Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roseanne Canceled After Roseanne Barr Sends Out Racist Tweet

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    Dan and Darlene have their moments, but without Roseanne to play off it will lose steam quick.
    Easy solution. Dan remarries. Not just any old second marriage. He marries another beloved late-80s sitcom star.
    Click for Spoiler:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I never watched Two and a Half Men but I remember people strongly believing the show would fall apart without Charlie Sheen. However, it remained a massive ratings hit for years afterward.

I wouldn't be surprised if 'The Conners' have similar success.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I will most definitely watch The Connors. Roseanne's character was usually the most annoying anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    There is a huge amount of hypocrisy within the entertainment industry with regards to what happened with Peter Fonda and his far more barbaric comments recently.
    I'd love to hear what you think is the hypocrisy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'd love to hear what you think is the hypocrisy.

Roseanne's joke was stupid. This is completely unhinged, and yet he was given little more than a slap on the wrist. Either punish them both, or don't punish either, don't make one rule for Roseanne and another for Peter Fonda.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What exactly could Peter Fonda's punishment be? He's not a star of a hit TV show, and he's not filming some big blockbuster film everyone knows about. So how do you punish him?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Roseanne's joke was stupid. This is completely unhinged
    Unhinged? No, it is LITERALLY happening to hundreds, if not thousands of parents. It's not unhinged to want those responsible to have empathy. If you think it is unhinged, then you should feel EXACTLY the same as Fonda, because what is "unhinged" about it is what is happening to thousands of children.

Don't get me wrong, what Fonda said was not okay...but neither is what is actually happening. That's not hypocrisy, what Fonda said LITERALLY is happening right now to other children.

and yet he was given little more than a slap on the wrist. Either punish them both, or don't punish either, don't make one rule for Roseanne and another for Peter Fonda.
    Roseanne made a racist remark to someone who had zero ability to change anything about her appearance. Fonda wanted the same thing to happen to Trump's child that is happening to other children, so Trump would understand what these other parents are going through.

Did he go too far in making his point? Yes. Is his point any less valid? Absolutely not. What Roseanne said was out of total bigotry, what Fonda said was out of anger/frustration for the people responsible for ripping children away from their parents and putting them in cages.

That's not hypocrisy when discussing the differing consequences, even if we accept the fictitious argument Peter Fonda and Roseanne are somehow in the exact same situation.

7. Likes jmt225, Fillet Club liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    I'm surprised she has been on air this long.
    yeah

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt225 View Post
    I never watched Two and a Half Men but I remember people strongly believing the show would fall apart without Charlie Sheen. However, it remained a massive ratings hit for years afterward.

I wouldn't be surprised if 'The Conners' have similar success.
    I never watched the new Roseanne, but boy was Two and a Half Men awful with Ashton Kutcher. I’m surprised it made it four seasons.

10. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Roseanne will be fine, its not the worst thing shes said or done. Hell, Tim Allen used to sell blow and he is still earning a check. Next month people wilk have something else to talk about and it wont be a big deal.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I figure I should add my two cents.

ABC is owned by Disney. I make that point to indicate the biggest reason by Roseanne was fired.

I don't mean to trivialize the issue of racism or take a side on the idea that maybe Roseanne didn't realize that Valerie Jarrett has African American roots. I'm just saying that Disney is notorious for not taking chances with individuals that upset the public regarding a hot button social issue.

I would have probably fired Roseanne as well, mainly because of how she chose to blame her meds and act as if she meant the insult to be indicative of Valerie Jarrett's Persian roots. My opinion; if you say racist things when you're intoxicated, that doesn't make you any less racist than if you had made that comment while sober. Also; if you really feel that you've been falsely accused of racism toward Black people for something that you said, claiming that you're actually racist toward Iranians is no solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information