Thread: New WWE Supershow Announced For Australia

New WWE Supershow Announced For Australia

It looks like WWE is going to embark upon another major supershow type card to be held on foreign soil, though Australia is certainly far less foreign in the minds of most of us than Saudi Arabia. WWE's toured Australia many times, though this may well be the biggest show it's ever produced in the Land Down Under.

Vince McMahon announced that the event, called WWE Super Show-Down, will be held in Melbourne at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds on Saturday, October 6th and will include appearances by John Cena, Ronda Rousey and "virtually every Superstar from Monday Night Raw and SmackDown Live." Also included will be WWE legends such as Shawn Michaels, Big Show and Kurt Angle and, thus far, the only named bout is the Undertaker vs. Triple H. Vince hyped Taker vs. Trips "will compete against each other for the very last time, ending an iconic era in WWE." The Melbourne Cricket Grounds is a big stadium, with the largest crowd in venue history coming last year at the AFL finals with a total of 100,021 fans, so you know that WWE is going to try to stack the card to sell as many tickets as possible. One thing the announcement didn't mention, however, is whether or not the event will be aired on the WWE Network like the Greatest Royal Rumble.

The GRR, in terms of overall quality, in my opinion, was basically a glorified house show and I don't know that this will be any different. If it's going to be aired on the WWE Network, then I'd hope for more to justify the constant overhyping of the show that we're likely to see that was similar to the GRR hype. As it's set to take place on October 6th, this puts it after Hell in a Cell, which takes place on September 16th and TLC on October 21. One advantage is the atmosphere will be vastly lighter as there's not going to be the controversy of no women being on the card, as was the case with the GRR, and Australia is part of Western culture so there won't be the barrage of social taboos to be avoided. The crowd itself will be livelier as well as, again, Australia is a vastly more open and progressive society than Saudi Arabia. Taker vs. Triple H will draw a lot of attention and will help sell tickets, but don't expect some 20+ minute epic clash between two legends as I doubt Taker could handle it. It'll be over in about 5 minutes, at the most, with Taker, at least, hitting all his signature spots before winnig via the Tombstone.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Glorified house show but with out the weird political and propaganda aspects that came with the Saudi show.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Live on the network. WWE's first live broadcast from australia. I'll be there, they could easily get over 100,000 people in the seats already there, plus another 50,000 (at least) on the actual ground

6. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm actually surprised that WWE haven't tried to have a major show in China yet. It would be a much better choice than Saudi Arabia, that's for sure. And I'm happy for the Aussies getting this, even if it won't be all that much.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

8. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    I'm actually surprised that WWE haven't tried to have a major show in China yet. It would be a much better choice than Saudi Arabia, that's for sure. And I'm happy for the Aussies getting this, even if it won't be all that much.
    Essentially anything WWE has going in China needs to be co-produced and coordinated by the Chinese government. That also means they have to market the show and run it based on their specifications and their approval, which is likely going to have tighter (though not necessarily stricter) controls than the Saudi situation. You throw in the fact the Chinese government aren't throwing money at WWE like the Saudi's did, the time difference and the likely low profile of WWE in China (they only did their first shows there last year) and its a non-starter at the moment.

As for this show, it's all a part of the world domination thing really, isn't it? WWE are finally doing the global expansion they always envisioned and part of that is going to be in cohesion with government plans to expand the profiles of specific country's. While they cater to the recurring, hardcore and casual fanbase's in Europe (UK brand, twice a year European tours with tapings in the UK) they seek to expand their empire in lesser tapped markets, making inroads. That's why they went after India last year with Jinder for example. I'd imagine Brazil would be on their radar as a mass populace country with a genuine enthusiasm for combat sports and by extension, pro wrestling (just maybe don't have Chris Jericho near the flag, eh?).

It's also the reason why Mexico and Japan aren't being pushed into so heavily, in spite of the fact they're obviously hotbeds; their markets are already saturated with accessible mainstream(ish) products in lucha libre and NJPW, and the 'E wouldn't outright dominate the market or likely recieve the financial support or encouragement of the government or other powerful promoter's (ala the Australia case).

10. Likes Fallout, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What's the over/under on them cracking a joke about Australia's culture?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maybe Australia will cheer Roman when he faces Brock Lesnar AGAIN

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information