Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: NXT TakeOver Chicago LD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Valjean View Post
    Hell in a Cell. Bring it to NXT for the first time.
    Also my thought... but would they do it with the HIAC PPV just two months after it?

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shafe_41 View Post
    Also my thought... but would they do it with the HIAC PPV just two months after it?
    It's NXT. They can pretty do what they want since it exists in a parallel dimension to the main roster.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Valjean View Post
    It's NXT. They can pretty do what they want since it exists in a parallel dimension to the main roster.
    They need to get rid of the damn PPV is what needs to happen. Although I guess it could work because it's happening before the HIAC PPV.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Takeover: Chicago II
    Date: June 16, 2018
    Commentators: Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness, Percy Watson

It’s time for a sequel and that means things might not be quite as good as it was before. However, the card looks very strong here with all five matches having the potential to steal the show. The main event will likely be Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano II in a street fight, which is completely different than an unsanctioned match. Let’s get to it.

Click on the link below for the full review.

Smile Darn Ya Smile

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    Dang it WWE don't make me regret not making the drive up to Chicago.
    Hmmm...

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This was the first NXT show I've ever seen live, and DANG WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW!

Seriously why don't I watch NXT? I have no idea, but I'm very excited for this week's show. Like the most excited I've been for any professional wrestling event since I was maybe 7 years old.

Undisputed Era vs Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan - This was only 4.25 stars. It's better than anything I've seen on the main roster this year and yet the third best match of this show.

Ricochet vs Velveteen Dream - 4.5 stars. Another great match and great storytelling. Ricochet may be a star on the main roster, but Dream should be even bigger. Unfortunately I don't see him going anywhere with that gimmick, which is truly a shame.

Shayna Baszler vs Nikki Cross - 3.5 stars. Fine match. Baszler is a great heel. As KB says, if this is the worst match, you've got an excellent show.

Aleister Black vs Lars Sullivan - 4 stars. I'm running out of different ways to say this was a great match, so I'll just say this was a great match.

Tommaso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano - 5 stars. Yep this worked. It's the best match I've ever seen and incredible storytelling, which you NEVER get on the main roster. Just incredible stuff and I'm super excited to see where this goes next.

Overall - 5 stars - Again what more can you say? This was incredible and the best show I've ever seen. I don't know if it's better than Dallas or New Orleans, but it's up there.

12. Likes smarkmouth, Jack-Hammer, jmt225 liked this post
    So yeah, NXT knocked it out of the park again. It gets sort of redundant constantly singing the praises of the brand but it's not like there's really all that much choice. From top to bottom, when you take everything into consideration, NXT MIGHT simply be the best thing in pro wrestling.

The NXT Tag Team Championship match was the bout I figured would be the weakest on the card, with "weakest" being a relative term considering that this is an NXT TakeOver event. Hard hitting action, the crowd on fire and possibly a breakout night for Lorcan and Burch. The Undisputed Era retaining was the right call since as fun as Oney and Danny are, they don't have the built up credibility to be the next champs. My guess is that honor goes to the War Raiders in Brooklyn. ****

Ricochet vs. the Velveteen Dream was exactly what I was hoping in that we'd get another classic bout featuring Dream. The action was there, the storytelling was there, the psychology and the chemistry all equaled a helluva match. It's so easy to forget how young Dream is in the business because the kid's a master storyteller in the ring already. Ricochet also showed that he can do more than just the flips, though his athletic high spots are still his bread and butter, and he continues to evolve into a more well rounded performer. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if Dream had won, but I didn't see it happening as this was Ricochet's first singles match at a major show. To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see Dream's feud with Aleister Black started up again as Dream could be a really fun heel NXT Champion. ****1/2

Shayna Baszler vs. Nikki Cross for the NXT Women's Championship turned out to be the "weakest" match on the card, but it was still a very good outing for the ladies that told a different story. Nikki Cross and her antics were the highlight of the match and she performed well against Baszler. Baszler's a really good heel already, she's playing to her strengths and it all comes across as very organic in that she's not trying to be something or someone that she can't pull off or just doesn't suit her. For instance, she's not primping in front of mirrors and taking selfies while in revealing outfits, she's not trading catty insults with the other women while the fans are expected to view such shit as intensity. Again, no real doubt that Shayna would retain but that works just fine. ***1/2

Aleister Black vs. Lars Sullivan was a hard hitting, very physical affair just as I'd hoped it'd be. The story was simple and effective in that each man happened to be the biggest challenge the other had yet faced in singles competition with Black coming off as the most vulnerable he's ever been. I was worried that Sullivan might not be able to pull off a 15 minute match, that he was only good in short bursts, but he looked quite good against Black. Black came off as the hard fighting, tenacious champion going up against the monster who looked to be able to block and/or withstand his biggest gun. The Black Mass botch was unfortunate, but shit happens and it's not like it detracted from the match. Black retains and Sullivan suffers his first singles loss. ****

Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa in a street fight was...well it just had it all, much like their classic in New Orleans. The action, storytelling, psychology, chemistry was all just a perfect storm that, again, came together. Their first clash in New Orleans was about Gargano achieving a measure of revenge in a way that could have ended the feud then and there. This one was Gargano still seeking revenge but to a degree in which he found himself pushed into a place where maybe he doesn't "belong", pushed into performing acts that don't jibe with who "Johnny Wrestling" is. Gargano snapped when it finally hits that Ciampa removed his "wedding ring" and tossed it into the crowd and that disdain just pushed Gargano over the edge and he unloaded on Ciampa and the various trainers and medics. The DDT spot at the end looked sick and played into the story of Gargano being so desperate for revenge against all the new outrages that'd been brought against him that he was careless. The fact that Ciampa tapped several times, only with no referee, protected him just fine and sets up the rubber match. *****

NXT TakeOver: Chicago II was another outstanding show, as I think we all expected it to be. From top to bottom, I don't think it was quite on the same level as New Orleans because all of the title matches, while very good to great, came off more as holdover matches to me. I don't think any of the titles will be in real jeopardy until the Brooklyn III during SummerSlam weekend. TakeOver: Chicago is more of the "B show" of the TakeOver events, if you can believe it considering how good the show is. It's definitely a show worth checking out. The highlights of the night were Ricochet vs. Dream and Gargano vs. Ciampa II though, again, there wasn't a weak match on the card. It's another A+ TakeOver.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

14. Likes jmt225, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So, genuine question...is NXT really as good as people make it out to be or is it a case where it just has that smaller promotion feel?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    So, genuine question...is NXT really as good as people make it out to be or is it a case where it just has that smaller promotion feel?
    Every single Takeover for the last four years has been better than the PPV the night after it. That should say something. NXT doesn't handcuff the talent. They let their talent go out and tell a story.

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It really is that good, but NXT is often a place where a lot of the great stuff is in the journey. For instance, the Gargano vs. Ciampa match is very good on its own, but it's taken to another level when you've waited to see them get their hands on each other for ten months. The promotion has the talent and treat it like an old school promotion without a lot of the annoying things about WWE.

But yeah, it really is that good.

Thread Information