I know cliches like great, one of a kind, instant classic, etc are over used to the point where when somebody says something like that about something, people just roll their eyes and keep on trucking. Well, when I tell you that God of War is an instant classic and quite possibly the best game made for the PS4 thus far; you can absolutely believe it. I'm not being hyperbolic, I'm not just excited about my newest bought game; God of War is amazing.

Let's start with graphics. The best looking game that I had seen this generation was Assassin's Creed: Origins. Not anymore. God of War graphics wise blows the competition out of the water. It's wonderful. The scenery and setting is just beautiful and everything flows wonderfully. There are many sections of the game that take place in and around snow. You can hear the crunch of the snow under Kratos' feet as he walks through it. Not only that, but your foot prints do not disappear from the snow. There's one moment in the game where you're walking through pretty deep snow and of course, enemies attack. Well during that battle, the entire area of snow is disturbed and it looks real. Not only that, but it stays disturbed. Wonderful. You can lose hours just looking at the game. Also, everything is this game is captured with one continuous camera shot. The camera never cuts. It seamlessly goes from cut scene to game play without any loading screens and what not. Unless you pause the game or stop playing, the camera never cuts. Amazing.

The game play is absolutely other worldly. In past GoW games you went from area to area just swinging your blades. In this game, thought needs to be put into how to best take down enemies. Also, in this game, Kratos' feel like an actual God. I don't know how else to describe it. You just feel powerful when you're controlling Kratos'. The Leviathan Axe really helps that feeling as well. A large part of this game will be spent swinging this axe. You'll also be throwing this axe and in true Thor fashion, the axe will return to you on command. It never gets old either. You can literally throw the axe and pin an enemy to a wall, fight the other enemies bare handed, then you see an enemy on a ledge about to fire at you. What do you do? You call the axe back and throw it at him and continue kicking ass. Also, if you're worried about the boy Atreus getting in the way, don't be. He's an absolute asset and joy to have during battle. You don't need to babysit him at all. You can command him to fire his arrows at whomever you please and even when you're not commanding him he'll take matters into his own hands and help fight the best way he can. It's wonderful.

Then there's the story. One of the greatest stories ever told in a video game. It's a story of Kratos trying desperately to run from his past and to protect his son from it as well. Its also a coming of age tale about a son learning to bond with his father as they both find themselves without the person in their lives that they both loved the most. They each learn how to deal with that loss and each other throughout the game and it's wonderful to watch. The voice acting is top notch and the NPCs are some of the best you'll see in any game ever. Especially this one dwarf. He literally makes me laugh out loud. All in all this game is almost too good to be true. It's damn near perfect. It's semi open world allows total immersion into the game and unlike other GoW titles, the story isn't linear. You can, at any time, explore and do side quests or find gear or what have you. It's great.

This game is generation defining. I really believe that when looking back this is the game that the PS4 will be remembered for. If I rated it I would give it a 10/10, an A+, 5 out of 5 stars. However you rate things it gets the most from me.

Has anyone else played it? If so, what did you think? I'm curious to see other's opinions.