3 years. The only half decent feud was against Wyatt early last year and even that ended in couple of uninteresting matches. He still has his RKO for great reaction from the crowd, but that's about it.

Do you think Randy needs to change something? Is he fine in his current role? Is it just that he has been greatly overexposed and just needs to go away for some time?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't enjoy watching him but I recognize his talents and what could be. I think Triple H even talked about it in an interview last year. How he was frustrated that Orton still hasn't reached his full potential after all this time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Orton can be fantastic. With extensive research I could probably provide evidence of that.

He's one guy who's done enough to justify a transition to a proper part timer status.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He's certainly lacking right now. I used to agree that when Orton gives a damn, he's maybe the best worker, and even when he didn't care, still top ten. Now I can't say the latter with a straight face, and I haven't seen him care at all since the Wyatt program.

Definitely time for a shakeup. I've seen a "Future Killer" gimmick proposed before, as a mirror of the Legend Killer of his rookie years. Or frankly, any kind of gimmick that gives Orton a purpose or motivation, because if he's just another guy going after titles then Orton is going to rest on his laurels.

I find it absolutely laughable that anyone in WWE thinks that Orton vs Mahal is a program worthy of revisiting, when they have an insanely-popular Rusev who can barely sniff the outskirts of a midcard title program.

Orton is someone who, in my opinion, peaked too soon at too young an age. Orton was a six time World Champion, a Tag Team Champion, Intercontinental Champion and a Royal Rumble winner all before he was 30 years old. Over the course of the last 7 or 8 years, Orton's best programs have been, in my opinion, against Daniel Bryan in 2013-2014 during Bryan's quest to become WWE Champion and in the summer of 2011 against Christian for the World Heavyweight Championship. Everything else, for the most part, has been Orton either phoning it in, being put into spots that many just don't find interesting or a combination of both.

When Orton's motivated, he's genuinely one of the best in the business. The man knows how to tell a story, has a great understanding of psychology and can mesh well with just about anybody but there's just not a whole helluva lot that's interesting about Orton. I was happy at the idea of Orton being a challenger for the United States Championship but I have no real interest in seeing him win it and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment because, as I alluded to, Orton is someone that was so constantly pushed that it got old seeing him in such high profile spots. You could say the same about John Cena but Cena is someone who's never gotten lazy and Orton has never had Cena's energy or work ethic. Of course, it certainly doesn't help when he's put into programs with a talentless fart-muffin like Jinder Mahal or involved in programs that are just plain badly written, like we saw with Bray Wyatt.

When you get right down to it, I'm just pretty much "meh" most of the time when Orton's on my TV. It's not entirely his fault, but I just think Orton is someone who's done so much, is at an age and working a schedule in which his best use is to be put into high profile spots that primarily and ultimately put over younger and fresher talent.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I get the impression he just isnâ??t that bothered anymore, and doesnâ??t really take care about the little things in his matches. I donâ??t watch week to week but his ppv matches donâ??t really excite me. An early rko tease, a power slam, ddt from the ropes, rko. Rinse and repeat.

If he was to have some time away and come back with something to focus on, rather than just being around and falling into feuds, things could get better. A motivated Orton is great to watch, getting him motivated is the issue

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Orton is at his best when he's booked as either an arrogant prick (Legend Killer) or a straight up evil sociopath. He falls flat every time they try to just slightly slide him towards face. Being a heel is in his family blood.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He just doesn't give it his all. Randy Orton was on fire when he was younger, cause he had that fire in him. And you could see it back then. He was constantly giving it his everything night after night up until his face turn in 2010. After 2010, Orton is just there. He just exists. He had some good runs, in 2011 and in 2013 and he was on fire during his feud with Rollins as well. But that was it. But I don't really blame him. Creative has killed him. His only feud recipe nowadays is "RKO out of nowhere, let's feud". How can anyone be interesting like that?

They had something with the whole Wyatt/Orton thing and I never understood why they had to end this and go to Wyatt vs Orton at Mania. They could have kept them aligned. They were one of the best parts of Smackdown. 2017 was Orton's worse year, ever.

He's one of the company's top guys and he has no direction, no arc, nothing. And he is also to blame. Y2J always checks his feuds and gives out ideas. HBK used to do that as well. Orton doesn't. He's just bored from what I can tell. He just sits there and waits for his next feud to be written for him.

Also, as others have said, Orton is a natural heel. Take that Roode-Orton feud. Have Orton fail to win the championship at Fastlane. Then Orton turns heel on Roode and imagine this feud leading into Wrestlemania. Roode would be a made face now, since they keep him as a face because of his entrance music.

The creative works better when Orton is a heel and Orton works better when he's the heel. They haven't really managed to capture that spark Orton had back in 2010-11, in his early heel days. But the worse thing is his writting and I can recall many instances where they could have done something better with him, but just didn't.

Thread Information