Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE â??Monitoringâ?? Saudi Governmentâ??s Reported Involvement In Death Of Journalist

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WWE â??Monitoringâ?? Saudi Governmentâ??s Reported Involvement In Death Of Journalist

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/wwe.../#.W8BAaWhKiUm

WWE says theyâ??re â??monitoring the situationâ? involving the death of a journalist reportedly at the order of Saudi Arabiaâ??s royal court.

A rep for WWE released a statement to the media saying, â??We are currently monitoring the situation.â?

For those unaware, the New York Times reported this week that officials believe Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi was assassinated in the Turkish consulate last week by a team who dismembered his body with a bonesaw.

Companies with ties to the Saudi government have since come under heavy scrutiny. On Wednesday, the New York Times pulled out as a media sponsor from an investor event later this month in Riyadh. Richard Branson also suspended business talks with the Saudi Arabian government in regards to a reported $1 billion investment in Virginâ??s space companies.

Weâ??ll keep you updated if WWE makes any additional comments.
    It makes my skin crawl how soft a stance WWE is taking on this. I think many of you know my thoughts on the government of Saudi Arabia, but this is a new low for even their dystopian hellhole. I don't see Crown Jewel being called off, but I do hope WWE reconsider their relationship with the Saudi government going forward.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

2. Likes mrluck_07, Fillet Club liked this post
    As far as WWE goes, they're going to get raked over the coals over this by internet fans, smarks, dirt sheet writers and even some other wrestling companies but, frankly, so the fuck what? That's part for the course for damn near anything they do.

I can't demonize WWE for doing business with the Saudis while so many mega corporations like Pepsi, Microsoft, AT&T, Coca-Cola, Ford, IBM, Holiday Inn, not to mention all the various oil companies like Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, etc.. This is the dirty side of Capitalism, it goes on every single day and these companies aren't going to throw away billions of dollars by ceasing all business relationships with the KSA. That's especially true for the oil companies because such a breakdown would pretty much start a worldwide financial meltdown. Compared to those companies, WWE is a little guy and I guess it's easier to go after the little guy in situations like this, even though the little guy is ultimately just an entertainment company.

There was controversy for WWE agreeing to do the Greatest Royal Rumble and not having any women on the show, there's this controversy and I'm sure there'll be something else that comes along when/if their next Saudi show goes down. I've read some comments made in sections on some articles and forums, some from other wrestlers, talking about the "purity" and "artistry" of pro wrestling and how it shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of money and I think those people ought to shampoo my crotch. Do you think New Japan, ROH, LU or Impact would turn down deal for them to put on a series of wrestling events in which they'd be paid $50+ million per show???? I was born, but I sure as hell wasn't born yesterday and those companies, would jump all over it because it'd be the single best pay day any of them ever had in their entire existence. Some want to prefer to think of wrestling as performance art, more power to 'em but deep down, it's not that at all and if it is, then it's doomed to mediocrity. All the "this is awesome", "fight forever" and "holy shit" chants in the world don't pay the bills and provide some security when Father Time starts kicking ass like he does to everyone eventually.

If WWE does sever their business relationship, it's not like I'd jump all over them or anything. I'm mostly just irritated by all the examples of fake internet outrage that WWE gets subjected to, sometimes quite unfairly at that, by wrestling geeks.
    Last edited by Jack-Hammer; 10-12-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nothing is likely to change. WWE is a small fish in this pond, and Americans are so divided about shit lately that another government killing their own is likelier to just have one side go on an internet tangent and bash the other side for being concerned. Case in point, above.
    Last edited by Spidey; 10-12-2018 at 12:41 PM.

5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    As far as WWE goes, they're going to get raked over the coals over this by internet fans, smarks, dirt sheet writers and even some other wrestling companies but, frankly, so the fuck what? That's part for the course for damn near anything they do.
    Working closely with a theocratic autocracy that executes women for being raped and homosexuals is a bit more concerning than bad wrestling or Dave Meltzer commenting on a female wrestler gaining weight.

Sure, people overreact to stuff in this day and age, and often times, they search for a casus belli, but that doesn't mean there's never an opportunity to be actually upset with terrible decisions.

I can't demonize WWE for doing business with the Saudis while so many mega corporations like Pepsi, Microsoft, AT&T, Coca-Cola, Ford, IBM, Holiday Inn, not to mention all the various oil companies like Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, etc.. This is the dirty side of Capitalism, it goes on every single day and these companies aren't going to throw away billions of dollars by ceasing all business relationships with the KSA. That's especially true for the oil companies because such a breakdown would pretty much start a worldwide financial meltdown. Compared to those companies, WWE is a little guy and I guess it's easier to go after the little guy in situations like this, even though the little guy is ultimately just an entertainment company.
    Maybe those businesses are wrong? I understand capitalism often results in shady dealings, and that it's the best financial model we currently have, but I think some things don't have a price tag, like human life and many of the liberties we should be thankful for having in the west that places in Saudi Arabia do not allow. In the wise words of John Stuart Mill: "That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time."

Also, don't try to twist this into a "WWE is the little guy in this situation." This isn't a Pepsi or Microsoft forum, and for those companies obvious problems, they aren't producing what amounts to state propaganda broadcast across the entire world, with a US Mayor in the main event no less.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Working closely with a theocratic autocracy that executes women for being raped and homosexuals is a bit more concerning than bad wrestling or Dave Meltzer commenting on a female wrestler gaining weight.

Sure, people overreact to stuff in this day and age, and often times, they search for a casus belli, but that doesn't mean there's never an opportunity to be actually upset with terrible decisions.
    Allegedly, these shows are part of some sort of attempt at a more liberal social reform in Saudi Arabia the prince is undertaking, otherwise I'm not sure if even Vince would've gone through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    Maybe those businesses are wrong? I understand capitalism often results in shady dealings, and that it's the best financial model we currently have, but I think some things don't have a price tag, like human life and many of the liberties we should be thankful for having in the west that places in Saudi Arabia do not allow. In the wise words of John Stuart Mill: "That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time."

Also, don't try to twist this into a "WWE is the little guy in this situation." This isn't a Pepsi or Microsoft forum, and for those companies obvious problems, they aren't producing what amounts to state propaganda broadcast across the entire world, with a US Mayor in the main event no less.
    WWE is a little guy in this situation whether you want to admit it or not. Senators, such as Lindsey Graham, have publicly stated that they'd like WWE to potentially postpone the event but, again, nobody is calling on these other companies to stop doing business with the Saudis. Why is that exactly? Holding WWE to standards that aren't applied to other American companies is, to me, just plain crap no matter what sort of forum this happens to be. Lindsey Graham wants WWE to alter its business arrangement with Saudi Arabia? Fine. If WWE decides to, that's fine too. My point is that WWE doesn't even register as a blip on the radar compared to these mega companies that make bank by doing business with the Saudis; what WWE is getting is a drop in the bucket next to them but you don't hear lawmakers going after them because, in many instances, it's the various CEOs and executives of these Fortune 500 companies that keep Washington politicians in business.

If Vince calls the show off, more power to him. If he's able to call off the rest of the Saudi deal and does, I've got no problem with that. I just don't see why WWE should be held ot a higher standard then damn near the rest of corporate America.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Crown Jewel will happen regardless. I'm sure the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia can put a pretty big dent in WWE's profitability if they were to back out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unless there's a drastic change in overall US position regarding the Saudis, I do not see the WWE pulling out of this show. At the end of the day, the giant hypocrite Lindsey Graham can say what he wants, but he and others clearly are not going to hold anyone accountable. I do not see the WWE pulling their show.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Uncle Dave says it's on.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There's a real chance that someone involved with his death will be on the hard cam all night.

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    There's a real chance that someone involved with his death will be on the hard cam all night.
    Wow... And people somehow still think this is no big deal

Thread Information