Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Extreme Rules LD

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Extreme Rules 2018
    Date: July 15, 2018
    Commentators: Tom Phillips, Corey Graves, Byron Saxton, Michael Cole, Jonathan Coachman

It’s the extreme pay per view that forgot its extreme. Tonight’s show features ten matches and only a handful have any kind of gimmick attached, including the likely main event of the completely standard Roman Reigns vs. Bobby Lashley. WWE hasn’t done much to make the show feel special but maybe they’ll surprise me. Let’s get to it.

Click on the link below for the full review.

Extremely Annoying People

2. Likes jmt225, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Valjean View Post
    How come? Sure, it was over a decade ago but he was still 3-1. Didn't he break a dude's arm too? Unless I'm confusing Nak with someone else.
    He fought cans, and at the time, Japanese mma was about as legit as pro wrestling.

If they'd have the main card down to about 6 or 7 matches and given a few matches more time, Extreme Rules would've been a solid show overall. On the kickoff show, Almas vs. Sin Cara wasn't really necessary as, generally speaking, they didn't really do much more than they did on their SD Live match and could've continued there. This would've given the tables match between New Day and SAnitY more time as 8.5 minutes is really too short for a Tables Match. Balor vs. Corbin didn't need to be on a ppv at all, neither did the Raw Tag Team Championship match when you get and they could have done the angle with the United States Championship regarding Nakamura, Hardy & Orton on SmackDown Live. Any or every little thing regarding a championship doesn't have to happen at a ppv, even matches sometimes as there are other things going on that need and deserve more attention and time on a show.

Both women's matches were pretty terrible. Asuka has been made to look like a fool against Carmella and James Ellsworth of all people. Carmella isn't remotely in Asuka's league and all these cheap ways of having her retain aren't helping her come off as a legit champion. The Raw Women's Championship match was little more than an angle for Ronda Rousey and the match itself was pretty terrible. Alexa's offense against Nia looked awful, especially when she was using a weapon it looked so incredibly fake and Nia really wasn't much better, but Alexa especially was way too far out of her comfort zone here. Rousey's interference was predictable and the live crowd ate it up, so the overall thing succeeded because of that and at least Alexa retained the title.

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens, like much of the rest of their program, was just plain weird and I don't see how it accomplished anything other than giving Vince McMahon some cheap laughs, though that in and of itself may be all that's required as it's Vince McMahon after all. Strowman came off looking like an asshole bully picking on Kevin Owens throughout the feud. I will say that I'm glad they did keep up some continuity to some degree regarding Strowman and the handcuffs. I think it took a little too long for him to get out of them, but at least he did as this is the guy who's flipped over ambulances and eighteen wheelers. The end spot with Owens beign tossed off top of the case was a cool looking spot and it ultimately gave Owens the win but...again...what was the point? I hope they're moving each of them on as this is just damaging both men to some degree.

The SD Tag Team Championship match was solid overall, but ultimately disappointing in terms of ending and leaves questions as to what's going to happen with Bryan now. Miz didn't do anything to interfere and there are rumors that Bryan still hasn't signed with the company, but worst of all is Bryan getting pinned yet again even though Kane was the injured one. There are reports also that Kane was legitimately injured and that he showed up to the event wearing the boot we saw him use last night. Still, Kane should've been the one to get pinned in my eyes.

Reigns vs. Lashley was a good 3.25 star match and if it ties in with the Universal Championship angle on Raw tonight, then at least something worthwhile came out of it. I had a feeling Reigns was going to lose from the moment I saw him smiling that cocky smile when he had Lashley in the reverse chin lock. At various points, Reigns acted all cocky and you just had the feeling he was setting himself up to lose, which is what happened and it happened via eating his own finisher. I honestly and truly hope that Angle doesn't make some sort of #1 contender's match for the two on Raw tonight as it'd be nothing more than a completely transparent angle to give Reigns his win back and give him another shot at Brock Lesnar, which is something that I don't think most of us care to see again.

AJ Styles vs. Rusev was a really fun match with some good action, good storytelling and a few believable near falls here and there. Nobody expected Rusev to win here, so what had to happen was the two men simply giving us an entertaining match. I also liked the protection given to Rusev during the match in order to give the impression that maybe he could've made Styles tap had he been able to successfully lock in the Accolade, only to be kept from doing so due to an "injured" left leg sustained during the match.

The Intercontinental Championship Iron Man match was a very fun outing, though I personally don't like the matches having so many falls, especially when they're only out there for 30 minutes. I just think it takes away a lot of the "epic" that's supposed to be there for these kinds of matches. This was the best match of the night overall, however, and I had no problem with it main eventing the show. One reason why I thought it was main eventing would be because they were gonna do some sort of angle where McIntyre turns on Ziggler but that didn't happen. I really hope they do something soon as McIntyre is much, much too good to be Dolph Ziggler's heavy and it's just a waste of talent.

Very little about Extreme Rules felt Extreme and it's a concept that I think should be dropped. There are rumors that WWE might be overhauling a lot of their ppv and names, which could be welcome as ER needs to go due to a distinct lack of hardcore brutality. I have to say that, overall, the summer of 2018 has been one of the weakest post WrestleMania seasons I can recall. Few things just seem to be clicking, bizarre booking choices are being made and the fact that the Raw main event champion is MIA for months at a time leaves a pretty big hole on Monday nights.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

5. Likes jmt225, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The two tag titles matches and Balor vs Corbin could have been on TV.

Someone send Asuka and the other talented women some hair dye. Maybe then WWE will care about them.

Nakamura vs Hardy was short. They should have cut the first two matches and gave this match the time.

Kevin Owens of all people is a sympathetic babyface. That's actually pretty impressive.

Lashley vs Reigns was good. Lesnar vs Lashley should be good, assuming it happens.

Styles vs Rusev was the MOTN. Bryan or Joe can be the next challenger.

Awful crowd and too many pinfalls aside, Ziggler vs Rollins was good. I still don't see why it main evented though.

Overall Rating (D) - Styles/Rusev, Ziggler/Rollins, and Lashley/Reigns were good matches, but everything else was horrible. Ultimately it's a show that could have not existed, and nothing would have changed. Pair that with illogical and nonexistent stories, boring characters, and questionable booking, and you have a bad show. Hopefully SummerSlam is better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

7. Likes jmt225, Jack-Hammer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    ^ D sounds about right. Hopefully SummerSlam will be better!
    Last edited by #AbsoluteUnit; 07-16-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information