Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roseanne Canceled After Roseanne Barr Sends Out Racist Tweet

I sorta have to disagree with the underestimation of how important the show was during its initial run. There weren't a lot of shows on TV during the 80s & early 90s featuring a working class, blue collar family in which the mother character was not only the central character, but was also this brash, ballsy loud mouth who said exactly what was on her mind. It wasn't some runway or bikini model, or some other hottie playing the role in which she was gorgeous while the hubby was an overweight, blue collar working man. What I mean is that a lot of sitcoms often feature generally "normal" guys who're married to women who you'd think, just simply based on appearance, would be way out of their league and that wasn't the case here. She was as chubby, as blue collar as "common" as he was and all of that was a rarity. Sort of picture a female Archie Bunker, just without most of the racism, and that's pretty much Roseanne. The show also featured recurring characters who were gay in prominent ways which, again, was very much a rarity during those days; jokes were made because of their homosexuality, as you'd imagine, but, again, it was a very different time in some instances in which bigotry to a certain degree was tolerated. Also, and let's be honest, at some point in our lives, I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone here has laughed and will laugh again at jokes regarding the LGBT community, African Americans, Hispanics, overweight people, etc. that aren't exactly PC. The show was edgy and some of it would be over the line today, but nothing they ever did or said on the show was remotely close to the crap Roseanne was tweeting.

I hadn't watched any of the new episodes that'd been airing but I'm not surprised they were drawing like 20 million viewers. A lot of those viewers have identified themselves as people who're essentially tired of Political Correctness and they like a show with a central character who feels the same way on the show and in real life. I mean, it's far easier to lash out at someone and call them the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood and the Planet of the Apes than it is to grow, learn and evolve as a person.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Trump somehow made this about himself and that's the cherry on top of this full diaper.

I think we knew in the back of our minds Roseanne Barr would say something stupid enough to get cancelled eventually.

A quick look at her Twitter page is like looking into a cold abyss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kathy Griffin got fired for holding a decapitated head of you Trump, you persecution complex victim.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got my periscope out looking for all those people who were outraged over NFL owners not wanting to deal with a bunch of horse shit because a backup qb wanted to exercise his freedom of speech.

To be clear I'm all for both parties exercising their rights and also being held to account for the manner in which they chose to do so.

5. Likes Fallout liked this post
    Senior Member TheManTheyCalledNorCal's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Like I said, I'm not familiar with Roseanne. But I always prefered Elaine, Costanza and Kramer (before Michael Richards went crazy) to Jerry.
    I think Dan is everyone's favorite. It would be interesting to see how they handled it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Social media brings out the full retard in a lot of people. People don't expect consequences over the dumb shit they post, even though real life consequences cam and do happen all the time. Freedom of speech only means you can't get prosecuted specifically for what you say. It doesn't protect you from other consequences.

8. Likes Fallout, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBits View Post
    Social media brings out the full retard in a lot of people. People don't expect consequences over the dumb shit they post, even though real life consequences cam and do happen all the time. Freedom of speech only means you can't get prosecuted specifically for what you say. It doesn't protect you from other consequences.
    There's a trope in cartoons where a character will think forward to the future, and they're about to receive some honour, like graduating from university, or becoming the president, when someone will suddenly interrupt the ceremony, bring up something arbitrary, and the character will end up befalling some horrible fate. Here's my favourite example of it:

In this day and age, where what you post on social media matters more and more, one mistake can ruin your entire life. People have always said dumb shit, but it's easier than ever before to document it in the age of digital information, and hold it against them forever. I'm not defending Roseanne (I've been critical of her and Trump in this very thread), but I do think real life consequences over dumb shit said on social media is a dangerous precedent we're setting. I'm fine with ABC making the decision to get rid of the show, because she said this whilst contracted, but I think over the next twenty years, with a new wave of celebrities, people will be combing for old social media posts to shame them with.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    There's a trope in cartoons where a character will think forward to the future, and they're about to receive some honour, like graduating from university, or becoming the president, when someone will suddenly interrupt the ceremony, bring up something arbitrary, and the character will end up befalling some horrible fate. Here's my favourite example of it:

In this day and age, where what you post on social media matters more and more, one mistake can ruin your entire life. People have always said dumb shit, but it's easier than ever before to document it in the age of digital information, and hold it against them forever. I'm not defending Roseanne (I've been critical of her and Trump in this very thread), but I do think real life consequences over dumb shit said on social media is a dangerous precedent we're setting. I'm fine with ABC making the decision to get rid of the show, because she said this whilst contracted, but I think over the next twenty years, with a new wave of celebrities, people will be combing for old social media posts to shame them with.

People do already comb over past tweets and posts to regurgitate em and jump on the high horse.

Thereâ??s a large part of me that believes the creation social media is the worst thing humans have done to this point. Not only because the constant virtue signaling (for lack of a better term) from all areas of the political spectrum, but itâ??s also responsible for a serious breakdown of legitimate social skills.

11. Likes Fallout, Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It also gives a platform for the uninformed ignorants to spread their dumbassery. Snowflakes of the world need to feel their voice is heard.

The Conners will do fine for a season. Then fall off the cliff because Roseanne was the attraction. ABC knew what they were dealing with and shouldnt have acted like it was such a shock she said something controversial. Dan and Darlene have their moments, but without Roseanne to play off it will lose steam quick.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a huge amount of hypocrisy within the entertainment industry with regards to what happened with Peter Fonda and his far more barbaric comments recently.

Thread Information