Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone be interested in a greatest movie tournament?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would anyone be interested in a greatest movie tournament?

I was thinking of running a tournament that was about as accessible as the normal wrestling tournaments, and since pretty much everyone watches movies here, I was thinking of holding a single knockout tournament to determine SCF's greatest movie of all-time. Obviously, I need permission from the admins (this thread essentially serves as that), and I'd need to throw together some basic rules, but I was wondering if anyone else here was interested in the idea.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hell yeah. Can we submit suggestions?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tea View Post
    Hell yeah. Can we submit suggestions?
    Sure. But I'll need to get it approved before we start dumping our lists of films.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah man I'd be down for this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do it! But keep it at like 32 movies. 64 is too much. But yeah, I'm down.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How would you categorise it?

Would we just give you a list and you break it down by genre?

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sure why not?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    Do it! But keep it at like 32 movies. 64 is too much. But yeah, I'm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    How would you categorise it?

Would we just give you a list and you break it down by genre?
    In order to reach a bracket of 32, I'd probably have to do a genre-specific tournament, like action, which is perfectly fine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    In order to reach a bracket of 32, I'd probably have to do a genre-specific tournament, like action, which is perfectly fine.
    If you wanna go the whole way and had the time could do 8 genres and then put the 8 winners in a super tournament

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So, I forgot about this, but just remembered it today. Here's what I'm thinking.

• A 32 movie bracket of action movies (which can be a bit awkward to define, movies like Gone With The Wind aren't action, but would Star Wars or They Live be considered purely action or more sci-fi? Would Zootopia be an action movie because it has action in it? I'll allow people to discuss certain movies if they're nominated and whether they primarily count as action movies, or should be classified as something else)
    • A one per franchise rule. This would stop stuff like James Bond, Lord Of The Rings etc getting unfair opportunities at winning.
    • Single elimination; double elimination would eat up far too much time.
    • Before the tournament starts, each person gets 2 nominations for films to be in the tournament. The first is to be one that is generally considered one of the best action movies of all-time (The Dark Knight, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Mad Max: Fury Road as examples. Don't vote stuff like Alien 3 or Tomorrow Never Dies for this catergory, as they aren't as universally acclaimed). The second choice is for your more subjective opinion, and while you're free to nominate another ground-breaking film in this category, you do have the liberty to nominate something more personal.
    • Debate is to be expected, and absolutely encouraged. It's also highly recommended that you [re]watch both movies before voting on a match-up, or at least have a good idea of both movies before you vote, nobody likes it when you just vote for the one movie you've seen.

If you're happy with these rules, and Sly and KB are OK with it, I can get this running at the start of August.

11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information