Thread: Hasn't John Cena become too much of a punching bag??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hasn't John Cena become too much of a punching bag??

Rethinking Undertaker vs John Cena... IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Undertaker beating Cena in 2 minutes in Cena's biggest Wrestlemania match, a match he so desperately wanted but at the end of the day Cena was shitting bricks. And quite frankly I don't really understand Cena's booking. Back in January 2017, he's one of the elite athletes in the world as he became a 16 time world champion by beating AJ Styles clean. He then beat Miz at Wrestlemania. And then the "wtf is happening began".

Cena vs Nakamura took place on a Smackdown episode and they faces each other in order to earn a world championship shot against the all-mighty Jinder Mahal. (Try reading that out loud). Cena loses. Then, Cena enters a stupid feud with Baron Corbin which results in Cena costing Corbin the briefcase, a briefcase he shouldn't have in the first place, but that's another story. Then Cena beats Corbin with ease. And then he goes to RAW to face the BIG DAWG. And Cena is murdering Roman week after week on the mic. And what happens when the match comes? Let me remind you. Cena is booked as if he can't handle Roman. L-O-L. Nothing can stop Romaaan Reigns and Cena loses. Oh around then Cena also lost to Braun Strowman on RAW.

Cena then returns and beats Elias and Finn Balor. Actually, not only he beats them, he doesn't even break a sweat doing so. Some weeks after that, he also beats WWE Champion AJ Styles, on Smackdown. He also beats Kane. And then Undertaker just beats the guy in 2 minutes because Cena was shocked.

Why can't they find a middle ground in this? It's either that Cena beats everyone with ease or ends up looking like everyone's bitch. Cena should be having competitive matches only. Win or lose. Beating him doesn't really hold any weight any more.

PS: And after that squash he beats Triple H clean. I forgot about that.

And I'm also going to open another subject here. Cena getting squashed was a shocker but Cena was the wrong man for the job. Undertaker vs John Cena was supposed to be a dream match. That dream match is now shattered. Undertaker should have squashed someone else.

2. Likes ShinChan, $ir D Da Realist liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You make a good point. I wonder if this is the by-product of this, for lack of a better term, "soft-retirement" of John Cena. Because he's just kind of drifting in and out as he pleases, perhaps his inconsistent schedule has lead to inconsistent storytelling.

Then again, the overall the creative direction of this year has seemed pretty fly-by-night in more than one storyline. It's not surprising if that would spill into Cena's direction, or lack thereof.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He cares more about movies than wrestling. Good for him. He's doing well with it. It is kind of funny given his prior criticism of The Rock, but not a big deal. He will do what they ask of him because he's not around all that often. If he ends up with a large hole in his schedule, I expect him to have a big run.

5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, ShinChan liked this post
    Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The fading away of Cena has been shockingly and sadly wasteful. It didn't really successfully put anyone over, and it just sort of....happened. Very unceremonious, very wasteful. It also further drives me fucking crazy that he just HAD to be Styles for the title at Rumble some years back. It makes that result even MORE utterly pointless, as Cena became an unglorified high profile jobber to the stars shortly thereafter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cena is essentially doing what The Rock did from late 2002- 2004 and that's slowly phasing himself out. Remember when Rock would only pop up here and there for certain feuds and matches in 2003? Rock would then have a match at WrestleMania XX, then he came back and seemingly started a story with Randy Orton that never went anywhere, before completely disappearing afterwards. Rock, throughout all of that would deny rumors of him leaving the WWE, before ultimately leaving quietly after his contract ended in December 2004. I remember seeing a video, where Rock finally had addressed the elephant in the room in 2005 from the set of a movie (I believe.) In that video, and later in a WWE.com Exclusive Interview, Rock basically announced that because of his schedule that he would be leaving the WWE for "awhile." If you pay close attention that's what Cena is doing right now. Cena just recently did a WWE.com interview saying that right now is the perfect time for him to "step away from the WWE" because they "no longer need me, but I'll still pop up here and there" if I'm available.
    EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
    ACTOR
    COMEDIAN
    RADIO HOST
    JOURNALIST

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by $ir D Da Realist View Post
    Cena is essentially doing what The Rock did from late 2002- 2004 and that's slowly phasing himself out. Remember when Rock would only pop up here and there for certain feuds and matches in 2003? Rock would then have a match at WrestleMania XX, then he came back and seemingly started a story with Randy Orton that never went anywhere, before completely disappearing afterwards. Rock, throughout all of that would deny rumors of him leaving the WWE, before ultimately leaving quietly after his contract ended in December 2004. I remember seeing a video where Rock finally had addressed the elephant in the room in 2005 from the set of a movie (I believe.) In that video, and later in a WWE.com Exclusive Interview, Rock basically announced that because of his schedule that he would be leaving the WWE for "awhile." If you pay close attention that's what Cena is doing right now. Cena just recently did a WWE.com interview saying that right now is the perfect time for him to "step away from the WWE" because they "no longer need me, but I'll still pop up here and there if I'm available."
    EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
    ACTOR
    COMEDIAN
    RADIO HOST
    JOURNALIST

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To me the biggest booking mistake when it comes to a Cena match was 28. He should have went over in Miami and that would have been his defining mania moment and match. There was no need to have a rematch a year later. That one will bother more then taker. I might be alone on this but I loved the whole lay out to taker vs cena.

10. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information