Page 88 of 236 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: KB Answers Wrestling Questions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    Absolutely. WWE is getting a BILLION dollars to go on broadcast television later this year. AEW isn't running their first show until nearly two months after Wrestlemania. As of now they have no TV and a bunch of old guys (Jericho and Daniels are both 48), the Young Bucks, Cody (who has never broken out to that next level) and a bunch of people without Wikipedia pages. Oh wait but they might get Tye Dillinger and Mike Kanellis.

Here's the thing: this is WWE's world. Do you think Vince McMahon, who just spent $100 million on a football league, wouldn't drop $250 million to run these people off in a hurry? We don't even know if AEW wants to take on WWE or be the new Ring of Honor. They announced the company 17 days ago. I think it's ok to calm way, way down, no matter how much these "wrestling fans" hate WWE, for whatever reason.
    What do you think of the report that WWE is telling independent talent they are interested in they will double any contract they are offered by other companies if they bring them proof of the deal?

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    What do you think of the report that WWE is telling independent talent they are interested in they will double any contract they are offered by other companies if they bring them proof of the deal?
    That it validates what I've been thinking: WWE might not be able to get Cody and the Young Bucks (still a great band name) but they can take away so many more talents that it's hard for AEW to put out a full show. WWE has more money than they know what to do with and while it's not as much as Khan, they have an income from their business that is going to keep them ahead in any financial race.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know it probably has something to do with AEW but surely if the NWA kept the heavyweight title on Cody that would have given them more visibility than putting it back on Nick Aldis

Check Out The Optional Sidequest Podcast. (Please)

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I know it probably has something to do with AEW but surely if the NWA kept the heavyweight title on Cody that would have given them more visibility than putting it back on Nick Aldis
    I don't think Cody wanted it and AEW shouldn't either. THe NWA World Title is an indy title right now and something that doesn't have a great reputation. AEW wants to be cutting edge and the NWA World Title isn't going to do them any favors.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't think Cody wanted it and AEW shouldn't either. THe NWA World Title is an indy title right now and something that doesn't have a great reputation. AEW wants to be cutting edge and the NWA World Title isn't going to do them any favors.
    So when did the NWA title become a glorified indy belt. I know they dropped off after severing ties with WCW and ECW but they seemed to be coming back with the partnership with TNA, but that soon went. It seems whenever they have a chance at relevance again it seems to get messed up

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    So when did the NWA title become a glorified indy belt. I know they dropped off after severing ties with WCW and ECW but they seemed to be coming back with the partnership with TNA, but that soon went. It seems whenever they have a chance at relevance again it seems to get messed up
    The NWA World Title, being realistic at least, died when WCW introduced their own World Title in February 1991. The history of the whole thing is REALLY complicated but basically for awhile, the NWA World Title and WCW World Title were pretty much the same thing but represented by one belt. WCW left the NWA in 1993, setting up the ECW deal where Shane Douglas threw down the belt. It was an indy title at that point before TNA breathed some life into it in 2002. Since 2007 though, it's been completely an indy title and nothing else. They had one rather good story with Cabana vs. Pearce in the 7 Levels of Hate and then managed to botch that all over again. Cody and All In was the first tme in years that it's meant anything.

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you read Aubrey Sitterson & Chris Moreno's "The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling"? Just picked it up and blazing right through it, myself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I haven't but I've heard good things.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm going to go on a limb and say $2000 isn't happening so Gary Hart's book isn't an option.

For non-wrestling personnel, anything by Tim Hornbaker. He's one of the best wrestling historians I've ever seen and has written three books: one on the NWA, one on the Capitol Wrestling Corporation and one on the Death of the Territories. Outstanding stuff with some of the most detailed looks at any promotions I've ever seen. If you want history that is entertaining but not the most unbiased (to put it mildly), the Death of WCW (though there are some factual errors). For a specific promotion, Heath McCoy's Pain and Passion is an outstanding one on Stampede Wrestling.

For wrestling personnel, Foley's first book (Have A Nice Day) is pretty much the gold standard. Bret Hart's book is great, as are Chris Jericho's. I was fascinated by AJ Lee's book, though it gets very rough when she's talking about her mental health issues and it's written in a very quirky style. Finally, if you can sit through it, William Regal's is incredible but he goes into the most details I've ever seen about drug abuse and it's honestly hard to take.

The worst ones for me are Goldust (I read it in a few hours and got very little out of it) and Jimmy Snuka's (Which is just....I'm not sure how to put it. It's short and a chunk of it is a glossary of his own lingo.). Roddy Piper's is the definition of full of himself and I was rolling my eyes more every page. Brock Lesnar's isn't worth your time either.

Let me know what you pick or what you're considering.
    I'll be sure to check out Hornbaker's work once I get around to it. Would be great to learn more on the territorial days for sure.

I was going to say I already have Foley's book, but just wanted to see if you come around to mention (as it is indeed one of the first wrestling books anyone should get). I didn't know about Regal having a book, but now that I know of it I will sure be picking it up. As it will be interesting to read about his drug issues when you to take into consideration that WWE helped publish the book, so will indeed be a nice one to get.

As far as what I decided to pick up, I went ahead and got one Jericho's books (Undisputed). I've always he has written many great books and they are almost always great material, so I will check this one out first. Another I decided to pick up was Shawn Michaels' second book (Wrestling For My Life) as I heard the first nook he wrote just glossed over some stuff while this one isn't necessarily about backstage politics, but rather how he overcame his battles with addictions and his bad behavior. And the way you helped described AJ Lee's book convinced me in getting it as well. I want to kind of know a little about how she dealt with those issues and the way she wrote the book sounds fun.

I also have Daniel Bryan's book (Yes!), I don't know if you gotten a chance to read it because it is quite a good read. It really helps you know how much of a humble person Bryan truly is and how hardcore his love for wrestling is. There's also one funny bit Sheamus does the ruins Bryan and Brie's night.

The one book I'm also considering getting is J.R.'s book (Slobberknocker) since I've heard mixed reviews on it. If you had any feedback on it that would be nice.
    The Day Wrestling Got Too Real

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can definitely vouch for klunder's opinion on Hornbaker's Capitol Revolution. Been meaning to read the NWA book.
    If you ever attended a WWE live event (house shows and PPVs) which wrestler(s) did you buy a ticket to see? https://forms.gle/d5uh8iifDbfDBdDd8

Thread Information