Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Chat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Video Game Chat

What are you playing? What are you looking forward to? What do you dislike? All video game related chat is welcome.

Right now 99% of my gaming is taken up my PUBG. It is a fun game and one that should only improve once the Xbox version catches up to the PC version in full release. I did recently get Monster Hunter World and plan to start that this week as well.

Next month I have two games coming out that I am really looking forward to. Far Cry 5 and Sea of Thieves. Far Cry has been a solid series for me over the years and while it can be repetitive, the story in this one really peaks my interest. Sea of Thieves is pirates, and I have always been a fan of pirates. In high school a friend and I dressed as pirates to give a presentation for our sociology class and I have always had a soft spot for MMOs. Hopefully this delivers.

For Norcs and Barbs, there is a game launching soon that the two of you may be interested in. Kingdom Come Deliverance. It has peaked my interest a bit with the promise of an authentic representation of live in the the Holy Roman Empire. I always enjoy RPGs, and if they can deliver on their promises, I think this could be a hit. I'll link to the site for those who want to check it out.

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've watched Shroud play Sea of Thieves on Twitch for an hour or two and I STILL don't understand what the point of the game is.

Right now, I've been playing quite a bit of Team Fortress 2. It's an old game, full of cheaters and cheesiness, but I still enjoy it nonetheless.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm intrigued by Far Cry 5 because I'm interested to see how they include all the crazy stuff they have over the years while basing the game in America. It made sense that you could drive around wherever you want, shoot tigers with rocket launchers, and jump off the top of a mountain in the last two games because they took place in chaotic nations with no government, but how is Far Cry 5 going to logically explain why the American government isn't doing anything about the cult-run town or the insane person that's trying to stop them by stealing cars, shooting military-grade weaponry, and murdering the local wildlife in order to make a quiver that holds more arrows.

Surprised people are still playing Team Fortress 2, Sly, especially when Overwatch is a thing. A great thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As someone who used to play TF2 competitively, Overwatch, whether directly or not, was the Team Fortress 2 killer. Sure, TF2 definitely has its advantages being free and running better on low-end systems, but Valve's mismanagement of the game, coupled with the Meet Your Match update as a desperate attempt to do what Overwatch was doing, drove a massive portion of the fanbase, both casual and hardcore, away, and it never recovered.

Right now, apart from playing through the original Tomb Raider trilogy and Pokemon Platinum (since I neglected the fourth generation Pokemon games), my go-to game is Rainbow Six Siege. Unlike the glorified point-and-click adventure that is Counter Strike, Siege has a lot of nuances and liberty to the game that makes it an absolute blast to play regardless of skill level.

Also, to make this not an anti-Valve post, I still play Dota 2 from time to time, and it's still by far the best MOBA out there in terms of refinement and attention to detail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Haven't gotten round to playing LoZ: BotW yet after finishing Odyssey.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    Surprised people are still playing Team Fortress 2, Sly, especially when Overwatch is a thing. A great thing.
    I think when you compare the price points, it's not surprising at all. I can play TF2 for free, whereas Overwatch has cost a lot more over the time. Plus, for me, I think TF2 is a little slower of a game and I enjoy that too. It's better for the casual player who has other things to do while he games.

I've considered playing Overwatch, and now that I see the price has come down, I may look into it more (though starting over learning a new game does not sound fun to me). You play? Is it worth $20 or $30?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    As someone who used to play TF2 competitively, Overwatch, whether directly or not, was the Team Fortress 2 killer. Sure, TF2 definitely has its advantages being free and running better on low-end systems, but Valve's mismanagement of the game, coupled with the Meet Your Match update as a desperate attempt to do what Overwatch was doing, drove a massive portion of the fanbase, both casual and hardcore, away, and it never recovered.
    The TF2 matchmaking is just the worst and their ability to catch and ban cheaters is wretched as well. When I stop playing, it'll likely be because of one or both of those factors.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    TF2 did get a major update not super long ago, though that last time I put any real time into the game was when they did the whole robot invasion thing. Do they still have the large community market for cosmetic items?

From what I understand about Far Cry 5, the player (who is built through a character creator this time) actually plays a sheriff who is trying to take down a doomsday cult. While I'm sure they will need to build on that, it does at least give some explanation as to why it looks like you are getting free reign to blow shit up with military hardware.

Siege was a pretty fun game when I played. I'm average at best at most competitive shooters, but with Siege I felt like the different operatives had different feels and you could make up for being an average player by finding a niche role in a squad.

Sea of Thieves intrigues me because it looks like it will be a thought out and polished open world game to play with my friends. Yeah, it has no clear goals, but for years and years I have tried to find an open world game that wasn't WoW or Guild Wars that I could play with friends and was actually a polished game. Too many early access Steam games in that category burned me.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm playing Boderlands 1,2 & The Pre-Sequal on my ps3.

I'm going to need to get a PS4 soon as i doubt they'll have Borderlands 3 on last gen consoles

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    TF2's last update was good, but I couldn't shake the impression that it was a swan song for ten years at the top of class-based shooters. Valve are focusing primarily on CS and Dota, as well as their Dota-inspired card-game going forward. TF2 is a distant fifth in their priorities when you factor in projects concerning Steam in general also, which really doesn't bode well for Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Portal and the rest of Valve's properties.

Honestly, Valve's complacency is going to catch up to them. Ubisoft, Blizzard and yes, even EA, have all caught up to Valve's initial refinement within the FPS genre, and the CS:GO fanbase is going to dwindle down into competitive purists as time goes by. Games like PUBG, Overwatch, ARK, Siege and Fortnite (pretty good actually, runs better than PUBG, that's for sure) are all gaining traction, and CS has nothing else to offer but the same stuff again and again. Dota is fairing well on the competitive stage, but is still having a tough time with a more casual audience against League Of Legends. Valve's been lucky that EA have shot themselves in the foot with horrendously awful business practices, but they can't play the waiting game forever. Eventually, they need to do something revolutionary once more, on the level of the first two Half Life games.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm playing Sleeping Dogs. And it's almost complete. And that's such a relief since I thought that I could never do it.

Thread Information