Thread: WWE Elite?

WWE Elite?

There are some reports going around suggesting that WWE MIGHT be courting, interested in courting or about to court the reigning IWGP Heavyweight and Tag Team Champions Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks.

This stems from WWE giving the Elite a lot of promotion this week due to their Street Fighter showdown Thursday against New Day at the E3 Expo and from WWE putting up a 2006 Kenny Omega match from Deep South Wrestling on the WWE Network. Supposedly, the Bucks contract expires sometime later this year while Omega's current deal with New Japan is set to expire in January.

If WWE was operating without Vince McMahon making the final creative decisions, I think this is something that might have some reasonable chance of happening. Unless Omega and the Bucks are bullshitting, then New Japan basically gives them carte blanche when it comes to their own creativity and that's something that does not happen in WWE. There are stars who have a great deal of creative input into what goes down with them but, so far as I know, not even John Cena has complete control. While I'm sure a substantial increase in money would be required as well, I have a feeling that having significant say in their own creative direction would be the most important factor because you know, you just absolutely know, that they won't want to risk finding themselves involved in stuff like dance offs, being generic, smiling babyfaces like Lashley or being involved in segments like we've seen with Lashley & Zayn.

It wouldn't be standard operating procedure to give them major influence over their own creative direction with them having spent years with the company but the simple truth is that Omega and the Bucks are a special case. They're one of the very small handfuls of American talent who've been making really good money without having anything whatsoever to do with WWE, they're doing just fine and have been doing just fine these past years working for New Japan and simply expecting them to fall in line as 99% of most other wrestlers would just isn't really feasible.

Signing either or both of these acts would be a major coup for WWE. Like 'em or not, they're the most talked about non WWE wrestlers out there. I haven't been a fan of the Bucks but they've actually been wrestling quite a bit this year, and by "wrestling" I mean actually using psychology, telling a story, selling and not having generic spotfests all the time. Kenny Omega has been the single most talked about singles wrestler outside of WWE for most of the last couple of years and he's highly, highly devoted to new Japan, plus he has a deep and abiding love for pretty much all things Japanese. Just days ago, Omega accomplished a dream of winning the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and while I may be wrong, I don't see New Japan putting the title on him if they weren't pretty confident that he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WWE can't even find time to feature Almas/Zelina, AOP, Sanity, or any of the tag division quite frankly.

What does it say about WWE that if they sign the biggest wrestling names in the World, you hope and pray that they end up in WWE's developmental system?

Imagine WWE signing Sting in the mid-90's and you're like, "Damn, I hope he goes to Smokey Mountain Wrestling for a couple of years before heading to Monday Night Raw!" How ridiculous does that sound?

Personally, with how WWE is right now, I hope the Young Bucks and Omega don't sign. And this is coming from someone who was sorely disappointed the Bucks and Omega didn't go to WWE back in 2014 or 2015 when they were free agents. Now though, I have zero faith in WWE using them to their full capabilities, and I even fear that WWE would hardly use them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jmt225 View Post
    WWE can't even find time to feature Almas/Zelina, AOP, Sanity, or any of the tag division quite frankly.

What does it say about WWE that if they sign the biggest wrestling names in the World, you hope and pray that they end up in WWE's developmental system?

Imagine WWE signing Sting in the mid-90's and you're like, "Damn, I hope he goes to Smokey Mountain Wrestling for a couple of years before heading to Monday Night Raw!" How ridiculous does that sound?

Personally, with how WWE is right now, I hope the Young Bucks and Omega don't sign. And this is coming from someone who was sorely disappointed the Bucks and Omega didn't go to WWE back in 2014 or 2015 when they were free agents. Now though, I have zero faith in WWE using them to their full capabilities, and I even fear that WWE would hardly use them at all.
    It's understandable. We've also seen a rise in some of the more cringe worthy aspects of Vince's vision of "sports entertainment" over the past few weeks. We've seen the truly cringe worthy stuff that Sami Zany and Bobby Lashley have had to do and we've seen the first dance off on WWE television in quite a few years. I genuinely believe that Vince finds this stuff entertaining, which means there's a chance it'll be featured more often, because he'll lie to himself and say that it's for the fans and that they love it.

I'm not saying that there'd never be problems with Triple H being in charge or that he'd always make the right calls, nobody's perfect after all, but it's easy to see why so many people would prefer to see them go to NXT. You look at NXT, how it's laid out, how the wrestlers are portrayed, how important continuity is, how all sorts of little details are put into place, a distinct lack of cornball humor and you say to yourself "Why the hell can't the main roster be like this?" The sad truth is that it can: the main roster doesn't have to feature women constantly behaving catty towards each other, the format could be easily tweaked to where most Raw and SmackDown wrestlers come off as being in competition with each other rather than actors playing parts in TV shows, they don't have to have multiple 20+ minute promo segments for each and every single show, they don't have to use pancakes as a motivating factor for why the wrestlers "fight" with each other, etc.. NXT also only has a single hour each week, yet look how much it accomplishes in that single hour. Everything that happens during that hour has a reason for happening other than filling time. In NXT, you know that people like Omega and the Bucks would be used to their fullest and a lot of that is due to what seem to be two stark differences in visions between Vince and Triple H.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

5. Likes jmt225, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Even if they did somehow garner The Elite's attention, there's just not enough space on the roster right now. They can't get AOP, Sanity and quite a lot of wrestlers on TV, so what makes you think they'd have room for them.

What i'm surprised hasn't happened yet is the roster spring cleaning, there are so many bodies that have no further business being here that would better be served now that new people are coming in.

If The Elite does come to WWE at some point, it should be as a one time deal only. Maybe on PPV, but they should definitely be on NXT. Can you imagine The Undisputed Era vs The Elite headlining a NXT Takeover? WWE would be printing money with that match alone.

7. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Everyone said the same shit about AJ Styles and look how thats turned out

9. Likes Wildcat66, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I actually hope that the Elite and Jericho pave the way for more WWE stars to go to NJPW, not the other way around. After losing Styles and Nakamura, NJPW can't afford to lose Omega and the Young Bucks. They are the reason more eyes are starting to give them attention and they are hoping to expand to the United States and Omega will play a cruacial role to that. I doubt that Omega will leave his throne for a chance to be one of the many top stars in either RAW or SD, if that will happen. It's not the same as AJ Styles. NJPW never planned to use AJ in such a big role back then, like they are planning to use Omega now. Quite frankly I think it won't be long before Gallows and Anderson return to NJPW and who knows who else might follow them there.

11. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If WWE sees value in someone, they'll find a way to feature them. Reporedly AOP was brought up w/ WWE having no idea what to do w/ them.
    If you ever attended a WWE live event (house shows and PPVs) which wrestler(s) did you buy a ticket to see? https://forms.gle/d5uh8iifDbfDBdDd8

Thread Information