Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smackdown LD - August 7, 2018

Holy crap, what the hell happened tonight? Overall, tonight may have been the best 2 hours the main roster has put together in the last 4 or 5 months.

The promos on tonight's show were great. The Randy Orton we've seen over the course of the last month is someone we haven't seen in years and it's a shame because Orton's at his best when he's in full blown sociopath mode. He's not trying to be a "cool heel", he's not doing anything to get fans to cheer for him and if fans do, then it's on them and not on Orton because he's doing a superb job right now. I was especially glad to see that Styles was able to deliver an intense, meaningful promo that had everyone in the crowd listening and that he wasn't interrupted. He didn't linger about, he got right to the point, said what needed to be said and go tout of there. The stuff with Bryan & Miz was a lot of fun, it's especially fun seeing Miz display that intensity where he comes off so angry that he's practically grinding his teeth together while trying to speak. Bryan didn't need to say anything as the fact that he "tracked" Miz down "on the set" of his reality show and beat the piss out of Miz says that Bryan's frustrated and angry over Miz's shuck and jive and Miz escaping via a vase to the head was a nice touch.

As for the wrestling action, a bit of a mixed bag. The women's tag team match was okay for what it was, but the overall point was to put Charlotte in the spotlight and tease potential tension between her and Becky. Lana vs. Zelina wasn't exactly a classic but Lana has actually improved. She couldn't do be any worse than she was but the point was to keep teasing friction with Rusev Day. Nakamura vs. Truth was what it needed to be with Truth getting in some entertaining offense for a bit before Nakamura destroyed him. The main event between the Bar and the New Day was fantastic, the best match we've seen on SmackDown or Raw in several months. I expected a classic outing as these teams work really well together and they delivered a strong 4.5 star outing. The New Day winning wasn't any sort of surprise, it only really makes sense given that the BBs are heels, but that didn't hurt the match. There was more than enough action and drama to keep people waiting to see what would happen next.

Tonight's SD Live was, in many ways, more like an episode of NXT. The promo work was decidedly crisper as the segments didn't drag out needlessly and they all delivered, they continued the build to SummerSlam, allowed storylines to progress via a few matches and finished off with a super strong match to close the show.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just wanted to pop in and say as I watch Smackdown PVR'd, that I feel this first hour of Smackdown progressed more stories than the past two weeks of Raw. I swear you could give me a roster full of Ezekiel Jackson's and a great writing team and I'd be a happy wrestling fan.

3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information