Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Chat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    Any good Xbox 1 games coming out soon? I've been out of the loop for quite some time.
    Don't forget DMC 5 this Friday. If you like Devil May Cry that is. Also, if you haven't already, I'd suggest playing the remake of Resident Evil 2 to anyone. It's amazing. I was going to say Days Gone comes out in April but that's a PS4 exclusive isn't it?? Also, on the 22nd of March Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice come out for all platforms. It's the next entry into the Souls and Bloodborne series and none of those games have disappointed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Have you never played an MMO?

It is by no means a game that lived up to the hype, but its far from a game you need to stay away from. It doesn't mean EA and Bioware get a pass for it, but give it five or six months and it should be better. Its an issue a lot of MMOs face.
    I'll be honest, no I haven't played a lot of MMOs. Does Anthem qualify as an MMO though? I thought it was a loot shooter. I know that it has to be played online but it's not a MMO in the same vein as say World of Warcraft or any of the Elder Scrolls online games. (Those are about the only MMOs I've played) I've heard people say give it a few months but admittedly I'm not used to that. Most games I play are story driven single player games or RPGs. So I can see your point. I'm not used to having to wait for games to get better though.

Well everyone, it finally happened. I finally made it far enough in Dead Cells to where I feel confident that I can provide valuable feedback.

My last review was a very angry one, because after months of playing the damn game I still couldn't complete it. I should note that defeating the end boss merely qualifies you to play the game at a higher difficulty. I've defeated the end boss twice now, earning my way into the "Very Hard" difficulty, where I'm constantly trounced by every enemy in the game.

If you must play this game, there are a few things you should know first:

The Weapons
    Click for Spoiler:
    90% of the weapons in this game are bullshit. I'm sorry, I don't think I said that loudly enough. *ahem* 90% OF THE WEAPONS IN THIS GAME ARE BULLSHIT!! So yeah, keep that in mind.

This game has enemies that throw bombs, and can throw them through walls or other obstructions. Sometimes these bombs linger for a few seconds, or sometimes they explode on contact with the ground. Sometimes enemies will throw bombs for no damn reason, and you only see that they've been thrown by entering a new area where you now have 1/10 of a second to escape before dying.

The point of explaining the bomb enemies' capabilities to you is to emphasize that, slow weapons are suicide. Slow weapons require at least a half-second before you indicate that you want to attack, and your attack executing. This is mainly why 90% of the weapons in the game are bullshit, with some other reasons being that some weapons really don't do jack shit for damage.

The ONLY weapons you will need are the following:

Melee;

Frantic Sword, because every hit is critical when below 50% health, and it hits damn hard otherwise anyway.

Torch, don't let the stats fool you, this one hits damn hard. For some odd reason you'll see a very low number for damage, but apparently the lingering fire affect makes up for the low damage.

Blood Sword, only use it if you have no other option, as it does bleeding damage. It doesn't hit very hard though.

Ranged;

Ice Shards, they don't have much range, but they're a damn good setup for melee attacks as they'll slow down enemies that are hit by them.

Hokuto's Bow, make this one a top priority. It usually only has two arrows, but hitting an enemy with one of those arrows makes your melee attacks a lot more powerful. I was able to kill the end boss in under 30 seconds using this bow. The other bosses when down like little bitches.

Accessories;

Cluster Grenade, make this one a top priority as well. This bomb covers a wide area with multiple bombs, and they all pack a huge punch. One shot from Hokuto's bow, and a rain of bombs is how I would initiate boss battles.

Root Grenage, this will hold your enemies in place and hurt them over time. Enemies can still make ranged attacks, but they can't turn around. You'll have a huge advantage with this one, as it affects bosses as well.

The Powerups
    Click for Spoiler:
    Pick a color for damage, and stick with it.

Based on my weapon recommendations, I obviously picked red as often as I could.

If you just focus on one color, you can have 25-30 when you confront the end boss. Those small improvements make a huge difference later on. Most enemies can three hit kill you anyway, so don't worry about building up your hitpoints by picking other colors.

So, I finally beat The Hand of the King. On Normal mode, and on Hard mode.

The developers apparently tweaked the difficulty on me.

Before, The Hand of the King would start off by charging at you and forcing you into a pit of spikes. You'd think that knowing that would allow you to easily roll past him, but no. If you were a split second off, his charge would catch you and into the spikes you'd go. There's a small platform made of ice above the spikes, and if you hop onto that and try to double-jump over The Hand of the King when he charges you'll be caught and forced into the spikes.

Now, The Hand of the King starts off by staring at you. You can run up to him, and he'll indicate that he's going to swing his weapon. At this point you can roll past him easily and attack him from behind, or roll back and attack him with a ranged weapon.

I'm honestly a little miffed that as I was mastering kicking that dudes ass, the developers suddenly decided that it was too hard and made it obscenely easy (on normal mode, mind you).

On normal mode, I killed him in less than 30 seconds. I'd have destroyed him faster if he didn't have to interrupt the battle to go invincible and send his cronies after me.

On hard mode, just watch...
    Click for Spoiler:

So I killed him, and I was able to count a lot of mistakes that I made in the process. Most experienced players would likely laugh at how cheap I was and how I lacked skill, but for the record I STILL FUCKING KILLED HIS ASS!

But anywho, Dead Cells. The game that I hate, and it hates me. But it's honestly the only game I ever play these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm actually trying to find a game to get interested in again. I've been playing 7 Days to Die for a while, but I have kind of maxed out what I can do in my world. I did download "Towers Unite", a monthly Humble Bundle product, and it looks kind of interesting.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Playing Dragon Quest 11, though the game is extremely colorful, a joy to watch....there is just something really MEH about it. Nothing jumps out as -outstanding- in this game, other than boss battles. I'm almost forcing myself to play it at this point 22 hours in (take away 5 ish hours of the controller on the counter while I drive away to grab groceries.) The music is fine, but really, really repetitive early. The characters are mostly hollow and fairly annoying for whatever reason, perhaps it stems from this weird Japanese childish vibe the game slings in your face often. It doesn't work for me at times. Theres an entire episode of assisting a Sultan's bratty, cowardly child that was really grinding on the nerves how annoying the voice acting was for him, if it wasn't for a great boss battle, I'd have dropped the episode and left the game unplayed.

It's still fairly early I guess, I want to give this game more of a chance as it does get better, but other than some good battles, the story, characters and repeating music score is souring the experience for me.

For first time players, expect nothing but story telling and hand holding for a long time before you are challenged in this game. It takes awhile.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Picked up Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice last weekend and it is amazing. There really was never any doubt that it was going to be amazing considering that it's a From Software game and they rarely, if ever, fail to deliver. It reminds me of Tenchu from the PSOne mixed with the Souls/Borne games and it's so fun. It's hard as all hell but it's so fun. I'd recommend it for anyone.

Oh no, not another post by that "enviousdominous" guy about Dead Cells!

And now, another post by that "enviousdominous" guy about Dead Cells.

Occasionally when you play a video game that has a reputation for being aggressively difficult, you achieve a mental state of pure oneness that allows you to essentially become Neo from the Matrix when he discovered the ability to stop speeding bullets with his mind or fend off a lightning quick series of martial arts attacks using only one forearm. I had that moment with Dead Cells, and it was good.

So, right away, I was able to beat the Hand of the King on Very Hard and Extreme mode. Now I'm playing this game on the Nightmare difficulty, and I've honestly had much nicer nightmares than the insanity that's going on there.

First off, my self-aggrandizing, but slightly educational, videos of destroying The Hand of The King on Very Hard and Extreme modes of play.

Very Hard:

Click for Spoiler:

Extreme:

Click for Spoiler:

I feel that I've played enough of this game on every difficulty to where I can offer a few strategies and, perhaps finally, review this damn game.

Differences between the difficulties:

Normal Mode:

Click for Spoiler:
    This mode of play has been "balanced" by the developers, which is a nice way of saying that they recently made it so ridiculously easy that after beating it you'll have essentially assisted the suicide of every enemy in the game. This is where you can test your reflexes with dodging and figure out what types of attacks most enemies will utilize, but keep in mind that on higher difficulty levels the cadence and method of attack for pretty much every enemy will change.

By all means, have fun with this mode and try not to die because that would be embarrassing.

Hard Mode:

Click for Spoiler:
    This is where things get real. Certain enemies are added to earlier levels, and that ramps up the difficulty significantly. Be wary that the sorcerers who can launch projectiles through obstruction may have seemed slow and dull on normal mode, but on this mode their threat detection is higher and if they have already detected you they can launch an attack in a split second if they see you again.

My strategy with this and every difficulty after it is to be brutal and cheap. Get a strong long range attack and spam it like a dick-head. Also; get a strong weapon that attacks fast (Frantic Blade), and mash the hell out of the attack button when you get an enemy off guard. Most enemies will be stunned if you hit them with a lot of damage quickly, so then they can't counterattack. Be brutal by going after most enemies with EVERYTHING, your long range weapon, your main weapon, and your accessories (bombs, traps). Don't take chances with anything. If you throw away an hour of your life only to be killed by some shmuck enemy, it hurts, trust me.

Very Hard Mode:

Click for Spoiler:
    Balls to the mother fucking wall on this one, and do not slow down for anything. This mode takes away the ability to restock your health potion flask after every level, but you get about four restocks if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that you DO NOT get a health flask refill after beating the final level, the flask you get after defeating The Time Keeper is the last one.

Make sure to take the Vampirism mutation early on, because you'll need every precious point of life you can get at the very end. As you may have seen from my fight with The Hand of The King, he now has a significant amount of damage reduction. My brutality stat was a lot lower, but I was only flaking off tiny layers of health while doing what should have been a lot of damage. The fight with The Hand of The King is no joke at this point, you'll need to know his mannerisms.

Firstly he'll just swipe his weapon at you in one direction, and you can easily roll past him and light him up with attacks. He might do his bull charge attack, but it'll be slow and simple to roll past. He'll go down to 75% health, and then go invincible so you can fight his henchmen. After this brief fight, shit starts to get real.

After getting below 75% health, all hell breaks loose with this asshole. His attacks are now three attacks, that are pretty damn quick and will not allow you a window to attack in between. Also; most of your accessory attacks are now useless. As you can see I foolishly wandered into that battle with the grappling hook. Fuck my life for that, that was fucking stupid. Even on a lower difficulty, the grappling hook only succeeds in pulling The Hand of The King closer to you where he can immediately counter attack with an attack that WILL hit you. It doesn't stun him, and its ability to make your attacks stronger is useless since there won't be a window to attack. Your best bet is to do like you may have done fighting Sandman in the original punchout, count out the rolls "1, 2, 3" and then attack him.

Also; he'll start to do a double bull charge, sweeping the whole arena twice. Just be ready for it, and know that you can do a split second hop after being knocked over the spikes and avoid spike damage all together.

Another thing; early in the battle The Hand of The King will do a ground smash attack that only covers about 20% of the ground and can easily be avoided. After pissing him off by getting him to 75% health, his ground smash attack will have a few seconds of preparation but will cover 100% of the ground and fuck your ass up if you're caught in it. It's a very annoying interruption to the battle where you have to stop fighting and rush over to the tiny breakable ice platform to survive.

My strategy for that battle? Fuck his ass up. Rely on reflex and instinct for the most part, but keep on fucking his ass up. I thought I was a goner a few times in the battle, but the numbers were on my side in the end. I was knocked down to where one more hit would have killed me, but I STILL killed his ass.

Extreme Mode:

Click for Spoiler:
    I was the game at this point. I was pretty angry over getting destroyed by nothing enemies early in the game, and I was just done being hesitant.

This mode has absolutely no refills for your health flask after levels, and thus you can count on future difficulties having the same circumstance. Randomly dropped and discovered food is your best friend. You can also buy food at some merchants, but you'll likely be saving your money to develop weapons that are actually worth a shit.

In my video I included the level before hand, in that I was pretty sure during that level that I was a goner multiple times. I pressed, and I made it to The Hand of The King, and I fucked his ass up. Through every play, I was determined to not use any doses of health potion, so that I could have a full four doses of health potion when fighting The Hand of The King. That vid was my first time making it to the final battle on Extreme, and as weathered as I was from the battle on Very Hard mode, I wasn't about to let him stomp out my hour and a half of effort.

All in all, the only thing making this harder than Very Hard mode is the complete lack of health potion refills. I'm sure that the programming is tweaked somewhat in the enemies favor, but at that point I honestly couldn't tell.

Nightmare:

Click for Spoiler:
    This is where I am now, and dear Lord almighty they did something purely evil with this difficulty.

On the lower difficulties, if you make it to the final level, and fight one of its three bosses, you'll contract "malaise" if you get hit by one of them. Getting hit by a malaise infected enemy will add a chunk to a bar at the bottom of the screen, and if that bar fills up you die automatically.

On Nightmare mode, if ANY enemy hits you, you contract malaise. Oh wait, that's not all. If you eat food, you contract malaise as well. SO, the enemies are harder on their own anyway, and NOW you can't get hit AND eat food more than ten times without automatically dying.

How am I dealing with the brain damaging stress that this difficulty causes? I'm playing the game every waking second that I'm able to without tipping my wife off onto the idea that I'm a hopeless addict.

All in all, this is a great fucking game. It only costs $30, and it's gotten so much play out of me I can hardly believe it. The hit detection is spot on, you'll absolutely destroy this game if you have the cat-like reflexes that would have gotten you through a Ninja Gaiden title from yester-decade. This game breaks the "do-over" trend of video games these days, and it's both a blessing and a curse. You'll hate yourself for wasting an entire afternoon attempting to beat a game that mercilessly hands you a tear inducing "GAME OVER" every time you play, and you'll feel a huge sense of triumph when you -- not only -- beat the game, but finesse it as well.

This game teaches you that failure fucking happens, and dealing with it is one of the hardest lessons you'll ever learn. No saves, your only glimpse of hope is if you take a mutation early in the game that allows you to come back after dying. If The Hand of The King kills you, you have to trudge through the ENTIRE game again just to practice dodging his erratic attacks once more. And dammit, that sets the men apart from the boys. If you keep coming back until you finally beat that asshole, it will have been worth it.

Most other games allow those with a moderate level of skill to trounce it in under five hours, and then they take an attitude of "yeah, I beat that game. It was alright, I'm just such a good video gamer that it was no sweat." Games have become very cinematic these days, you're not really playing a game as much as you're running through the steps of an interactive novel. Non-cinematic first and third person shooters have become a get rich quick scheme, where the only thing that really makes a game like Fortnite stand out is that it incorporates dancing.

Dead Cells is the type of game that is beaten by VERY few people that play it. I don't think that this is a matter of skill, but is more a matter of a spoiled generation of gamers wanting to run and hide back in their worlds of Skyrim and Fortnite where they can reap big rewards for giving very little effort. I get that people play Dead Cells on multiple platforms, but right now the PS4 trophy count for beating Dead Cells on Extreme mode is at 1.3% of those who play it on PS4. THAT is satisfying, fitting in with a status quo that finds pride in undermining their favorite games is a petty attempt at achieving the satisfaction of claiming that there was no satisfaction in beating the game.

Mark my words, Dead Cells is the greatest game I've ever played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Destiny 2 adding a quest for Outbreak Prime is cool. I know it's an old gun but the quest is interesting and something new to do. It doesn't solve the problems Destiny 2 has but sometimes, having something new to do will rekindle the joy that everyone had playing the original Destiny game.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Got Days Gone a few weeks ago and it's a really good game. It's pretty polarizing when it comes to it's reviews, however, IMO most of those reviewers gave it horrible scores for the things that don't really matter when it comes to what makes a good video game. One reviewer didn't like it because it was another zombie game and it had a gruff white male protagonist. Another didn't like it because she said their were no 'Freakers' (the games zombies) of color yet there is an in game reason as to why all the 'Freakers' have pale white skin. So obviously, she didn't pay attention to the game and had her mind made up before hand. Other reviewers make similar claims and give political reasons as to why the game is no good, but IMO, that has nothing to do with gaming.

If you like zombie games or post apocalyptic games then you'd love this game. It's amazing. Great graphics, open world, great story, a customizable motorcycle, weapons, and giant ass hordes of zombies that are awe inspiring when you first see them. I love this game and would recommend it to anyone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So I got that Mortal Kombat game for my xbox one and it's cool so far.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

Thread Information