Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spidey's Snack Shack | Cult/Horror Review & Recipe Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    #23: Dead Alive

Theatrical Release: August 13, 1992

Appetizer: US Billboards Top Song At The Time

Click for Spoiler:

"End of the Road" By Boyz II Men (August 9, 1992 - November 13, 1992)

Dead Alive (or Braindead) is a New Zealand dark comedy/zombie horror movie written and directed by Peter Jackson. Considered by many critics to be "the goriest fright film of all time", this flick bombed at the box office but managed to develop a cult following after Jackson became successful with the Lord of The Rings movies. This movie was suggested by Jeff Deliverer of Mail.

As far as technical aspects including special effects goes...yeah. This movie goes above and beyond the $3 Million budget it was given - to put this in perspective, The Room had a $6 Million budget (adjusted for inflation, Dead Alive still doesn't top it). So with what little Jackson had, he did wonders. The gory scenes are indeed cringe-inducing and I can't even describe how over the top it is. I grew up on Evil Dead and Troma films and this movie manages to give them a run for their money. Just slapstick shlock all around - lighting, environment, acting, makeup/prosthesis, you name it. And when we get to the house party...oh man. A delightful hellscape cometh.

This film is a uhhh love story? A matricidal fantasy? Pure gonzo filmmaking? I have no idea. I'm just a kid who tries to make sense of the things he sees on television, but sometimes that fails me. Dead Alive isn't like anything I have seen before, and I've seen some crazy stuff. I can't tell if this movie has a deeper meaning. It sure feels like it sometimes. But the nihilistic comedy offsets that to a degree that it confuses me (but it doesn't annoy). Don't get me wrong - this is not a movie I see myself watching a few more times to get a better picture. It most definitely is the sort of film I would suggest to friends to watch them squirm though. For that it gets points.

Grab some rope and tie yourself in for a left turn into absurdity. Don't forget to leave a tip and kick some ass for The Lord.

💀 💀 💀

Tonight's Special: Simple Custard

When the WLWL are invited over for a meal, this dessert really gets the blood going.

INGREDIENTS (Serves 8)

4 cups of milk
    4 eggs
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon butter
    1/2 cup white sugar

1. Cook and stir milk, vanilla extract, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove mixture from heat before it comes to a boil.

2. Whisk eggs, sugar, and cornstarch together in a bowl until sugar dissolves.

3. Set saucepan back over low heat. Pour in egg mixture slowly, whisking constantly, until custard thickens enough to coat the bottom of a spoon, 5 to 10 minutes.

-not to be confused for #7's Egg Custard-

Stop by Spidey's Snack Shack and get yourself a bite!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bought it, watched it twice, saw no deeper meaning past, Peter Jackson writes a cannon King Kong universe zombie story where a guy kills zombies with a lawnmower.

This is cannon in that universe by the way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hint

For real? Huh. I wonder if that island of rat monkeys harbored one with Gigantism.

It's time I reinvented an old recipe here at The Diner. I've whipped up quite a batch of Horror lately with the occasional romp in drama and dystopic, and I'll tell you what - I need a change of pace. Time for me to kick my multiple legs up and take it less serious around here. Time for me to pull something out of the ol' icebox here up front and tickle my sweet tooth. Time for me to relax my spoopy mind and think back on the good old days of white Broncos evading the police at 40 mph. The days of Michael Jordan returning to the NBA toa hero's welcome. Back before there was such a thing as a Pokemon.

Back when moviegoers thought Alicia Silverstone was the future...but that's, like, whatever...

Come back soon, my friends.
    Last edited by Spidercanrana; 11-03-2018 at 02:56 AM. Reason: hint hint hint hint

Stop by Spidey's Snack Shack and get yourself a bite!

Thread Information