Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Infinity War Reviews

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Avengers: Infinity War Reviews

The review embargo for Infinity War lifted yesterday at 3 pm and as per usual reviews are hitting the internet like hot cakes. I haven't read a lot of them, however, I've read the reviews from the outlets that I trust and they've been overwhelmingly positive. IGN gave the film a 9/10 and Den of Geek gave it a perfect 5/5. There are others that I've watched/read and they've all been very high on the film. The best thing I've heard is that Thanos was great and that the film nailed the character. IMO, that's the most important thing for the film to get right. If it has an underwhelming villain then there's no reason for 30 heroes to come together.

All in all I'm hyped as hell for this one and now I'm even more excited. What do you guys think?

2. Likes ShinChan liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's reassuring to know they've nailed a villain after 19 films.

4. Likes A11, ShinChan liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know right. Out of all of the films in the MCU they've only really had like 2 memorable villains. That's horrible. I'm hearing great things about Thanos though. Even read one review that said he was "terrifying". It's from an outlet I tend to agree with on most things too.

6. Likes ShinChan liked this post
    I've heard mostly really good things about it. To be perfectly honest, I was hoping for something decent but I expected a clusterfuck considering how big and ambitious this movie is. I mean, with so many characters from so many different blockbusters coming together for one movie, I figured there'd be a lot of them would get lost in the shuffle but, apparently, that's not the case. If so, then this could really be the overall strongest addition to the MCU. Rottentomatoes.com has it listed at 86% fresh based on 125 reviews, so that leads me to believe that most critics enjoyed it but that they had a few complaints about it. I'm not surprised as a movie this ambitious is bound to have a few things here and that that rub people the wrong way.

Most of the MCU has revolved around the personalities of the heroic characters and there haven't really been a ton of memorable villains. That's not to say that most of them haven't been good, it's just that Thanos is one of those villains that's just on another level. He's not interested in wealth or influence, he has practically infinite amounts of that as it is, but what he wants is control on a scale that affects reality. Very few characters in comics really measure up to that as most are after wealth, power or control on a level that Thanos already has and one of the only ones to really measures up is Darkseid from the DC Universe, which isn't surprising considering Jim Starlin, the guy who created Thanos, based a good deal of Thanos on Darkseid.

The potential downside of this whole thing could be the sequal to Infinity Wars that's due out in May of next year. Anyone that's familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, which is really what this whole thing is based on, and knows anything about basic story set up is that Thanos is going to come off pretty much unstoppable in Infinity Wars and that he's miraculously brought down in the sequel and that someone uses the assembled Infinity Gems, or Stones if you prefer, to undo whatever it is he winds up doing for Infinity Wars.

If you're not familiar with the whole Infinity Gauntlet, the Gems, etc. then it might be best not to read this as I don't know how much of the comic storyline will be used in the film so this may accidentally contain some movie spoilers. The Infinity Gems/Stones are six artifacts whose origins have been altered in the movie, which is okay as it doesn't really take anything away, and each of the Gems has the potential to give a wielder complete control over a specific area of existence:

Mind Gem - The Mind Gem grants the user vast telepathic and telekinetic abilities or, in the case of those who already have those powers, enhance them even further. When used at full potential, the Mind Gem can allow the user access to the thoughts of every being in existence, even simultaneously. In the comics, in order for the Gem to reach its full potential, it has to be used in concert with some of the others but I doubt that'll be brought up in the movies.

Power Gem - The Power Gem allows the user to enhance any and all physical capabilities limited only by the imagination of the user. The Gem also allows the user to control and manipulate all forms of energy for any purpose that's, again, limited only by the imagination of the user. At full potential, the Gem can access all the physical and energy power that's ever existed or ever will exist. In the comics, the Power Gem is often used to bolster the effects of the others and help them to be used to their full potential.

Reality Gem - The Reality Gem essentially allows the user to alter existence to any degree he or she wishes contrary to any scientific laws. At full potential, the user can alter reality on a universal scale in any way. For instance, if the user wanted to create a galaxy populated entirely by gorgeous females made entirely of cotton candy, he/she could do so.

Soul Gem - The Soul Gem allows the user to control, steal or otherwise manipulate the souls of the living or dead. At full potential, the Gem allows the user to control all forms of life anywhere for any purpose.

Space Gem - The Space Gem allows its user to exist in any location, traverse any distance immediately via teleportation, rearrange space, move objects anywhere in reality and alter the distance of anything contrary to any physics laws or theories.

Time Gem - The Time Gem allows its user to see into the past, present or future, or even all alternate timelines, AKA string theory. The Gem also allows the user to slow, speed up, halt or essentially manipulate time to any degree based on his or her imagination and will.

So basically, if you're a being who collects and wields all these stones, you're basically omnipotent. Each Gem/Stone is a different color, though I'm not entirely sure off the top of my head which color goes with which stone. For the movie, I'm willing to bet that the overall powers of each Gem/Stone have been toned down as such imagination boggling power doesn't really work well in settings outside of comic books or Japanese anime.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes SSJPhenom, ShinChan, jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To follow up with your description of the Infinity Gems:

The Mind Gem: Currently in the possession of Vision. It's what gives Vision his powers of flight, tangibility, and energy manipulation. He can also read thoughts and manipulate them, although he doesn't do that much. The only time he's done this was when he went inside of Ultron's 'mind' and purged him from the internet. It's expected that Vision is going to lose the Mind Gem at some point in the film and when he does, I'm interested to see if it kills him and if not, what powers, if any, will he have. In the comics he never had the Mind Gem. He simply had a solar gem that absorbed sunlight to give him his powers.

Power Gem:. The purple gem that showed up in the first Guardians film. As seen in that movie, the wielder of just that gem alone can destroy entire planets with but a thought. Currently in the possession of the Nova Corps on Xandar. Probably Thanos' first stop in the film.

Reality Gem: Showed up as the Aether in Thor: the Dark World. The Dark Elves were going to use it to purge all light from the universe. That alone shows how powerful it is. Was in the possession of the Collector, but after his library exploded it is not known if he still has it or not.

Soul Gem: Hasn't appeared yet in the films. Fan theories are that it is either in Wakanda or Heimdhal has it.

Space Gem: Showed up as the Tesseract in the first Captain America and Avenger films. Was last seen on Asgard before before Asgard was destroyed by Surtr. Trailers have revealed that Loki stole it.

Time Gem: First appeared in Dr. Strange as the Eye of Agamatto. Dr. Strange is currently still in possession of it.

Can't wait to see this flick.

10. Likes ShinChan liked this post
    As to the potential plot of the film itself, I don't know how much they'll use from the comic storyline itself, or if they'll use any of it. In the comics, Thanos wanted the Gems for the purpose of giving a grand gesture to Death itself, who usually takes the form of a robed female skeleton in Marvel, by wiping out half the population of the universe. In the MCU, they've very much toned down or left alone much of the supernatural or metaphysical aspects of some of the comics. For instance, the Asgardians are essentially extra terrestrials rather than interdimensional beings who're connected to Earth with Gaea, the Elder Goddess and life force of Earth itself, being the matriarch of all the godly pantheons ever worshipped throughout the planet's history.

If the movie delivers some emotional moments and Thanos comes across like the ultimate badass, then the movie will ultimately serve its purpose. If it's just a big, loud CGI bash, then it'll be a huge letdown but that's never been the strategy for the Marvel films so I have high hopes.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

12. Likes ShinChan liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This isn't going to be for indy fans. It's going to be Transformers with characters we actually like. Don't go in with the wrong mindset and ruin it for yourselves.

14. Likes Spidey, ShinChan, Jack-Hammer, jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Admitted Marvel cynic holding his hands up and saying that was fantastic.

16. Likes ShinChan liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    Admitted Marvel cynic holding his hands up and saying that was fantastic.
    You've seen it? But how, he asked with excitement in his words.

18. Likes ShinChan liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It was released 0.01am today in the UK.

20. Likes ShinChan liked this post

Thread Information