Thread: ROH hoping to sign CM Punk?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ROH hoping to sign CM Punk?

http://wrestlingnews.co/roh-news/rin...-sign-cm-punk/

According to Dave Meltzer, ROH is looking to sign CM Punk to appear at the All In event.

For those who don't know, All In is a wrestling show created by Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks in response to Meltzer claiming a ROH show couldn't draw 10,000 fans. The event is happening on September 1, 2018 in Chicago and will feature several big names such as Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Kazuchika Okada, Jay Lethal, Marty Scurll, Rey Mysterio, Kenny Omega, and actor Stephen Amell. The event has already sold out and is the first non-WWE show to sell 10,000 tickets in the US since 1993.

Punk retired from wrestling after his walkout from WWE in 2014. He hasn't expressed a desire to return and seems to be happy with his decision. He would still be a big draw, but if it's just a one-off, I don't really see the point.

If you were ROH, would you sign Punk, even if it's just one night?

2. Likes smarkmouth, Jack-Hammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    http://wrestlingnews.co/roh-news/rin...-sign-cm-punk/

According to Dave Meltzer, ROH is looking to sign CM Punk to appear at the All In event.

For those who don't know, All In is a wrestling show created by Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks in response to Meltzer claiming a ROH show couldn't draw 10,000 fans. The event is happening on September 1, 2018 in Chicago and will feature several big names such as Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Kazuchika Okada, Jay Lethal, Marty Scurll, Rey Mysterio, Kenny Omega, and actor Stephen Amell. The event has already sold out and is the first non-WWE show to sell 10,000 tickets in the US since 1993.

Punk retired from wrestling after his walkout from WWE in 2014. He hasn't expressed a desire to return and seems to be happy with his decision. He would still be a big draw, but if it's just a one-off, I don't really see the point.

If you were ROH, would you sign Punk, even if it's just one night?
    Well, just a slight correction in that this may be the first non WWE or non WCW show in the United States to sell 10,000 tickets. Dave Meltzer has tried to essentially add any sort of asterisk to the accomplishment because Cody & the Bucks showed him up when he said that they couldn't do it, but it's an accomplishment to be proud of.

As far as Punk goes, "Cult of Personality" hitting and then Punk walking out at the end of the night to do nothing but just pose in the ring and drink in the adulation would cap off what I already know some are already going to start calling the most epic night in the history of wrestling. It'll probably be a good show but, like I said, you're going to have some fans that'll label this as an epic among epics and while I don't see that happening, Punk making an appearance would only solidify the night for them.

As to would I sign him even for just one night, the answer is probably not. The tickets are already sold, the money is already paid so why go to the additional expense of bringing in CM Punk as a surprise for just a brief, one night only appearance? As I said, it'd be a very fun moment and something that a lot of people would remember but, then again, so what? If Cody and the Bucks have organized a good show, then that's all that's necessary.

If Punk ever signed with anyone else, it'd probably be either ROH or New Japan, which would ultimately lead to him working dates in both organizations at some point considering their working relationship. I think Ring of Honor would be easier for Punk, with Punk making appearances at the bigger New Japan shows like possibly Wrestle Kingdom and a couple of others, as it'd be easier on his body. Punk's almost 40 years old, his body's all beaten up, he's not what he once was and I'm sure that Ring of Honor would be willing to sign him to a nice, cushy deal where he makes a decent paycheck and works a limited schedule. If New Japan did sign him, I think that he'd work very, very, very few dates, something more along the lines of Jericho, would pretty much pick & choose what sort of moves he'd be willing to take, make a nice payday and would probably only want to work with specific guys. For instance, Punk could go against Kenny Omega, Uncle Dave could award the match 11 stars, with the 11th star just being for a little extra credit like a teacher giving you a smiley face sticker, anti-WWE fans could behave as though they won some sort of major victory over the big machine, etc..
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't care about what Meltz says, thinks, or hears. Anyway, I can't imagine Punk back in a professional wrestling ring so soon. Even if it's not a match.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Honestly I could see him being a commentator for them. ROH was the first major company he worked for so he probably has fond memories of being there. It seems all of his distaste of wrestling comes from WWE so there's a possibility of him going to ROH in a non wrestling capacity.

Wouldn't hold my breath for it though

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information