Thread: Reminder: The Rock is Still "The People's Champion"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminder: The Rock is Still "The People's Champion"

Source - Cageside Seats: https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...-rampage-movie

There are times where *ahem* "smart" wrestling fans can get disenfranchised about individuals within the industry, and especially those who transcend it. The Rock has had a mixed relationship with said fanbase - I should know, I was one of many people who vocally complained about his elongated WrestleMania 32 segment for example. But without question he is one of the coolest, and genuinely nicest people in Hollywood, and indeed the world, if even a smidge of what goes through social media and the interwebz is true about the man. Above is one such example. He just made that girl's year if not life. He's incredible and I applaud him for being so engaged with his fanbase.

Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, whatever you want to call him, is awesome and forever "The People's Champ".

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That was a really nice thing he did there. Something that she will never forget for sure. I asked The Rock if he could show up at my work and give my boss a Rock Bottom but he hasn't replied back.......yet!
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He's interrupting their education and stealing her spotlight, this will hurt her down the line.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He always comes across as a kind of creepy motivational speaker to me (as if there's any other kind of motivational speaker).

When it comes to the Rock wrestling again, I'm over it. I'm just a guy that's more about the here & now rather than nostalgia; not that I don't like seeing my old favorites pop up now and again, because I really do, but I prefer it under certain circumstances. The purist in me is over seeing the Rock pop up to wrestle as it means a lot of unnecessarily long, drawn out promo segments in which the Rock pops off one liners and insults, spends a minimum of 5 minutes just posing and mentally jacking himself off while the crowd cheers his name, and winds up the center of attention to such a degree that everything else is treated as though it simply doesn't matter. I'm just over the Rock showing up to wrestle once and then disappear back to Hollywood for a year or whatever. I'm perfectly fine with the Rock showing up on special episodes of Raw, maybe to announce someone special to him going into the HOF, I don't even mind if he comes back for a promo segment primarily to hype his movie as long as he's not out there for half a friggin' hour. I don't hold him leaving wrestling against him whatsoever, he saw a huge opportunity and he seized it and he'd already done just about everything there was to do anyway though I do believe his return to the WWE years back for his Cena matches helped revive what was an all but dead movie career at the time.

As for as the Rock as a person, the only person I've really hears complain about him has been Vin Diesel and that's because the Rock came along, overshadowed him in the Fast & Furious movies and he got pissy about it. Of course, to be fair, I'd be surprised if the Rock doesn't have a pretty big ego himself; I mean, the man was a mega star athlete in high school and college, he was part of the 1991 Miami Hurricanes when they won the NCAA National Championship, he's 6'4" & about 250 lbs., his wrestling persona was a one line tossing alpha male, he won a total of 10 World Championships in WWE, drew huge money for the company, has seen his films gross billions of dollars, People Magazine voted him Sexiest Man Alive a few years back and he's reportedly worth in excess of $200 million.

Still, he has a reputation of being a good guy and is known for doing a lot of stuff for charity and I think doing that for that girl was pretty cool, it's something she'll never forget and something like that is great PR.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Thread Information