Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Milenko's Graphic Novel Reviews

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: This isn't even one storyline spread out over a few comics. It's a one off story so naturally it flows perfectly.

The Storyline: This is described as a modern greek tragedy and after reading it i can see why. A woman kills 4 men in Gotham causing Batman to chase her. She runs to NYC where Diana (Wonder Woman) is her people's ambassador to the UN. Right on her doorstep Danielle performs The Hiketeia, an ancient greek ritual that binds the two women together. Diana takes her as her supplicant and protects her from everyone including Batman when he tracks her to New York. They fight each other until Danielle, seeing only one way to stop everything throws herself off a bridge killing herself.

Artistry: it's not as modern looking as Flashpoint or Old Man Logan but I think it'll still translate alright in 10 or 20 years.

How Much I liked it: had never heard of this one before I saw it at the library so i wasn't sure what to think. Having read it i definitely plan on buying it and adding it to my collection. If you haven't read this i highly suggest it.

My rating: * * * * 3/4 out of 5

Final Thoughts: I was a bit leary about getting these from the library but I'm glad I did. I hope the rest are as good as this one.

Up Next
    X-Men: With Great Power
    Last edited by 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders; 07-15-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: It flows together great except the last one didn't fit. 1-10 was the main story but #11 was about Xavier telling Jubilee a story about a vampire he met so she would be at ease with her own vampirism. Good but out of place.

The Storyline: The X-Men get word that children are going missing in NYC so they go investigate. This puts them in touch with Spider-Man and they all go down to the sewers where the run into some lizard people. It turns out Dark Beast is using Dr. Connors' research to turn the missing children into the lizard people as well as 3 X-Men. Battle happens, good guys win.

Artistry: It's not my favorite. It just looks a bit to amateurish for me to really get into it from an artistic standpoint.

How Much I liked it: i liked the crossover aspect with Spider-Man but the artistry and #11 not belonging reall took it down for me. All things considered it was just slightly above average.

Final Thoughts: A good read if you like X-Men or Spider-Man but look for it at your library before you choose to buy it.

My rating: * * * 1/4 out of 5

Up Next
    Superman Codename: Patriot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: Spread over five different titles it flowed together surprisingly well. The overarching storyline was present and moved forward through all of them.

The Storyline: Superman left Earth for New Krypton to keep an eye on Zod. At the start of the story Zod is shot and the shooter flies to earth followed by Superman & Supergirl. One there they find out there is a massive conspiracy that is trying to start a war between earth & New Krypton.

Artistry: I like it. Everything is clear and really helps the story. Easily one of my favorites despite not being my favorite style.

re-readability: 25%

How much I Liked It: I enjoyed it except for one thing. It ended without the storyline being finished. An interplanetary war is still on the horizon and now i need to find out where the story ends so i can get a hold of it. That really brings everything down for me.

Final Thoughts: Why not just finish the story? I can't be the only one who got irritated at the fact it left off in the middle.

My Rating: * * out of 5.

Up Next
    Batman/Superman: Supergirl

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: it's all one title so as usual it flows together awesome

The Storyline: Batman finds a Kryptonian ship and in it is Superman's Cousin. Everyone from Superman, Batman and even Wonder Woman add their opinion on how she should be raised. Darkseid kidnaps & brainwashes her into fighting Clark. Batman saves everyone and Kara officially becomes Supergirl.

Artistry: I like it. It seems to have a classic feel to it so while it's not my favorite it's clear and adds to the story instead of distracting me.

re-readability: 88%

How much I Liked It: Like I've said before I really enjoy cross-overs and this is one of my favorites. The story didn't suck me in like Old Man Logan but it did come close.

Final Thoughts: a very good read that i recommend to pretty much everyone. It's perfect for a Batman fan or a Superman fan.

My Rating: * * * *1/2 out of 5

Up Next
    Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: it's all one title so as usual it flows together awesome.

The Storyline: Lex Luthor and Braniac take control of everything. Superman is Blackmailed into doing nothing while Batman and others rescue The Atom & The Flash and save the world.

Artistry: I'm not a fan. It looks like a 5th grader drew this entire thing and that really threw me off as I was Reading it.

Re-readability: 47%

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit actually. The story is one that i really rnjoyed reading and it does make me want to read the rest of this series but the artistru really took it all down a good bit

Final Thoughts: Great story bad artwork. Well worth the time though.

My Rating : * * * out of 5.

Up Next
    All*Star Superman

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: Same as usual it's all one story spread over a dozen comics.

The Storyline: Superman saves a spaceship full of people and gets overloaded with radiation from the sun to the point where it causes his cells to breakdown, eventually killing him. Before that happens he works on his bucket list and prepares the best he can to die. It turns out Luthor is responsible for everything but Superman stops him one last time.

[B]Artistryp/B]: It's alright. It's done well and fits the classic feel they seemed to have been going for.

Re-readability: 85%

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit actually. The story is one that i really enjoyed reading. It kept me sucked in wanting to know what happened throughout the story.

Final Thoughts: Awesome story that really makes me want to watch the animated film again, which you should find if you haven't.

My Rating : * * * * out of 5.

Up Next
    Guardians of The Galaxy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows: It all flowed together great until the end where they tacked on Tomorrow's Avengers. It didn't finish the story and the artistry was bad. They should have just left it out.

The Storyline: Starlord & Co have to fight the Badoon as well stop Thanos from destroying earth. Iron Man was also there and call Golden Guardian.

Artistry: It's alright until Tomorrow's Avengers. That one was horrible and really took it down

Re-readability: 49%

How much I Liked It: I liked it quite a bit. I had only seen the movie before this so i didn't have a lot of knowledge about this group going in. After reading it though i definitely want to read more.

Final Thoughts: Awesome story that everyone should read. If you've never read it before it's a good place to start because it goes into a little backstory to start things off.

My Rating : * * *3/4 out of 5.

Up Next
    Hellboy: The Right Hand Of Doom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Milenko, you should give American Alien a read. It's a series of Superman stories before he officially becomes Superman

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Milenko, you should give American Alien a read. It's a series of Superman stories before he officially becomes Superman
    That sounds incredibly interesting. I'll see if my library has it tomorrow. I gotta go downtown anyway.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Everything Flows Together: It didn't. All this was is a bunch of stand-alone short stories

The Storyline: There's 9 of them. One if them is, i kid you not a 2 page story about Hellboy eating pancakes for the first time.

Artistry: Good Artistry would have helped but sadly we didn't get that either. It was pretty bad.

Re-readability: 0%

How much I Liked It: I didn't care for it at all. When the first story is about pancakes my hopes aren't very high.

Final Thoughts: i picked this up because I had seen the movies. I was a bit leary getting one from a less well known company but decided I would give it a shot because I enjoy a lot of stuff people think is shit. A decision I regret. If you've never read it then don't bother. If you have then I feel your pain.

My Rating : * out of 5.

Up Next
    Batman/Superman: The Search For Kryptonite

Thread Information