Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Changes or Requests

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a picture of the >> << arrows to hide the new posts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There's a >> symbol to the right, click that and it vanishes.
    Great point Lee, not sure why I didn't think to say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Been happening to me all the time. I think it's to do with the auto save option.
    It is...if it is annoying enough, I can look into it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Great point Lee, not sure why I didn't think to say that.

It is...if it is annoying enough, I can look into it.
    It is kind of annoying, but I think I like the potential safety of the auto save feature more than my dislike of the text sticking around. It has really only been an issue in LDs, so I'm not that concerned over it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sly, if you're looking for a slew of useful little plugins, check out the work of Valter over at vbulletin.org: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/member.php?u=108756

I use multiple of his plugins for my Rangers' forum. Sub-forum manager, Moderating Stats, Auto Birthday Greeter, Attention Zero-Posters, Advanced Registration, Advanced Forum Statistics, and Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count are all personal favorites.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Also, I know you mentioned not wanting to pay for a new theme, but for the money ($28), Primus is a well-designed, well-functioning template with five solid/fluid versions: https://themeforest.net/item/primus-...21272?s_rank=7

I think you'd particularly enjoy the black and white version given the "Steel Cage" theme and all. You can check out a live demo above.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youâ??re a good loser, youâ??re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure what is the best place to post thus, but out of curiosity, what skills and programming languages do you need/use to create and maintain a forum like this?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You don't need to know any of them. But having a rudimentary understanding of basic HTML/CSS and some understanding of PHP would definitely help.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youâ??re a good loser, youâ??re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
    Sly, if you're looking for a slew of useful little plugins, check out the work of Valter over at vbulletin.org: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/member.php?u=108756

I use multiple of his plugins for my Rangers' forum. Sub-forum manager, Moderating Stats, Auto Birthday Greeter, Attention Zero-Posters, Advanced Registration, Advanced Forum Statistics, and Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count are all personal favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
    Also, I know you mentioned not wanting to pay for a new theme, but for the money ($28), Primus is a well-designed, well-functioning template with five solid/fluid versions: https://themeforest.net/item/primus-...21272?s_rank=7

I think you'd particularly enjoy the black and white version given the "Steel Cage" theme and all. You can check out a live demo above.
    I'll check those things out. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SD619 View Post
    Not sure what is the best place to post thus, but out of curiosity, what skills and programming languages do you need/use to create and maintain a forum like this?
    It depends on what you mean. If you're wanting to know how to create a forum like vBulletin forums, there's several languages you'd need to know (HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, etc.). If you mean to set one up and maintain them, then you don't HAVE to know any, but having some understanding of those languages is extremely beneficial to be able to do any meaningful technical assistance.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know next to nothing about technology and I could run the majority of a forum like this on my own. However, the big stuff, like installing those mods that Sly has done, would likely be way over my head without someone walking me through it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    I know next to nothing about technology and I could run the majority of a forum like this on my own. However, the big stuff, like installing those mods that Sly has done, would likely be way over my head without someone walking me through it.
    Honestly, things like mods are not super difficult. You just need to make sure you run backups before you install them.

The more difficult part would be if you actually needed to utilize the backups because something went wrong...

Thread Information