Thread: Let's talk about Shield 3.0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's talk about Shield 3.0

After last year's failed attempt due to unfortunate circumastances, WWE out of nowhere re-makes the reunion. Nobody really expected that move and it really got me by surprise. However, this is yet one of those situations where so many problems lie behind the big hype. Let's see.

No heel/face
    Fans won't boo Braun Strowman and if WWE tries to turn Strowman heel, then they have completely destroyed what could have been their next true big babyface. Logic says that the Shield are the heels here. But here's the deal. Why? It definately doesn't seem like WWE want Roman to be a heel and Rollis was at the height of his babyface popularity. So it looks like they have completely dropped the face/heel dynamic. Which brings me to my next point.

Seth Rollins is being sacrificed
    The guy was on top of his popularity and now he will seem like a lackey, alongside Ambrose, to Roman Reigns. This will most likely lead to Ambrose vs Rollins. So IMO, the Shield reunion wasn't needed.

Hierarchy
    What was different about the Shield, was that the group had no real leader. They just did what they wanted to do and they were three guys with a common goal, but they were all in the same level. Now, that's off the table. You have Roman Reigns as the World Champion. That alone makes Rollins and Ambrose seem below Roman. It's just goes against both Rollins' character and against Ambrose's character, to team up with Roman in order to protect him for Braun Strowman. Instead, they would try to eat him alive. They would let Strowman and Reigns destroy each other and then they would come out and pick up the pieces and after that, they would fight among themselves to become world champion. That's who Ambrose and Rollins are. Because simply, the Shield was never about one guy. So, wtf?

To sum up. This isn't the Shield. It's something else WWE just pulled out of their ass.

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WWE need to stop blowing their load. The Shield reunion had the potential to be absolutely massive, groundbreaking perhaps, but WWE have to play their trump card too early constantly. I would have hoped that Ambrose being injured may have given them time to think it over, but instead, they need to force the reunion again instead of allowing for a feud to take place in which the group reuniting would feel truly special.

This is the biggest problem with WWE programming right now: Nothing feels special anymore. It all feels so cynically and corporately manufactured, instead of sporadic and unpredictable. I think that's why so many people are nostalgic over the Attitude Era or the pipebomb. You don't need gratuitous sex or violence to make a good product, but you do need to make your fans feel invested and to give a damn about what happens week to week. At the moment, WWE seem to be operating more on what they think will be popular (and they have a terrible record in that department), instead of actually taking the time to really think about what would be best for the product as a whole.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think (Even though I agree that this could have been a big Summerslam ending) that WWE could do wonders with a new version of The Sheild. Roman Reigns the clear leader (Kind of a heel) with Seth / Ambrose backing him up. They can have zero loyalty to anyone on the roster, heel/face/GM and rule the way they want. They could even take it a step further and attack SD Live out of nowhere and take Nakamura's US Title and give it to Ambrose. Show that brands aren't even safe against the Hounds of Justice.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll get to watch the shield demolish three poor souls in Melbourne. Yeah life is good

Thread Information