Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA & NFL Football 2018-2019 Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NCAA & NFL Football 2018-2019 Thread

I have no comment regarding the controversy surrounding Ohio State and Michigan State since I haven't bothered reading much up on it. I'm only going to comment on the games themselves.

West Virginia is my pick to win it all this year and while defeating Tennessee in 2018 isn't something to brag about, I still feel like my expectations were met with the Mountaineers performance today. I LOVE their team and truly believe they can be very special.

Ohio State's defense looked awful today. Yes, putting up over 70 against a well known school is impressive, but the Pac 12 isn't known to have good defenses. I don't see this year's Buckeyes making it to the playoffs with defensive play like that.

Auburn's defense on the other hand looked stellar. Was very, very impressed with those guys. Washington is legit in their ranking and Auburn dominated most of that football game. I don't think they have the offensive weapons to win it all this year, but Auburn could ruin some things for other teams along the way.

All I'll say about Alabama is that they need to park Hurtz on the bench and let Tua take over. I get Saban wanting to be nice, but it will cost them big in the end if they don't fully commit to Tua as being their starting QB. That kid is tremendous.

Michigan vs. Notre Dame... I was watching All In so I unfortunately had to sacrifice watching this game. According to Twitter, Harbaugh is on the hot seat despite it being the players who let him down from the sounds of it. A dropped TD and missed chip shot FG... I mean, it's hard to blame the coach for that, but I didn't see the rest of the game so I don't know if it was poorly coached or not. That said, it had to be devastating for Michigan fans to start their season like that, but glorious for Notre Dame despite from all indications that this was a pretty ugly match-up. I'm rooting for the Fighting Irish to have a good year though.

I also didn't see any of the Texas game but wow, what a disappointment that had to be for Longhorns fans. Couldn't believe they lost to this Maryland team that's going through so much turmoil. I thought this could have been the year where Texas became contenders again... guess not.

And LSU vs. Miami today... go Tigers! I don't expect much from LSU this season but a win today would be nice. Hopefully they get it done.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tua is incredible.

the Pac 12 isn't known to have good defenses.
    ^ You are mistaking the Pac-12 for the Big 12.

3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure how anything could cost Alabama when the committee is so far up their ass that they could go 0-12 and still make the playoff.

5. Likes Yaz liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Alabama also consistently has one of the most cupcake schedules any powerhouse team has ever had. They have the least away games against other power conference teams by far. I think only once since Saban got there have then played an away game north of the Mason Dixon Line. A few years back they had a home and home series against Michigan State, when MSU was kinda meh. Well they played at Bama and MSU did way better than expected so Bama paid to cancel the game at MSU. They constantly schedule "neutral" site games but the games are always either in SEC territory (Atlanta or New Orleans) or in Dallas. Alabama is consistently good, but there are a lot of holes to be poked in their armor if you want.
    Last edited by Yaz; 09-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.

7. Likes jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    A few years back they had a home and home series against Michigan State, when MSU was kinda meh. Well they played at Bama and MSU did way better than expected so Bama paid to cancel the game at MSU.
    Alabama has played Michigan State twice under Nick Saban. They've won by a combined score of 87-7. So maybe you're thinking of another team?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Alabama has played Michigan State twice under Nick Saban. They've won by a combined score of 87-7. So maybe you're thinking of another team?
    No, it was Bama. They fucked up MSU's schedule by doing it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-off/2877807/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    No, it was Bama. They fucked up MSU's schedule by doing it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-off/2877807/
    Alabama did cancel the 2016-17 home-and-home series against Michigan State but not because the Spartans did better than expected in a game in Tuscaloosa.

Should Alabama play more out of conference road games? Probably. However it isn't nearly as big of a deal as you're claiming. Look at the neutral site season openers Alabama has played in the last few years.

2012 - Michigan - 41-14 - Win

2013 - Virginia Tech - 35-10 - Win

2014 - West Virginia - 33-23 - Win

2015 - Wisconsin - 35-17 - Win

2016 - USC - 52-6 - Win

2017 - Florida State - 24-7 - Win

2018 - Louisville - 51-14 - Win

Besides maybe West Virginia, would it have really mattered if Alabama was playing on the road?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great win for my Fighting Irish Saturday. They completely overwhelmed Michigan in the first half and then clamped down on them in the second. The Irish defense was incredible as of the 17 points the Irish surrendered, 10 of them were the fault of the special teams (poor punt leading to great field position turned into a FG and a kickoff return for TD). I think going undefeated with as brutal of a schedule as they have is unlikely, but, barring unforeseen circumstances, they should definitely be a 9 win or better team (and being in the playoff hunt would not at all be unexpected).

12. Likes jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's early obviously, but going through the games all weekend and there was a bunch of field goal attempts that missed the uprights. A bunch of them were shanked not even close to the field goal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So all three TDs scored in last night's game were by 2 players both starting on one of my fantasy teams.

That plus the Falcons losing in heartbreaking fashion... I couldn't have asked for a better NFL opening night!

Thread Information