Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enough Is Enough

Enough Is Enough

I'm not meaning this to be a hate thread on Roman Reigns. Reigns is universes better than he was and I think a good deal of the hate he gets isn't all that justified, but the super push needs to end. Roman is among the top guys in the company but Vince needs to give up on making him THE singular, undisputed next "face" of WWE. Roman Reigns has been on this seemingly near endless mega push really since the break up of the Shield. What I mean by that is we've all known what Vince has wanted for him and Vince has repeatedly tried to engineer this mega moments for Reigns time and time again. His WrestleMania match against Lesnar didn't work and his match with Lesnar at the GRR was sheer garbage with a botched ending. For WrestleMania, the match was basically a finish fest but what hurt it the most was Vince trying to cast Roman Reigns in the role of an underdog fighting from underneath. Vince should have long since figured out that fans aren't going to embrace Reigns in the way he feels they should, namely as this alpha male superhero/tough guy, and they damn sure aren't going to accept Reigns in the role of an underdog fighting the valiant fight from underneath. They caught lightning in a bottle with Lesnar vs. Reigns three years back but it's not gonna happen again.

The recipe with Reigns isn't working and it's not going to work, so it's time to try something new, in my opinion. Take him in a different direction, turn him heel, turn up the intensity, do away with this swaggering alpha male bullshit or bolster it by making him into a badass who kicks ass. Vince isn't getting the most he could be getting out of Reigns and that's mostly Vince's own fault. Look around at the fans of the modern era, pay attention to who they're into, pay mind to what excites them, etc. and try applying some of it to Roman Reigns.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah the controversial finish to today's match leaves the possibility open for Roman to challenge Brock AGAIN at Summerslam. They definitely need to move on. Either make Roman THE guy or don't. This whole "chasing the title" thing is not working. Nobody cares.

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What irks me most about Roman's presentation is the "Oh, listen to the polarizing reaction he gets." The comparison to such a reaction is the reaction Cena endured for years on end, but Cena's relationship with the audience was unique. His character always encouraged the loudest reaction whether it was for him or against him. The "polarizing reaction" was only a positive for Cena because he was presented as the personification of the "WWE Universe", for better or for worse. That's not Roman. Roman is (apparently) the baddest Big Dog that ever did Big Dog, and isn't (as a character, mind you) invested in how the WWE Universe thinks about him. The boos don't feed him like they do Cena. It's just poor presentation.

Honestly, best version of Roman that I can imagine is the Lesnar push, and that should have started after he beat the Undertaker. He should have been mowing down anyone in front of him between Undertaker and Lesnar. Anyone in Reigns' path that needed to be protected, well, let the Creative team think of Creative ways to protect the roster surrounding Roman! The stop/start "what a triumphant little underbigdog" stuff just doesn't work.

Worst part, none of it's Roman's fault.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Roman Reigns seems to be Lex Luger 2.0. They're trying to replicate a previous talent but it's not working.

The thing about trying to emulate Cena again is that Cena started off with a slow burn with Dr Thuganomics and a US title win. Heck people liked his initial WWE title win off JBL. When he moved to Raw from Smackdown the crowd loved it. It wasn't until he was beating everyone left right and centre that people started getting tired with him and even then Cena seems like such a nice guy in real life that people let it slide. His Royal Rumble 2008 return is seen as one of the best returns period and that's something.

Reigns doesn't have any of that. He didn't have a slow burn push or a change in gimmick. He was still the guy from The Shield that ended up with a massive push. Both Rollins and Ambrose had character changes stemming from the Shield break up.

Also doesn't help that he seems to be a bit of an arrogant dick (see him talking about main eventing Mania 4 times in a row). Someone like CM Punk is a dick but he fully admits that and also had to work for his spot.

For me what to do with Reigns is I would embrace being a dick and not caring. Give him MITB and see how it goes. If he starts getting over organically with the dick persona use MITB (ala RVD) and win. If not have him lose and push him down the card and have him in the midcard as a jobber to the stars

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's no consistency or character. There's no substance. He's the alpha male to end all alpha males, and then, suddenly he's the little engine who could (or couldn't as the case has become). He walks with a swagger and an arrogance of a bad-ass, and proceeds to complain about guilded schedules and Vince being in Brock's pocket. Why is that his issue if he's such a bad mutha'? Surely he'd come in, say it didn't matter and then try and crush Lesnar. Instead he's cast as this *ahem* "relatable" guy who has to fight from underneath, which totally contradicts the character they seem to want him to be the rest of the time and year.

There's nothing about Roman Reigns that makes me want to cheer him. He's cocky and arrogant, but fails to back it up and then moves the goalposts to say, 'We'll, it wasn't fair because x, y or z'. Why would I cheer for that? This is a fundamental issue that cripples the likability of Reigns and once you combine that with a guy whose matches are largely the same, a redundant signature/finisher spam fest, and you have a toxic disaster.

The narrative now should be Roman trying to figure out why he couldn't beat Brock, and acting on it, evolving as a character. Instead we're likely to be treated to a whole bunch of 'Its not fair, that part time bitch is hiding behind Vince's money' etc... before ultimately Roman finally defeats and slays the dragon and captures the gold to a chorus of thunderous boos and indifference and WWE scratch there heads and go, 'why is this happening? '

The title isn't being held hostage by Lesnar, but by this insufferable never ending cycle of rince and repeat failed booking. Just give Braun the chance to murder Brock and run with the jam belt. It'll be a fresh change of pace and a chance to see someone the fans genuinely have a connection with have the top spot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Reigns now just comes off as a loser that can't get the job done. If Vince's goal is to make him John Cena's successor, he should have ended Lesnar's reign at WrestleMania.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seth Rollins got a Hogan like ovation in Canada and Roman got a heel HBK hate in Canada. I haven't said this enough times already. Summerslam: champion vs champion, Rollins vs Lesnar. Hell I don't care, have Lesnar keep the belt until next year's Wrestlemania, but have Rollins beat him! He's the most over babyface right now, he's on fire and he's what? 32? 33? The entire Attitude Era lasted 4-5 years and that's exactly how much Vince has been trying to get Roman over. It's the definition of insanity! And he refuses to turn him heel!

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA 2.0 View Post
    The entire Attitude Era lasted 4-5 years and that's exactly how much Vince has been trying to get Roman over. It's the definition of insanity! And he refuses to turn him heel!
    Wow, when you put it in that perspectice, it is absolute insanity! This is digging heels at historic proportions.

Rollins is a good choice, but because I don't trust fans in large numbers(even in my own city), I wonder how loud his reaction would be if that belt he was wearing was red instead of white.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    Wow, when you put it in that perspectice, it is absolute insanity! This is digging heels at historic proportions.

Rollins is a good choice, but because I don't trust fans in large numbers(even in my own city), I wonder how loud his reaction would be if that belt he was wearing was red instead of white.
    Fans will cheer anybody as long as:
    he beats up Roman

Which means... Rollins beats Lesnar, then Reigns challenges Rollins out of jealousy, Rollins beats Reigns and voila, Rollins is the guy. He's been on fire ever since that amazing 1+ hour match and if he continues, he may as well dethrone Lesnar at Summerslam, if not WM 35.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    First of all, I must deduct points from Jack-Hammer for not following up his thread title with "And it's time for change!". This is a wrestling forum, for Christ's sake!

As to the topic, however, I disagree Reigns is not over. Reigns gets a massive reaction, his matches have a big fight feel (even on the undercard) and people care about the outcome of his matches. If Austin can be a mega babyface by playing a heel, I don't see why Reigns can't be a mega heel by playing a babyface. The biggest question is "Does Reign make money" and it seems fairly apparently the answer is "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by FunKay View Post
    There's no consistency or character. There's no substance. He's the alpha male to end all alpha males, and then, suddenly he's the little engine who could (or couldn't as the case has become). He walks with a swagger and an arrogance of a bad-ass, and proceeds to complain about guilded schedules and Vince being in Brock's pocket. Why is that his issue if he's such a bad mutha'? Surely he'd come in, say it didn't matter and then try and crush Lesnar. Instead he's cast as this *ahem* "relatable" guy who has to fight from underneath, which totally contradicts the character they seem to want him to be the rest of the time and year.

There's nothing about Roman Reigns that makes me want to cheer him. He's cocky and arrogant, but fails to back it up and then moves the goalposts to say, 'We'll, it wasn't fair because x, y or z'. Why would I cheer for that? This is a fundamental issue that cripples the likability of Reigns and once you combine that with a guy whose matches are largely the same, a redundant signature/finisher spam fest, and you have a toxic disaster.
    The problem you're outlining here isn't really with his writing, but rather with his microphone ability. That's the problem Reigns has, his mic work is just not up to standards for the character. Why the WWE hasn't paired him with a manager (Paul Heyman would be perfect for him, for so many reasons) is something I don't understand.

13. Likes jmt225, EnviousDominous liked this post

Thread Information