Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Chat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by EnviousDominous View Post
    I've been playing (or binging more like) the original Borderlands game on PSNOW.

The game is mindless fun, and I'm hopelessly enthralled. I haven't been following the story, mainly because the only time I can play it is when my fiance is asleep and I have to keep the volume down. I was up until 3am playing it last week.

There's lots of silly side-missions where you either retrieve items or you kill something. I compulsively have to complete every one of them.

I'm at the end of the game, haven't been able to find the free time to kill the endboss though. I recommend it for people who just like to wreak havoc in a video game, plus it can be played cooperatively if that's your thing.
    The only thing which bothered me about Borderlands is that it, ultimately, was fairly repetitive. It was fun at first, but after basically doing the same thing over and over and over again (just with supposedly stronger weapons), it gets a little old.

2. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    The only thing which bothered me about Borderlands is that it, ultimately, was fairly repetitive. It was fun at first, but after basically doing the same thing over and over and over again (just with supposedly stronger weapons), it gets a little old.
    There's a lot of games like this: Destiny, The Division, Borderlands, 90% of cell phone games...

I was talking to my friend about this type of game the other day and kind of talked myself into seeing the appeal of it. If you really like the gameplay, it's actually a pretty neat idea, especially if you play co-op with your friends. It's like playing a game of pick up basketball with some friends: the game is never going to change, the players aren't going to get that much better or worse, but if you enjoy the activity, you don't mind doing it over and over again.

That said I played The Division and got sick of it after a month or so when I realized that the only reason I was playing these missions was so I'd be able to beat the same missions more easily the next time I played these missions, and that realization pissed me off.

I think that style of game is probably about 200 times more fun when you're playing it with people you enjoy talking to/playing with, but when you're playing it by yourself or with randos, your enjoyability of the game relies on how quickly you get sick of doing the same thing over and over again, and I get sick of repetitive tasks very quickly.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been playing (or binging more like) the original Borderlands game on PSNOW.

The game is mindless fun, and I'm hopelessly enthralled. I haven't been following the story, mainly because the only time I can play it is when my fiance is asleep and I have to keep the volume down. I was up until 3am playing it last week.

There's lots of silly side-missions where you either retrieve items or you kill something. I compulsively have to complete every one of them.

I'm at the end of the game, haven't been able to find the free time to kill the endboss though. I recommend it for people who just like to wreak havoc in a video game, plus it can be played cooperatively if that's your thing.
    Welcome to the club. If you like 1 you need to play 2

Everything that's good about 1 is muliplied 10 fold

5. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGlass View Post
    That said I played The Division and got sick of it after a month or so when I realized that the only reason I was playing these missions was so I'd be able to beat the same missions more easily the next time I played these missions, and that realization pissed me off.
    Yeah, that's kind of where I was with Borderlands. It just got to the point where I was leveling up for the sake of leveling up. While I'm sure there have been times I haven't minded it, that game wasn't one of those times.

I think that style of game is probably about 200 times more fun when you're playing it with people you enjoy talking to/playing with, but when you're playing it by yourself or with randos, your enjoyability of the game relies on how quickly you get sick of doing the same thing over and over again, and I get sick of repetitive tasks very quickly.
    Probably 100% on the money here.

Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    Welcome to the club. If you like 1 you need to play 2

Everything that's good about 1 is muliplied 10 fold
    One game that I've played that's an example of the types of tropes utilized for Borderlands, but fails miserably at presenting them in a fun or interesting manner was Rage.

After playing Rage all the way through and hating myself for playing it, Borderlands was a breath of fresh air.

With Borderlands:

The driving was kind of annoying, using only the thumbsticks to steer and accelerate seemed silly. I was complaining to myself about there being no fast travel system, and then I unlocked the fast travel system.

The gameplay is very repetitive, but it's perfect for someone like me. I have OCDs about doing a thorough job of cleaning an area, so mowing down enemies with an explosive augmented shotgun was very soothing.

The experience system is satisfying, but seems like a petty aesthetic when all you really care about is having an arsenal with high stats.

I killed the end boss the other day. Not going to spoil the ending, but I'd be complaining if the game up until that point didn't keep me enthralled.

I started a game on 2 and already ran into what seems to be a famous glitch where you get hopelessly trapped in a porto-potty door. I'll pick it up and play some more when the frustration wares off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I started a game on 2 and already ran into what seems to be a famous glitch where you get hopelessly trapped in a porto-potty door. I'll pick it up and play some more when the frustration wares off.
    I have never had this happen to me ever. Where did it hapen to you?
    Last edited by 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders; 05-10-2018 at 01:24 AM.

I have never had this happen to me ever. Where did it hapen to you?
    Very early on there's that mission to get Claptrap to his ship. I was going through what I believe was a shipwreck, in an effort to raise a platform elevator that Claptrap was waiting on.

I opened a porto-potty and went to pick up the loot inside, then I couldn't move. I could look and shoot. Couldn't walk in a direction or even jump. I looked online and saw that a few message boards had posts from people who encountered the same problem at various areas of the game, and the consensus was that you could only resolve the problem by quitting the game.
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Very early on there's that mission to get Claptrap to his ship. I was going through what I believe was a shipwreck, in an effort to raise a platform elevator that Claptrap was waiting on.

I opened a porto-potty and went to pick up the loot inside, then I couldn't move. I could look and shoot. Couldn't walk in a direction or even jump. I looked online and saw that a few message boards had posts from people who encountered the same problem at various areas of the game, and the consensus was that you could only resolve the problem by quitting the game.
    Well that blows. At least you're still in the beginning ofcthe game if you have to start over

Well that blows. At least you're still in the beginning ofcthe game if you have to start over
    It's not a huge setback. I was able to start again at the first settlement with everything I had earned up until the glitch happened.

I finished the mission and all, I'm just probably going to take a little while longer than usual to get back on it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hate how expensive video games are.

Thread Information