Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intergender Wrestling

Intergender Wrestling

There are a few stories and rumors about that WWE is sorta teasing going further than having mixed tag team matches and having full on intergender matches. This is something that happens every once in a while in some indie promotions, it happens sometimes in Lucha Underground and I've seen it go down, to some degree, in AAA in the past.

Personally, I'm not a fan of it at all and think it should ultimately be left being no more as it is: something to be used in mixed tag team matches or in a comedy spot every so often in which a comedy jobber gets "beaten up" by a woman or by women. Even then, I'm not really even big fans of that when you get right down to it. Mixed tag team matches rarely interest me and I can take or leave the comedy spots. I don't think there's much to the rumors anyhow because Vince McMahon is scared to death to do something that risks making sponsors uncomfortable and depicting a man "beating up" a woman in a "fight" on live television would do that. I mean, you just know that the sight of Triple H Pedigreeing Ronda Rousey, while buzzworthy, would inevitably cause everyone from trolls to femnazis to just about everyone else accusing WWE of advocating violence against women. It probably wouldn't even matter that Rousey could kick his ass in a real fight, it's the depiction of a man putting his hands on another woman that'd get some riled up. It wouldn't be at all true but when's the last time the truth really mattered? We currently have a President who MAY be in Russia's pocket & violated campaign finance laws and a Supreme Court Justice nominee who MAY have a history of sexual assault but the GOP won't conduct an investigation to find out the truth. On top of that, what'd happen when a woman wound up injured in one of those matches? What if Liv Morgan was accidentally kicked upside the head by Apollo Crews instead of Brie Bella? Not only would there be fake outrage over that, you'd probably even have people try to exploit racial tensions by bringing up that a big ol' muscular black man just gave a pretty, blond, 115 pound white woman a concussion.

Again, I don't put much stock in the rumors and there's no real upside that I can see.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm actually pro intergender wrestling, if done sensibly.

I'm not saying we should throw women against Braun Strowman, but if presented well (and not in the ham-fisted obviously pandering to PR way WWE does), I could definitely see a wrestler like Charlotte wrestle against someone like AJ Styles and give him an amazing match. There's no doubt the women are talented enough, and it could be seen as a legitimate progressive move (again, not the disgusting perversion of progressivism that passes today) in validating women as equals to men.

It would need to be handled with care, but if done right, it could be phenomenal.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There was a time wrestling fans would get upset seeing guys wrestle outside their weight class because it was unrealistic. We've gotten over that. If WWE decided to give us intergender wrestling, we'll bitch, and then get over that too.

I support it. I'm not saying open the floodgates for The Bellas to work a program with The Authors of Pain here (there should still be a level of realism about this whole thing), just that not for a second have I believed women like Charlotte, Asuka, and definitely Ronda Rousey are on equal footing with their division. To me, that's unrealistic. If WWE decided to toss Rousey against a guy, jobber or not, I believe she would be seen as an equal because of her background. If anything, keeping certain women in a division they're above is hindering storylines people would pay to see. Remember that pop Rousey got when she stood toe-to-toe with Triple H? Hell, remember when she got physical with him? It was a hell of a moment. If Chyna could do it in a time when women were mainly used to help adolescents discover their bodies, then I think Rousey and even Nia Jax could get in the ring with a guy in a time when women having a voice is forefront to political and social discourse.

I disagree with this whole "but SJWs" argument. As a feminist, I'm far likelier to be interested in WWE if they allowed women to compete with the men because it promotes women's equality. WWE would make sure we NEVER forgot that, either.

But like so much else right now, it is all dependent on how well the booking is and let's face it - WWE hasn't been must-see in forever. I doubt there will be any changes to how the shows run and therefore agree that intergender wrestling will not take priority. But I still would rather see it than anything else on Raw.

And injuries are an occupational hazard. There are ways to do this safely otherwise those promotions listed wouldn't bother.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Despite many peopleâ??s unwillingness to admit it, WWE is a childrenâ??s program. At no time is it good to teach children itâ??s ok for a man to hit a woman. Iâ??d be very surprised if this came to fruition.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Marshall Bill View Post
    Despite many people’s unwillingness to admit it, WWE is a children’s program. At no time is it good to teach children it’s ok for a man to hit a woman. I’d be very surprised if this came to fruition.
    If we're using this logic, then no child should be watching pro wrestling at all. Hitting other men with steel chairs, putting them through tables, and jumping off ladders is just as violent, if not more violent, than intergender matches.

7. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have no issue with intergender wrestling and would be fine with WWE doing it. It's a fairly normal thing in just about every big indy company out there and there's a few women in wrestling (Candice LeRae likely being the biggest one in recent memory) who are making a name for themselves or have already made a name for themselves through intergender wrestling. It's just as believable a woman can beat a man as saying someone like Finn Balor can beat Braun Strowman. They would just need to book the women to be on even footing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A Rousey/Reigns feud would sell tickets. Fast. Just saying.

10. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It worked for Mildred Burke.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Why so political

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah call me when Brie Bella goes over someone half decent....

Thread Information