Thread: If Cody Rhodes Becomes NWA Champion...

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If Cody Rhodes Becomes NWA Champion...

The special is tomorrow and I figured some of us had this on our minds.

On one hand, I genuinely think that if Cody defeats Nick Aldis at All In, it would be the shot in the arm the whole franchise desperately needs. I know it is an uphill battle for William Patrick Corgan to make NWA popular again, but if there's one wrestling story out there that catches my imagination, it's this one. Cody has made a name for himself outside of WWE, and there's a lot going on for both parties if Cody wins. He could do what many of us wanted to see CM Punk do when his contract expired as the WWE Champion. Cody has his thumb in a lot of pies, and it would do NWA some good to have him defend the belt in various organizations to get their name back up there.

On the other, I do think I'm dreaming. When Corgan bought NWA, I had high hopes that he could turn it all around in a year or two. I even started working on a feud review between Tim Storm (then NWA champ) vs. Jocephus Brody as I thought both characters were interesting, but it occurred to me by their matches that nobody under Corgan was that good except Nick Aldis. So it does feel like Cody is pulling some charity work but like I said, if Cody beats Nick Aldis, something could be gained by it. I don't think much will be had if Nick retains, especially on a stage that is making history on its own.

What do you guys think? Is it too little too late for the once prestigious company to reclaim their fame? Could Cody give NWA a pulse?

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hate to say this, I absolutely do because I feel like Cody is the most overrated wrestler in the business today, but if Cody wins he plays a solid enough whiny heel that he could be worth a lot to the NWA as a traveling champion who people want to see beat.

Of course, given the way the current wrestling fandom works, people would more pay just to see Cody due to his status on the indie scene as opposed to paying to see him get beat due to a genuine hatred of him (which lets be fair, outside of Roman I don't think we will ever see the level of hatred for wrestlers on a personal level we saw when traveling champions were the norm) but his status is undeniable.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I'll be wrong here, but I can't see Cody not walking out as champion.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think Cody could only help NWA get more eyes on it if he beats Nick Aldis. Cody is one of the biggest indy stars in the world right now and there's no denying the popularity of Bullet Club. People might watch just to see Cody rather than watch to see him get beat, but either way it's more attention brought to NWA which can only be good for them as maybe if they watch a whole show they'll find someone else on the show that catches their attention, or maybe they'll even get hooked on the product as a whole.

I fully expect Cody to become the NWA Champion tomorrow night, but we'll see what happens.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information